The Student Room Group

Applicant days for possible Unis

I have attended open days with my son for various unis, should he also attend applicant days for all 5 of his uni choices ?
Original post by Marthacookie
I have attended open days with my son for various unis, should he also attend applicant days for all 5 of his uni choices ?

You don't have to go to applicant days, it can be useful to help make a decision though
Original post by claireestelle
You don't have to go to applicant days, it can be useful to help make a decision though

Thanks. How will applicant days differ from the open days?
Thanks. How will applicant days differ from the open days?

They could be more subject specific rather than just a general talk on the course in some cases.
Original post by claireestelle
They could be more subject specific rather than just a general talk on the course in some cases.

Thank you, claireestelle. Some of the unis are a long distance away so I want to be sure that applicant days are not just a repeat of the open days! Thanks again!
Thank you, claireestelle. Some of the unis are a long distance away so I want to be sure that applicant days are not just a repeat of the open days! Thanks again!

Try evaluating which universities you would put as firm and insurance. If you are undecided or not confident in your decisions, best to visit. Otherwise there isn't a reason you have to go.
Original post by Rohit Joshi
Try evaluating which universities you would put as firm and insurance. If you are undecided or not confident in your decisions, best to visit. Otherwise there isn't a reason you have to go.

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I think we will look at which unis he is most likely to meet the entry requirements for and attend applicant days for tthose unis.
Applicant days normally give the prospective student a chance to talk with a tutor from the department they are applying to. Some uni’s will allocate a specific short 10-15 minute informal interview between tutor and student so the course can be explained and the student can ask questions etc.

Open days are less specific and more general.

Two of my sons started Uni in 2016 and 2017 and after we had visited a few open days we narrowed down Applicant days to the top two choices they preferred so we could go away from Applicant day and then firm a choice and insure a choice.

As parents it can get very expensive in terms of travel and stay- overs so for those who don’t have unlimited funds, it is wise to whittle down the applicant days to 2 or 3 choices at the most.
Original post by Bernadette04
Applicant days normally give the prospective student a chance to talk with a tutor from the department they are applying to. Some uni’s will allocate a specific short 10-15 minute informal interview between tutor and student so the course can be explained and the student can ask questions etc.

Open days are less specific and more general.

Two of my sons started Uni in 2016 and 2017 and after we had visited a few open days we narrowed down Applicant days to the top two choices they preferred so we could go away from Applicant day and then firm a choice and insure a choice.

As parents it can get very expensive in terms of travel and stay- overs so for those who don’t have unlimited funds, it is wise to whittle down the applicant days to 2 or 3 choices at the most.

Very true, Bernadette04 - travelling & stay over costs are expensive and it is getting more difficult for my son to find time for so many visits as A levels approach. He did manage to talk to most of the department tutors at two of the Unis' open days, so he may not need to revisit those. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending