Turn on thread page Beta

Medical school applications 2019 entry - applying with a weak gcse profile watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omarmanutd)
    I still need to get AAA though, if I get AAB, then that luck won't be so useful lmao
    Same regretting not applying Plymouth

ReputationRep:
    I have 2A*s 4As 4Bs , and I know I won’t be applying to Birmingham or Cardiff since they do look at GCSE mostly . Is there anyone who got in to medicine with GCSEs similar to me?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student_57)
    I have 2A*s 4As 4Bs , and I know I won’t be applying to Birmingham or Cardiff since they do look at GCSE mostly . Is there anyone who got in to medicine with GCSEs similar to me?
    Avoid Edinburgh & Oxbridge too. Look at the points they will earn you at Nott & Leicester & aim to get the best UKCAT score you can to increase that score.

If it’s 670+ you can probably find Uni’s that will only look at it &/or PS eg Sheffield, Newcastle, Southampton.

Liverpool presently count As the same as A*s just check you have sufficient. Some you may need 7As min. It is completely possible if you apply strategy & have a great PS.

Look at entry requirements Plymouth, Keele, BSMS, Lancaster, Manchester, HYMS etc. Avoid Exeter unless you predicted 3A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomersetSKB)
    Avoid Edinburgh & Oxbridge too. Look at the points they will earn you at Nott & Leicester & aim to get the best UKCAT score you can to increase that score.

If it’s 670+ you can probably find Uni’s that will only look at it &/or PS eg Sheffield, Newcastle, Southampton.

Liverpool presently count As the same as A*s just check you have sufficient. Some you may need 7As min. It is completely possible if you apply strategy & have a great PS.

Look at entry requirements Plymouth, Keele, BSMS, Lancaster, Manchester, HYMS etc. Avoid Exeter unless you predicted 3A*s.
    Thank you , I am definitely working towards getting good predicted grades and a high UKCAT score . So hopefully it all goes well . Just that I have a weak GCSE profile which I think puts me at a disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    I got 2A*, 5A, 1B and 1C and had interviews at Lancaster, BSMS and Plymouth and have had offers from BSMS and Plymouth. Don't decide where you're going to apply until you've done the UKCAT/BMAT (only do the BMAT if you mess up the UKCAT). But you can rule out the GCSE heavy unis.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! That’s great, definitely I won’t be applying to GCSE heavy Unis. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Make a spreadsheet & info from websites, add scores of data that you glean from TSR. Then you can visit the realistic ones you like. Would advise early UKCAT entry eg end July so you can make good informed judgements.
    Also follow medic portal - lots of useful snippets on there to help.

ReputationRep:
    A friend got rejected pre interview for all four with
    4As achieved at A level
    7A*, 3A, 2C in English lang and lit at GCSE
    595 b2 ukcat
    9/10A bmat

He applied to Keele, Leeds, Lancaster and Cardiff

Keele and Cardiff should have been safe choices but nobody knows :/

Keele said he needed A*AA at a-level

ReputationRep:
    I don’t know for certain everywhere but C in English would be a problem for some universities. Also UKCAT below 600 would be a problem I think. Don’t think any Uni’s disregard UKCAT entirely unless BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahad27)
    A friend got rejected pre interview for all four with
    4As achieved at A level
    7A*, 3A, 2C in English lang and lit at GCSE
    595 b2 ukcat
    9/10A bmat

He applied to Keele, Leeds, Lancaster and Cardiff

Keele and Cardiff should have been safe choices but nobody knows :/

Keele said he needed A*AA at a-level
    Probably because of his English language grade. Research before applying is so vital, had he/she just applied to the unis that accept a C in English, he would've stood a much better chance (although there are fee like this, most unis ask for B's in English and maths and a few ask for A like Bristol)

ReputationRep:
    I got 4A* 5A at gcse. What is the minimum ukcat score I need to get 4 interviews ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lion-tiger)
    I got 4A* 5A at gcse. What is the minimum ukcat score I need to get 4 interviews ?
    There are other aspects to an application besides gcses and UKCAT (i.e. PS, A level predictions, BMAT if you take it, etc), so its hard to say.

However, I will say that while your GCSEs are very good, for medicine they are slightly below average so you should avoid applying to GCSE HEAVY med schools. Saying that, if you have a high UKCAT, and the med school weighs both GCSEs and UKCAT equally, then it is certainly possible to get an interview there.

Just work hard and get as high of a UKCAT as possible. If you are in yr 12 though(which I'm assuming you are), concentrate on your first year exams though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lion-tiger)
    It depends on the uni and how highly they rate the UKCAT. Some unis won't really use it (e.g Cardiff) and others will use it on its own to select applicants for interview (e.g Newcastle). Even with the unis that look at the UKCAT, they have different cut offs which you can find on the uni website. Some will be very low (e.g Plymouth) and some really high (e.g Newcastle) but if you get 700+, you'll basically get an interview from any uni that ranks you according to UKCAT only.

For 2018 entry, I know that Plymouth only required a 600 average score (which is a historic low so be careful, it may go up for 2019 entry) and Liverpool was about 615.

Unis like St. George's, Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle will be in the 650-700 range. I would recommend checking out the "applying with a high/average/low UKCAT score" page on the medicportal, they're really helpful

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the uni and how highly they rate the UKCAT. Some unis won't really use it (e.g Cardiff) and others will use it on its own to select applicants for interview (e.g Newcastle). Even with the unis that look at the UKCAT, they have different cut offs which you can find on the uni website. Some will be very low (e.g Plymouth) and some really high (e.g Newcastle) but if you get 700+, you'll basically get an interview from any uni that ranks you according to UKCAT only.

For 2018 entry, I know that Plymouth only required a 600 average score (which is a historic low so be careful, it may go up for 2019 entry) and Liverpool was about 615.

Unis like St. George's, Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle will be in the 650-700 range. I would recommend checking out the "applying with a high/average/low UKCAT score" page on the medicportal, they're really helpful
    Please keep in mind that the unis I mentioned don't all judge you on UKCAT only. For example, Liverpool will look at your PS and ensure you met their GCSE cut off (A*/A = 2 points B = 1. Cut off is 15 points from 9 GCSEs)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Try applying to St. George's London, maybe Liverpool as it is personal statement based which can make up for GCSEs and a bad ukcat. If you do well on your ukcat you'll have a lot more choices so I'd wait to get your score before you decide. Keele is probably a good choice too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iramh_)
    Hi! Try applying to St. George's London, maybe Liverpool as it is personal statement based which can make up for GCSEs and a bad ukcat. If you do well on your ukcat you'll have a lot more choices so I'd wait to get your score before you decide. Keele is probably a good choice too.
    Thank you ! I was actually considering to apply to St George’s , but I can only decide after I’ve done the UKCAT exam . Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    If you had applied to the right unis you could have got 4 interviews easily with that UKCAT. I have worse GCSEs than you and am a first year medic who got 4/4 offers.
    Where did you apply , and what were your GCSE grades?

ReputationRep:

I’m looking to apply for 2019 entry (year 12 student) and I have done a lot of research but was just wondering where I should be thinking of applying? I achieved 3A*s, 8A’s and 1B at GCSE and I’m aware that I won’t be able to apply to GCSE heavy medical schools as they are below average.. where is my best bet??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idkcaits)
    I’m looking to apply for 2019 entry (year 12 student) and I have done a lot of research but was just wondering where I should be thinking of applying? I achieved 3A*s, 8A’s and 1B at GCSE and I’m aware that I won’t be able to apply to GCSE heavy medical schools as they are below average.. where is my best bet??
    Try getting a really high UKCAT and applying to UKCAT heavy unis. If you don't do well in that try the BMAT and apply to those unis. Even if you don't do well in them (like me), apply to the ones that have low cut offs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idkcaits)
    Keele is a good choice. Try and get some hands on experience for their R&R form. Also Liverpool as when they score GCSEs, the points for an A* and an A are equal. St. George's London is also a good choice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.