The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandra Yossa
Hi
My GCSE's are quite low for medical school, I got 1 A* 4As and 5Bs,however I've been working really hard at A levels and my predicted grades are A*AA for Biology,Chemistry and Religious studies. I was looking at Unis such as Manchester,Liverpool,Newcastle,Plymouth and Kings College.
Do you think these are suitable for me?
Is there anyone else who's got grades similar to me that has got in?
Any major advice?

These are all very suitable. You have a good chance of getting in if your personal statement is very polished and gets you to the interview stage, where you will really need to shine.
Hi, I have 6A*, 4As and 1B in my GCSE and likely to be predicted A*AA in my A Level. Woking on my UKCAT and hoping to score a minimum of 2650. Which are the universities that do you think I stand a good chance of getting an interview?
Original post by DoctorMo
These are all very suitable. You have a good chance of getting in if your personal statement is very polished and gets you to the interview stage, where you will really need to shine.

Thank you.
I really hope so, as seeing other people's GCSE results can be quite discouraging but I'll just have to do my best for the UKCAT.
hey im pretty nervous about my application, here it is
GCSEs 6A* including math and sciences 2 As and 1 B in english language
predicted AAA* in bio chem and english literature (do you think english will harm my application)
and UKCAT is in August but i achieve avg 620 kinda at this time
thinking of Nottingham,Bristol,Newcastle,Birmingham and Brighton.

Guys I'd really appreciate any advice !!!
I did badly in GCSE's due to certain circumstances and got A*AABBBBBCC.
I want to apply for Medicine at:
Kings College London
St Georges London
Newcastle
Hull York
I meet all their minimum entry requirements.
My predicted grades are A*AA
UKCAT will hopefully be very high.
Are these unis okay? I think I'm applying strategically but unsure about St Georges.

Hey guys I’ve made a poll for the UKCAT scores for 2019 entry:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
Feel free to visit and vote on it. I’m not sure that the url will work but if you type in UKCAT 2019 poll in the search bar, it should work
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on where to apply.

My GCSE grades are
5A*: Biology, Geography, History, Performing Arts, Food Tech
2A: Chemistry, Physics
3 6's (equiv B): Maths, English Lang, English Lit
2C: Further maths, Spanish

Fly in the ointment - predicted grades: A/A* ~Biology, A/A* Geography BUT prob B chemistry (I've already tried begging but she's not having it)

UKCAT: 695 Sitting BMAT in October

Work experience: 1 week with general surgeon, 1 week with cardiac perfusionist, 2 days with GP, 3 days pharmacy
Volunteering: weekly at nursing home and St John Ambulance
Job: Fully qualified and experienced Swimming Teacher
Extenuating circumstances: Young Carer

I'd definitely like to apply to Leeds and Newcastle (I meet the criteria for Partners at Newcastle and Access to Leeds. I'd prefer to stay close to West Yorkshire if poss due to my family circumstances.

So that's me in a nutshell.
Will the B prediction in Chemistry hold me back - which Uni's will that rule out?
Where would you recommend I should apply?

Thanks in advance...
Original post by pharlmer
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on where to apply.

My GCSE grades are
5A*: Biology, Geography, History, Performing Arts, Food Tech
2A: Chemistry, Physics
3 6's (equiv B): Maths, English Lang, English Lit
2C: Further maths, Spanish

Fly in the ointment - predicted grades: A/A* ~Biology, A/A* Geography BUT prob B chemistry (I've already tried begging but she's not having it)

UKCAT: 695 Sitting BMAT in October

Work experience: 1 week with general surgeon, 1 week with cardiac perfusionist, 2 days with GP, 3 days pharmacy
Volunteering: weekly at nursing home and St John Ambulance
Job: Fully qualified and experienced Swimming Teacher
Extenuating circumstances: Young Carer

I'd definitely like to apply to Leeds and Newcastle (I meet the criteria for Partners at Newcastle and Access to Leeds. I'd prefer to stay close to West Yorkshire if poss due to my family circumstances.

So that's me in a nutshell.
Will the B prediction in Chemistry hold me back - which Uni's will that rule out?
Where would you recommend I should apply?

Thanks in advance...

Damn!!! Your work experience is booming,
I really have nothing to say but you can always take a gap year and think it through.
Original post by Shish_bish
Damn!!! Your work experience is booming,
I really have nothing to say but you can always take a gap year and think it through.

Thanks but I really want to apply this year. I have a chemistry tutor and I'm hoping I can get an A in chemistry next year. A 'B' might be acceptable for Leeds and Newcastle under their widening participation. I just need to know where might ignore this prediction and look more at my UKCAT, GCSEs and PS...
I'm predicted A*AA, GCSEs: 4A*, 4A, 2B I'm also hoping to apply to KCL, Newcastle and Liverpool. I think this is possible just need a reasonably high UKCAT score and strong PS for GCSEs to be overlooked. I've just started a KCL Medicine thread so feel free to join:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5546716
Hi I just recently got my GCSE result

I got 9 in maths and combined since
A* in further maths
7 in ICT,computer science,statistics and English literature
But a 4 in English language ( i don't know what happened here , I was very shocked)

I am very worried about my grade 4 in English language when applying for medical school such as in Birmingham ( i want to go to a top university) , so how likely am I be able to get in with these grades if I also do well in my A levels
Science *
Original post by Learnonthego
Hi I just recently got my GCSE result

I got 9 in maths and combined since
A* in further maths
7 in ICT,computer science,statistics and English literature
But a 4 in English language ( i don't know what happened here , I was very shocked)

I am very worried about my grade 4 in English language when applying for medical school such as in Birmingham ( i want to go to a top university) , so how likely am I be able to get in with these grades if I also do well in my A levels

Birmingham have a scoring system 60% weighted towards GCSE grades, and within that weighted towards A* achievement, with lower points awarded for A and B grades. Even if you scored very highly in the aptitude test UKCAT (the other 40% of the weighting), it's unlikely you would be anywhere near the cut off score for interview.

This document will give you an idea of which Med Schools accept a C at GCSE. https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

There will be some options for you to apply, but it will be restricted, and will depend how you do in UKCAT and/or BMAT.

btw, there is no such thing as a top university for medicine. A degree from one is treated exactly the same as a degree from another.
Original post by Omarmanutd
I have 2.5A*, 6As, 1B and a C at GCSE, 612.5 UKCAT and a 11.8A BMAT and I managed 3/4 interviews along with 2 offers for 2018 entry medicine

Plymouth - interview and offer
Brighton and Sussex- interview and offer
Lancaster - interview (waiting till march)
Leeds - rejected

Just do loads and loads of research about which medical schools you may have a chance at. Trust me it'll pay off a s it did for me. If you get an interview, that's great because it means you're poor grades/scores won't hold you back anymore. It'll be all about the performance at interview whether you had 1A* or 11A* at GCSE

Hi,

Do you mind me asking your A level predictions? I have similar GCSEs to you, and yet to do my ukcat but thinking of applying to Plymouth.
Hey guys I’ve made a poll for UKCAT 2019. Click on this link to get to it:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5517144&p=79577480&page=4#post79577480
The peak is at 650-700 right now but I only have 100 votes and around 7000 people have sat it so far (UKCAT people sent an email about this) so if you guys could please vote and post your scores, we can all have a much better idea of what the scores could be like
People got into Plymouth this year with AAB - they look favorably on students who have put them down as their firm choice. My daughter is starting Plymouth next week and it is a fabulous place with a very friendly medical school. They are doubling the amount of students, that they accept, next year - so it would certainly be a good option. Hope this helps
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey I was predicted AAA at A level. Predicted grades don’t matter too much (unless you’re applying to Exeter)

(Original post by Emx1999)Hi,

Do you mind me asking your A level predictions? I have similar GCSEs to you, and yet to do my ukcat but thinking of applying to Plymouth.
Original post by Mamamitwix
People got into Plymouth this year with AAB - they look favorably on students who have put them down as their firm choice. My daughter is starting Plymouth next week and it is a fabulous place with a very friendly medical school. They are doubling the amount of students, that they accept, next year - so it would certainly be a good option. Hope this helps

Thanks- yeah, I called their admissions team, they mentioned. But which also means they’ll be interviewing more too. I haven’t been yet, but might be going to the upcoming open day. Congratz to your daughter! Thank you
GCSE's - 9A*, 2A (ICT and English Literature)
UKCAT - 682.5 band 1
AS levels - AAAB
A levels - hopefully AAA/A*AA

Do I have a good chance for Birmingham and Kings college??

Also do you have to get A*AA predictions for these two, to be considered or can I still get in with predictions of AAA???
Original post by Katie.12
GCSE's - 9A*, 2A (ICT and English Literature)
UKCAT - 682.5 band 1
AS levels - AAAB
A levels - hopefully AAA/A*AA

Do I have a good chance for Birmingham and Kings college??

Also do you have to get A*AA predictions for these two, to be considered or can I still get in with predictions of AAA???

Only regarding Birmingham - you stand a really good chance, but only if your prediction is A*AA. They won’t accept with AAA. Your GCSEs and ukcat are really strong so you should score well above 7 points in their screening (7 is usually the cut off )

Latest

Trending

Trending