Turn on thread page Beta

Hiya,

I've been wearing glasses for 1.5 years now, and my prescription is very high. I really hate wearing my glasses becuse they are just not my thing. So I tried wearing contacts, but I think I should wear them when I am a bit older becuse I feel that I'm not ready for them.

I really want to lower my prescription, and hopefully oneday I won't need glasses. So how do I lower my prescription?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There is no "natural" way to lower it. Laser eye surgery is one method of "treatment". How high is your prescription? I am also very high + have astigmatism, so much so that contact lens companies do not make my prescription and I have to wear glasses.

ReputationRep:
    As an Optometrist I must say there is no "natural" or "alternative" way to improve your vision. However, my own experience shows the opposite. I improved from -3.75 and cyl of -1.75 to -2.25 and cyl -1.25 in two years (Now I am stuck at the same level, or maybe a bit worse to be honest... didn't check it the last half a year).
    I was working on my diet and habits, improving my sleep (not the best yet much more stable at 6-7 hours a day), improving the posture. Also I started wearing weaker glasses, just enough not to squint and most of the time just was not wearing glasses at all, I also joined acro-yoga both as relaxation and as a rehabilitation from an injury. In addition I did eye exercises, and practiced focusing.

I am not saying it will work for everyone, but it did for me. I am still not sure how much it can improve anymore if it can at all, maybe there is a limit to it like the physical shape of the eye can't change, and compensative focus maybe can't last long... but still it worked and I am happy with that.

Another thing I must add, wearing strong prescription for all distances is not recomended, you should check separate glasses for computer use and up close, especially if you are a student .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    There is no "natural" way to lower it. Laser eye surgery is one method of "treatment". How high is your prescription? I am also very high + have astigmatism, so much so that contact lens companies do not make my prescription and I have to wear glasses.
    What is your prescription? You can make now contacts for almost any prescription possible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2018
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.