Turn on thread page Beta

Thoughts on this statement? watch

“If there was no religion, there would be no war.”

ReputationRep:
    You can pin a lot of wars on religion, but you can pin just as many on battles over resources, politics, nationalism, human greed and cruelty- holding a particular moral or theistic belief just gives you 'justification' and a good way of blinkering troops into doing what you need.

Take WWI, for example, which started after years of mounting political tensions between countries and alliances, and was escalated into full-scale conflict by the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. Even in WWII, the start of the war itself was more about Hitler being sneaky and invading places he shouldn't have. The oppression of Jews, Catholics, and other religious minorities in Germany were secondary reasons for the Allies to stand up to him.

Even with wars that have been started over religion, I'm willing to bet that a good chunk of them were actually started because some leader wanted to control a natural resource or gain new territory, then slapped 'fight these godless heathens' onto it to persuade their subjects to join their cause or fight even harder- and even then, conscription, patriotism, or the good old demonisation of some baby-eating, cattle-raping foreign enemy could be similarly effective.

Overall, even if we didn't have religion, humans are nasty enough to find any reason to start a fight.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. This is a very strong claim. I 100% agree with the claim that religion causes war, and personally also strongly believe that if there were no religion, there would be less war. But there would still be war.

Ultimately, we see all the time lots of wars being waged for selfish reasons e.g. for oil (couldn't possibly think of a contemporary example) or money. Also general disagreements also occur a lot of the time between countries over other beliefs. I think even between non-believers there are big disagreements on a lot of different ideals, particularly political standpoints, and this causes a huge amount of war.

I think we will be seeing lots of different types of wars in the future including water wars (give them a google search... interesting but SCARY).

Ultimately, this can be understood by explaining what wars are even waged about. Wars are waged, ultimately, based on where power lies. Notice, for example, the main causes of war. Religion, as this comment points out, has caused a huge amount of war because it has a lot of power. 500 years ago when religion was unbelievably powerful, it also caused a ridiculous amount of war. Whatever is powerful causes war. The same is now true of oil/electricity and I believe will also be true of water in the future.

So no, I do not agree with the very strong claim of the statement, although I agree that religion is a large cause of war and without it the amount of war would decrease.

ReputationRep:
    As long as we exist there will always be conflict amongst ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    That's a very extreme statement to make. There would be a whole lot less war for sure, and we wouldn't have people going off to fight "for god". However, Nationalism requires no religion. It can start wars on it's own perfectly well without the help of religion. So I would have to disagree with your statement.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like religion in the past has been used as an excuse for war and I think the same is happening now. All of the crusades were supposedly about the Christians and the Muslims but actually it was about Britain wanting Jerusalem to be apart of their empire.

If you think of war like an argument then as humans we have arguments all the time about anything and everything sometimes about religion and sometimes not so in conclusion even if there was no religion there would still be war.

ReputationRep:
    Many wars have been caused by religion, but there would still be conflicts for other things anyway. Religion is a catalyst at times but it is not the only cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As much as I think that atheism is moral, there is also room for evil.

ReputationRep:

Pol Pot- Cambodian atheistic dictator
    Joseph Stalin -atheist who starved millions to death, total number murdered under Stalin’s reign, range from 10 million to 60 million
    Benito Mussolini- Hardcore atheist
    + many more.

War comes from the devil, he uses whatever means he can to kill. We can see it in the world now, the devil comes to kill, steal and destroy.

ReputationRep:
    It's the sort of stupid statement somebody comes up with after discovering the atheist community on YouTube and deciding they can become the next Richard Dawkins. It's painfully naive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nah, there are plenty of wars/conflicts that have nothing to do with religion.

Like the Falklands War or the current disputes over the South China Sea islands - they're based on power, territory and national pride.

ReputationRep:

I disagree with the statement. It's like saying "If there were no knives there would be no murder".

ReputationRep:
    Sure religion has started many wars throughout History and had there been no religion, those specific wars wouldn't have started. However humans have been known to fight over anything, especially religion. Had religion not existed, they just would have found other things to kill each other over whether it be land, money, politics etc...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It may reduce the number of wars, but by no means would it stop it. People will always have conflict over something, be it religion, territory, politics, or otherwise. It's a waste trying to blame it on a single source, in my view, because there simply isn't one.

ReputationRep:
    Religion or no religion, wars will always happen.

ReputationRep:
    People can be evil, regardless of their being religious or not.

ReputationRep:
    Most ridiculous statement I have ever read.

ReputationRep:
    If I recall correctly I don't think WW1 began with any religious motivation, and it was a rather big war.

ReputationRep:
    War is fought over natural resources... nothing more nothing less. rarely any other causes, sometimes fanatics like hitler but they were anti religion not pro religion.

ReputationRep:
    Religion has been the cause of some wars, but it has also avoided some.

Religion gives believers a moral code (is it really, though?), a punishment and a prize. And while believers tend to justify wrong doings with their concept of destiny, the fear of punishment or eternal damnation is enough to keep wars at bay...e.g "My neighbor stole my land but I must fulfill gods' will and show him the right way" instead of "I will kill my neighbor and steal HIS land".

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.