Turn on thread page Beta

Medical school applications 2019 entry - applying with a weak gcse profile watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idkcaits)
    I’m looking to apply for 2019 entry (year 12 student) and I have done a lot of research but was just wondering where I should be thinking of applying? I achieved 3A*s, 8A’s and 1B at GCSE and I’m aware that I won’t be able to apply to GCSE heavy medical schools as they are below average.. where is my best bet??
    Honestly you'll have a hard time finding out at this stage.

Focus on your first year exams. When you have your UKCAT score at hand you'll have a pretty good idea where to apply to.

But I don't recommend asking or choosing your med schools at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you have the time, take a look at a few Open Days - they usually start at Easter & through the summer. You will be busy in September and the closing date is mid October.
    You can pick up all sorts of snippets of information about UKCAT scores etc. But don't bother with ones you "can't" apply to eg Cardiff, Exeter, Edinburgh. Try those where you know already that GCSE's will be acceptable & are closer to home - Plymouth, St George's, Liverpool,Keele, HYMS. Also Uni's like Sheffield, Newcastle, Southampton who mostly choose on UKCAT scores could be worth a look if one of them is close. I'd think you will be borderline for Uni's like B'ham, Leicester & Nottingham unless you pull a really great UKCAT score but don't be put off if you love one of them - we risked it and it came good. Reconsider your strategy once you have that score in the summer.
    Also make sure you have plenty of work experience/ volunteering etc to ensure plenty for your R&R form and/ or Personal Statement.
    Enter for your UKCAT as soon as registration opens - you can move it later if need be - but don't start studying for it just yet.
    Regret I don't know much about BMAT Uni's = didn't apply to any of those but do your research on them.

ReputationRep:
    I got AABBBBBCC for GCSE but I am on my way to be predicted A* A A - I'm just unsure what uni's to apply for? Atm I've thought Newcastle, Exeter and Plymouth... Any opinions or advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypenguin)
    I got AABBBBBCC for GCSE but I am on my way to be predicted A* A A - I'm just unsure what uni's to apply for? Atm I've thought Newcastle, Exeter and Plymouth... Any opinions or advice?
    Brighton and Sussex is a good option if you do the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at GCSE requirements for all the Uni's to make sure you have sufficient A grades before shortlisting. Some specify.
    Steer clear of Exeter unless your UKCAT is great and predicted grades at least A* A* A minimum (better if you have 3 A*).

ReputationRep:
    i thought Exeter entry requirements are A*AA-AAA?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes but they tier you based on your predictions. This year you either needed to have achieved A*A*A or be predicted A*A*A* to be considered. You also need 670+ ukcat. I wouldn't advise applying with only 2 A* predictions considering this years cut off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iramh_)
    Yes but they tier you based on your predictions. This year you either needed to have achieved A*A*A or be predicted A*A*A* to be considered. You also need 670+ ukcat. I wouldn't advise applying with only 2 A* predictions considering this years cut off.
    I agree. My friend applied to Exeter with predicted 3A*s and a 630 UKCAT and got a reserve interview which meant that if he did well in interview they would put him on a reserve list. If his stats only got him a reserve interview, 2A* predicted is an almost certain rejection

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied to study undergraduate Medicine as a home student for 2018 entry. Unlike many people you will see on TSR, I was not the ideal candidate; I had average GCSES and a below average UKCAT score. Despite what I thought was extensive research, I am now realising that I made many mistakes when selecting my universities. There aren't many people out there who talk about having a weak application and so, I'm hoping that this post helps those of you who may not have the best stats.

SIDE NOTE: At GCSE I obtained 4A*s and 6As. My ukcat score averaged at 623 and the average for 2018 entry was 635. My total score was 2490. The universities I applied to were Exeter, Leicester, Keele and Leeds (BMAT). My BMAT score was 4.9 4.9 4.5 A (slightly above average). I was rejected from Leicester, Leeds and Exeter pre-interview and I have received an interview from Keele.

CHOOSING YOUR UNIVERSITIES:

1. If you have a strong GCSE profile (7/8 A*s) and an average /above average UKCAT score, APPLY ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. If you have a strong GCSE profile (7/8A*s) and a below average UKCAT, consider applying to Birmingham and Cardiff as a majority of their application weighting is allocated to GCSEs.
    3. If you have a weaker GCSE profile and an ABOVE average UKCAT score (ideally 700+), consider UKCAT heavy universities such as Sheffield, Manchester,KCL and Newcastle.
    4.If you have average GCSEs for a medical school applicant (4A* or less) and a weaker UKCAT score, consider the following options:

- Keele University: Keele University does select its candidates based on their GCSEs or UKCAT score. They require applicants to meet their basic GCSE requirements (5As and at least a grade B in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Language) and UKCAT cut off (Keele do not consider the bottom 20% of UKCAT scores or individuals who obtain Band 4 in the Situational Judgement test). For 2018 entry, Keele's UKCAT cut off was a total of 2340 which is an average of 585. Once an applicant has met these requirements, these requirements are not considered further. The main way in which Keele University selects its interviewees is through their Roles and Responsibilities form. This form requires applicants to discuss specified moments within any HANDS ON EXPERIENCE they have. Unlike work shadowing, Keele is interested to know what applicants have done themselves, and how this has developed skills that will allow them to be a good doctor. This form is accessible online and so, applicants can plan their answers well ahead of time. The form is sent to applicants through an email after they have applied. Keele also requires applicants to declare information about the experiences mentioned on the form, including a start date, number of hours, role within the organisation and contact details of each of your work experiences. THEY WILL CHECK SO DO NOT LIE!

https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleu...0for%20web.pdf

The other universities I urge you to consider are universities I did not apply to, however have had friends apply with similar profiles who went on to receive interviews:

-The University of Liverpool
    -St. George's University of London
    -Hull-York Medical School
    -Brighton and Sussex Medical school (BMAT)

Remember that Medicine is Medicine no matter where you end up. If you really want to be a doctor, nothing can stop you. JUST TRY NOT TO MAKE SILLY CHOICES LIKE I DID!
    where would you recommend applying with 6 a stars, 4 as and a b? I'm struggling to work out which universities favour what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliekc)
    where would you recommend applying with 6 a stars, 4 as and a b? I'm struggling to work out which universities favour what
    It all depends on your ukcat really. If you score above average (let's say 650+) you could apply to Leicester Nottingham they might be safe choices. If you score really high, you could apply to Sheffield(670+) or Manchester. If you score below average, keele, Liverpool, HYMS are good choices. If you don't do as well as you hope, you could take the bmat? I'd reccomend looking at the ukcat and doing some practice and seeing how you feel about it before you decide about the bmat. Also if you do want to take the bmat, try to take your ukcat earlier so that you don't have to stress about it while studying for bmat. They offer the bmat in sepetember and November. November time is when I took it but I found it really hard to cope with school work and the bmat. It depends on you really. The September date is slightly more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    You really need predicted A*A*A* for Exeter, Newcastle - if you get a 700ish UKCAT, Plymouth is a good bet, they are upping their intake for 2019 from 80 to 140, lowish UKCAT requirements, Basic GCSE requirements, don't really use PS that much, individual interview, so a good chance to show yourself off. My daughter has got a place for this year and loves it, she is firming it. Go to the open day, I think they really sold themselves well. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    what unis would be the best for me to apply to? predicted A* AA at a level but got A*AABBBBBCC in GCSE. Got a B in maths and English lang. please help im stressing . i wanted to apply Newcastle, Exeter, and Plymouth? is that wise

ReputationRep:
    what unis would be the best for me to apply to? predicted A* AA at a level but got A*AABBBBBCC in GCSE. Got a B in maths and English lang. please help im stressing . i wanted to apply Newcastle, Exeter, and Plymouth? is that wise
    You can’t really decide until you’ve done your UKCAT/BMAT. Once you’ve received scores for both, then apply to unis that have similar cut offs as your scores. I wouldn’t recommend GCSE heavy unis and I wouldn’t recommend Bristol or Southampton as they require As in maths and English (not 100% sure about Southampton)

ReputationRep:
    You've been answered in the post above?

I wouldn't recommend Exeter as you need A*A*A* predictions to be selected for interview.
    For Newcastle you need a massive UKCAT score.
    Plymouth you should be fine but again it depends on your UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter says a*aa - AAA on the website?

ReputationRep:
    yes, but they put people into "tiers" to decide who to interview. Achieved A levels first, all A* next, etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied to study undergraduate Medicine as a home student for 2018 entry. Unlike many people you will see on TSR, I was not the ideal candidate; I had average GCSES and a below average UKCAT score. Despite what I thought was extensive research, I am now realising that I made many mistakes when selecting my universities. There aren't many people out there who talk about having a weak application and so, I'm hoping that this post helps those of you who may not have the best stats.

SIDE NOTE: At GCSE I obtained 4A*s and 6As. My ukcat score averaged at 623 and the average for 2018 entry was 635. My total score was 2490. The universities I applied to were Exeter, Leicester, Keele and Leeds (BMAT). My BMAT score was 4.9 4.9 4.5 A (slightly above average). I was rejected from Leicester, Leeds and Exeter pre-interview and I have received an interview from Keele.

CHOOSING YOUR UNIVERSITIES:

1. If you have a strong GCSE profile (7/8 A*s) and an average /above average UKCAT score, APPLY ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. If you have a strong GCSE profile (7/8A*s) and a below average UKCAT, consider applying to Birmingham and Cardiff as a majority of their application weighting is allocated to GCSEs.
    3. If you have a weaker GCSE profile and an ABOVE average UKCAT score (ideally 700+), consider UKCAT heavy universities such as Sheffield, Manchester,KCL and Newcastle.
    4.If you have average GCSEs for a medical school applicant (4A* or less) and a weaker UKCAT score, consider the following options:

- Keele University: Keele University does select its candidates based on their GCSEs or UKCAT score. They require applicants to meet their basic GCSE requirements (5As and at least a grade B in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Language) and UKCAT cut off (Keele do not consider the bottom 20% of UKCAT scores or individuals who obtain Band 4 in the Situational Judgement test). For 2018 entry, Keele's UKCAT cut off was a total of 2340 which is an average of 585. Once an applicant has met these requirements, these requirements are not considered further. The main way in which Keele University selects its interviewees is through their Roles and Responsibilities form. This form requires applicants to discuss specified moments within any HANDS ON EXPERIENCE they have. Unlike work shadowing, Keele is interested to know what applicants have done themselves, and how this has developed skills that will allow them to be a good doctor. This form is accessible online and so, applicants can plan their answers well ahead of time. The form is sent to applicants through an email after they have applied. Keele also requires applicants to declare information about the experiences mentioned on the form, including a start date, number of hours, role within the organisation and contact details of each of your work experiences. THEY WILL CHECK SO DO NOT LIE!

https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleu...0for%20web.pdf

The other universities I urge you to consider are universities I did not apply to, however have had friends apply with similar profiles who went on to receive interviews:

-The University of Liverpool
    -St. George's University of London
    -Hull-York Medical School
    -Brighton and Sussex Medical school (BMAT)

Remember that Medicine is Medicine no matter where you end up. If you really want to be a doctor, nothing can stop you. JUST TRY NOT TO MAKE SILLY CHOICES LIKE I DID!
    I'm currently in year 12 and my GCSEs are 2A*s 5As and 3Bs, I admit they aren't amazing but in context i was in the top 6 at my school, do you have any universities that you think would be best to apply to?
    Also, I'm currently thinking, Newcastle and East Anglia for sure? but i'm not 100% sure yet.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicinemaniac)
    I'm currently in year 12 and my GCSEs are 2A*s 5As and 3Bs, I admit they aren't amazing but in context i was in the top 6 at my school, do you have any universities that you think would be best to apply to?
    Also, I'm currently thinking, Newcastle and East Anglia for sure? but i'm not 100% sure yet.
    Thank you
    Newcastle are good if you have a brilliant UKCAT (700+).
    East Anglia are reasonably GCSE heavy (more so than UKCAT), so you might wanna avoid there, but you can try).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicinemaniac)
    Thank you
    Leicester if you score above average. I think they're a good choice for people with fewer A*s. You can calculate and see if you meet their cut off. It's really important you choose unis that don't focus on GCSEs such as Liverpool, St. George's. Have a look at Plymouth or Southampton? Hyms or keele?

ReputationRep:
    It’s really important that when selecting a uni, you look at their selection process not their minimum requirements. Although AAA is sufficient to be considered at Exeter, they judge you on predicted grades and UKCAT. This year no one who was predicted below 3A* was given an interview, same with last year

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.