The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship [2018]

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Discussion topics

What scheme and location are you applying to?

What are you currently studying or where do you work?

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I really want to apply for this apprenticeship. I found out about last year but was not old enough to apply (I'm 16 now.) and have been waiting ever since.

I plan to apply for Business and, possibly, Commercial in London (as it is closest to where I live.) But, I must admit, I'm quite nervous.

Also, I've read that the applications open on the 28th of February, so not long now!
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm very keen on the new policy apprenticeship scheme. Shall be applying for London.
Applications will be open from midday 28th Feb - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fast-track-2018-opening-28-february
I'm looking at the policy programme too!
Reply 5
I think there might be a typo on their Business page. It says 'if your over 18 you'll need 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (or expect to have them by August 2018).
If your under 18 you'll also need a Level 3 qualification.'

But surely you can't get a Level 3 qualification (an A-level) until you are 18, that's when you do your exam?
I was going to apply for commercial but the Policy apprenticeship looks so exciting and interesting, I will apply for that. Lucky that it's in Birmingham as well, which is where I live.

I'm in Year 13, haven't applied for Uni. This apprenticeship is my number one choice.
Reply 7
I'm also applying to policy. I wasn't going to apply at first because I thought all of the schemes were irrelevant to politics (the subject I would study at university), but the new scheme is great. As nerdy as it may sound, "preparing and drafting information for senior officials, such as Government Ministers" would be really interesting.

I currently live in Chester but I'm going to be applying for London. Not only is that where most of the jobs are, I feel that moving to London would help socially. By not going to university you miss out on making friends through halls and societies, but because of the high rent in London I would probably end up living in a shared flat where it would be easy to make friends. Also, I'd rather not live with my parents for any longer than necessary.
Original post by JoshuaE
I'm also applying to policy. I wasn't going to apply at first because I thought all of the schemes were irrelevant to politics (the subject I would study at university), but the new scheme is great. As nerdy as it may sound, "preparing and drafting information for senior officials, such as Government Ministers" would be really interesting.

I currently live in Chester but I'm going to be applying for London. Not only is that where most of the jobs are, I feel that moving to London would help socially. By not going to university you miss out on making friends through halls and societies, but because of the high rent in London I would probably end up living in a shared flat where it would be easy to make friends. Also, I'd rather not live with my parents for any longer than necessary.

My thoughts exactly 😂
Just being able to work on a policy, no matter how "boring" it is considered, excites me so much.
I'll be applying to the technology stream in London.
Been really eager to apply for this since a friend suggested it last year but unfortunately i just missed it when i came to apply. Going to be applying for the Business & Commercial in Liverpool. Been doing loads of research & am slightly worried about the online tests. 6 minutes to complete 36 numerical questions seems impossible as that equates to 10 seconds per question? But guess it must be quality over quantity.

Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by LaraJ1997
Been really eager to apply for this since a friend suggested it last year but unfortunately i just missed it when i came to apply. Going to be applying for the Business & Commercial in Liverpool. Been doing loads of research & am slightly worried about the online tests. 6 minutes to complete 36 numerical questions seems impossible as that equates to 10 seconds per question? But guess it must be quality over quantity.

Good luck everyone :smile:

https://faststream.blog.gov.uk/2016/10/04/fast-stream-2017-the-online-tests/

No more verbal/numerical tests on the initial stage :smile:
This is for faststream the fasttrack will still have numerical and verbal reasoning tests
I'm interested in commercial
Location = Manchester
Any other commercial applicants?
I originally planned to put Business as my first option, but now it's Commercial. I love the idea of working in procurement, negotiating contracts, ensuring value for money, that sort of thing.
Applications are OPEN!
I think you can apply for more than 1 but they chose which of those would suit you best.
Original post by EDMacRae
I think you can apply for more than 1 but they chose which of those would suit you best.

You have to rank all the schemes in order of preference, and this is the same for location, though you don't have to select all of them. I've just finished the online parts of it, we get the results back within 8 weeks.
Original post by Undefined..
You have to rank all the schemes in order of preference, and this is the same for location, though you don't have to select all of them. I've just finished the online parts of it, we get the results back within 8 weeks.

What did you apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending