Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I signed up to this forum to ask this question in particular: how mathematical is computer science? I am very mathematically oriented, and am interested in taking computer science at University, but have had no exposure to any students taking this course nor anyone working at a university that I can ask about it.

Therefore, I have no way of telling how formal the subject is, I have no idea whether it is consistently seen as a science or whether it is more of an IT course in some universities. (I achieved a C in ICT at GCSE and have no desire to go back to designing websites in serif webplus or making macros in excel)

I am currently in year 13 and took computer science in the first half term of sixth form. I was not very impressed with the teaching, and after consideration and taking a look at university prospectuses decided I should drop it in favour of keeping further mathematics. I am now taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics through to A2. I am predicted AAA at AS, and am confident I can perform at least this well at A2. Although I am not taking computer science at school, I am doing research at home, utilising the revision book I bought before quitting the course. I also spend some of my time researching other aspects of the sciences to advance my mathematical and physical understanding outside of school.

Are there any universities I should consider in particular for computer science / computer science with/and mathematics? Are there any which should be avoided (other than those not offering computer science)? I am also considering a degree apprenticeship as an alternative to university, but I will leave that for another thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1anon1anon1)
    Hello, I signed up to this forum to ask this question in particular: how mathematical is computer science? I am very mathematically oriented, and am interested in taking computer science at University, but have had no exposure to any students taking this course nor anyone working at a university that I can ask about it.

Therefore, I have no way of telling how formal the subject is, I have no idea whether it is consistently seen as a science or whether it is more of an IT course in some universities. (I achieved a C in ICT at GCSE and have no desire to go back to designing websites in serif webplus or making macros in excel)

I am currently in year 13 and took computer science in the first half term of sixth form. I was not very impressed with the teaching, and after consideration and taking a look at university prospectuses decided I should drop it in favour of keeping further mathematics. I am now taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics through to A2. I am predicted AAA at AS, and am confident I can perform at least this well at A2. Although I am not taking computer science at school, I am doing research at home, utilising the revision book I bought before quitting the course. I also spend some of my time researching other aspects of the sciences to advance my mathematical and physical understanding outside of school.

Are there any universities I should consider in particular for computer science / computer science with/and mathematics? Are there any which should be avoided (other than those not offering computer science)? I am also considering a degree apprenticeship as an alternative to university, but I will leave that for another thread.
    Having not actually started uni yet I cannot say for definite what the courses are like, but many of the places I have applied to have a very significant maths component. With all of them requiring at least an A in maths. However the maths component of the courses is often things like linear algebra, proofs and sets.

A lot of unis offer Computer science with Maths, or in the case of Warwick it is called Discrete Maths. These courses have less of the software engineering aspects, and often allow you to take maths modules that aren't available to people studing straight Computer Science, although this will vary between different courses.

I would suggest looking at the course details and syllabuses for Computer Science and Computer Science with Maths at the sort of unis you think you could get the grades for.

Having taken the subjects you are taking you have got the subjects top unis are most often looking for to study Comp Sci, so you will probably have a wide rnge of courses to choose from.

If you are very keen on the maths aspect I would suggest starting looking at Warwick's Discrete Maths course. But keep in mind most Computer Science with Maths courses will give you a more limiting choice in modules than taking just Computer Science or just Maths, as you have required modules for Computer Science and required modules for Maths (however this may not be a problem for you)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and if you are thinking of taking Comp Sci at uni keep on showing your enthusiasm for the subject outside of lessons, as this will give you a big advantage when applying for uni!

ReputationRep:

Hello,

As has been mentioned, it depends on the university. in Computer Science, you can understand algorithms mathematically or in code, for example. So you can actually become a pretty good at coding without having a lot of understanding about the maths behind it.

Universities I know that have a strong math element to their CS degrees are Oxbridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and there are a few more.

You can also do a CS+Math degree combination in many universities.

ReputationRep:

As others have said, some universities are more theory and mathematical based than others.

Have you done any programming before?

Good maths heavy subjects in computer science are machine learning, artificial intelligence, big data and scientific computing among many others.

Unfortunately computer science and IT in schools isn't often taught too well or reflective of what you learn at university simply because most teachers had to learn it by themselves and that leaves majority to just learn exactly what's in exams and that's pretty much it.

At university level you wouldn't normally be learning how to use Microsoft office. The only thing that would come close to that would be learning databases but that would be learning SQL.

For website development you would learn html, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and so on. Creating websites from scratch using the usual tools.

I'm a 2nd year in computer science myself. I'm totally open to talking about it and things I've learned in more detail of you'd like, just send a pm

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.