Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So I’m in my second year of GCSE Drama right now, we started in Year 9 which was a total write off and Year 10 so far has been exactly the same apart from the theory side of things. We’re supposed to start our devised pieces with the logbooks in the summer term.

The problem I’m having is I signed up to Drama to do set design or lighting. My school doesn’t have a good enough lighting rig so I let that one go, but I still really want to do set design. It’s even what I want to move onto in college (I’m hoping for Technical Theatre Arts at an actual performing arts college) but I’m being told I can’t do it because my teacher has never taught it. I hate acting, especially with the people in my group. Another excuse I was told is ‘we don’t know where the final performances will be’ which is rubbish because they’ll be in one of two available spaces that are virtually the same size.

Are they allowed to fully refuse me doing set design? I find acting really restrictive but I’m so passionate about the technical side of things. I think it would be worth going to my headteacher about, I do get along with him really well so I’m sure he’d try his hardest to make it happen, but I need to know if they’re allowed to entirely refuse it first. If they are, that’s awful considering when I was given my options set design was very clearly outlined as one of the things I could focus on for my final pieces.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.