The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

What will my study costs be studying bioengineering?

I'm just wondering how much I'd have to spend on things like stationary, textbooks etc. every year. A general estimate would be fine but if more of a specific figure (especially those of you who do bioengineering or anything similar) that'd be great! :biggrin:

Note: I am hoping to do Bioengineering with an Intergrated Foundation Year
Don't buy textbooks, they're a waste of money and you won't use them. Most lecturers will pretty much copy and paste them into their lecture slides, if not go above what they say. The first times I used a textbook were this year in 4th year, both times because they were written by lecturers at the university who were the authority on the subjects and they were provided for free. Engineering Mathematics by KA Stroud might be worth the investment, dare I say it's the engineer's equivalent of a stethoscope, but otherwise don't bother.

Other that textbooks you'll spend maybe £20 per year on those kind of things, £5-10 for pens, similar amount for notebooks, maybe £15 for a uni approved calculator when you lose yours. I'm not sure if they're actually requiring you to buy a lab book now, they did when I was in earlier years but they didn't really enforce it.

I do Aero, which shares a lot of modules with Bioeng (and so I also know a few Bioeng'ers), and I did the foundation year many moons ago so may be able to answer any other questions you may have.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
I'm doing the foundation Year for ChemEng this September! Really looking forward to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending