Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I am in the top for French, however only 5 of us are doing higher. My French teacher is not very good, at all. Our class doesn't behave and we're finding it hard to learn anything. I'm just wondering where I should be in terms of learning and how much should be able to do. Because French at our school is a joke. I have been learning the AQA vocab off of my own back though. We have tried to talk to teachers but they couldn't care less so.... I need help.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleperson)
    OK, so I am in the top for French, however only 5 of us are doing higher. My French teacher is not very good, at all. Our class doesn't behave and we're finding it hard to learn anything. I'm just wondering where I should be in terms of learning and how much should be able to do. Because French at our school is a joke. I have been learning the AQA vocab off of my own back though. We have tried to talk to teachers but they couldn't care less so.... I need help.
    Hi! The first question I have for you is are you in year 10 or 11? I figure 11 since you're actually worried about this stuff! Also, what grades are you getting? This is important to know in regards to where you should be at.

It's common to struggle with some areas of learning a language, particularly in such a rigid (and in your case, disorganized) curriculum/class.

Some general stuff that you need to know at GCSE is: all regular present tense conjugations, as well as the main irregulars, the perfect tense, including MRS VAN DER TRAMP verbs, the imperfect tense, the near future, and the future tenses. You will also need to know about the culture in France - politics, education, and multiculturalism are key areas to focus on. For vocab, you can use a variety of apps, books, and other sources to improve your language - I particularly enjoy the app Memrise, and the website/app Vocab Express (VE should have your curriculum specific vocab, which is very beneficial).

In terms of listening exercises, there are some great videos on Youtube that can help you. search french listening practice. Listening is the hardest part of the language - or at least it is for me - so take it slow, and try not to get too worked up over it. For reading and translation, you should just read and practice as much as possible. Again, there are millions of places online you can do this. A good tip is to try to use your existing vocab to decipher the meaning of words you don't recognize, such as by looking at the prefixes, suffixes, and verb/noun forms of the word.

Two little tips is that all words ending in -ion are always feminine, and all words ending in -isme are always masculine.

Other than that, feel free to reply and ask for more help. In the meantime, listen to some Christophe Mae, and relax - you've still 5 months til the exams!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! As a French student who's passionate about foreign languages I like to help people when I can! If you have specific questions you may still ask me

(Original post by BJBrown50)
    Two little tips is that all words ending in -ion are always feminine, and all words ending in -isme are always masculine.
    If I may, there are a few exceptions to the "-ion" rule with words like "un avion" (which means "a plane") and "un lion" (which means... "a lion" obviously) which are masculine. And there is also the word "ion" itself and words composed with it like "un cation" and "un anion" (ions that have positive or negative electric charges) which are also masculine.

Good luck studying French!

I can't find exceptions to the -isme rule though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.