Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you visit your GP? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On average every month but I can usually see the nurse practitioner instead since they can prescribe meds, do most exams etc.

ReputationRep:
    I go fairly frequently because of chronic illness, have an appointment tomorrow lol, last went two/three weeks ago. :s

Visited after 2 yrs or something
    I’ll go if I need to but that’s very unlikely.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Only go when I absolutely have to, so last was early 2016, before that around 2012. I'd rather just dose up on over the counter pain meds and let it run it's course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzyrose23)
    This sounds like a really weird question but I’m genuinely interested. I was talking to a friend the other day who said she went every 3-4 weeks, despite not having a long term medical condition and visiting for things like a common cold and it almost made me mad? The last two times I’ve visited I’ve had to wait over a month for an appointment, and yes whilst the NHS is extremely underfunded it isn’t being helped by people like her who book unnecessary appointments all the time. I go maybe once or twice a year? I think that’s normal?
    It is a real waste of NHS resources for your friend to go that many times. It is understandable if she was being monitored due to a chronic/long term medical condition(s), but not just for routine things.

I've been going to my local health centre about once a year in recent years, due to getting recurring bouts of severe tonsillitis which I needed anti-emetic and antibiotic prescriptions for, and even then, I don't need to see a GP as long as the nurse I see has the power to prescribe. Otherwise, I only go for asthma and medication reviews (which are typically once a year anyway), which again, can be with a nurse practitioner rather than a GP.

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me so much when people go frequently for no good reason!! I avoid going to the doctors wherever possible - I’ve only been a handful of times in my life. (Well, not counting two years ago when I had pneumonia and had to go for weekly check ups for 4/5 weeks!) It makes me mad that people take advantage of the NHS as a free service and instantly book appointments at the first sign of the slightest issues.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not seen a GP for 8 years. In fact the last time I used the NHS at all was 5 years ago when I broke my leg.

I'm not even registered with one here, I'm never ill and i've always had private healthcare through my job.

ReputationRep:
    Not as often as I should, but at least I don't waste tax money.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Very infrequent. There’s times I don’t go for years, then I can have an injury all the sudden or a bad cold and I’d have to go.

ReputationRep:
    When I need to go lol. But almost every year for 1-2 times, bcs of hard cold. Because I cant go to school and have to get proof that Im not faking my illnes lol

ReputationRep:
    Haven’t been in at least 4 years, maybe more.

ReputationRep:
    whenever i need to which is like every 5 years
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Very infrequent. There’s times I don’t go for years, then I can have an injury all the sudden or a bad cold and I’d have to go.
    There;s no point going because you have a cold. It's not like they can do anything about it.

Probs average out to like 1-2 times per year
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    There;s no point going because you have a cold. It's not like they can do anything about it.
    Just some free paracetamol lol
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Just some free paracetamol lol
    Which you can buy for 30p in any supermarket.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Which you can buy for 30p in any supermarket.
    That was sarcasm... There's times when you're really unwell but all the GP gives you is some paracetamol

ReputationRep:
    That was sarcasm... There's times when you're really unwell but all the GP gives you is some paracetamol
    Probably because your definition of “really unwell” is wildly different from the GP’s.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, maybe this is karma - a week after replying to this thread, I’ve had to go to the GP for the first time in 2 years due to complications with the flu I have - turns out my pneumonia might be recurring... lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I went once at the end of last year to get a vaccine. Before that... probably 3 years ago to get a vaccine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.