Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by uopcenijeasja)
    I am sorry if I post this on a wrong forum/subforum, but I would like to ask y'all a few questions.

I am an international student from Croatia(Ex-Yugoslavia) and am going to study International Relations and German at Essex starting in October 2018.

I have a kind of existencial crisis right now, since I have recently read on a lot of Forums that International Relations is a useless degree and doesn't bring many career prospects, unless a student attends top Uni such as Oxford or LSE.
    I am truly interested in this field and would like to pursue a career in it. I am hard working and will surely put in a lot of effort in studying, volunteering, etc.
    Do I have a chance in this field and how should I improve my career prospects?
    Also, could I do my Masters at, for example, LSE?

Secondly, I don't know anymore what to think about Essex. A lot of people on various Forums say that it is Not a good uni, and that I should not do my international relations degree there... On the other hand, I have seen statistics that rank it extremely high in the field( for example, according to QS World Ranking by Subject 2017, it is 36th of 200 for IR and Politics. Also according to CWUR 2017, it is among top 10 for International Relations.
    What is true and what not? Is it really that great for IR? Or did I make a mistake?

Thank you very much on your answerd, I will reading them all
    And thanks to everybody who replied on my previous post where I asked about whether I should go to one other uni or Essex.
    And sorry for grammar and other mistakes, please keep in mind that I am not a native speaker.
    The University of Essex has a great reputation for their IR department. If you were to go to LSE/Oxford for a masters degree, that would be great but you can do worse than choosing Essex for undergraduate studies. Don't mind too much about what people say on forums and don't let it affect your decision too much. We all give advice that we see as fitting and it may be right or wrong. For more information on this topic; I'll mention Michiyo who is currently studying IR at the University of Essex.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.