Need Help! (GCSE BIOLOGY)

Watch this thread
Kiko M
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Trying to re write notes and confused..

Does a rich blood supply in alveoli mean it maintains a steep concentration gradient??

That's what I've written in notes from class but I can't see it anywhere on revision guides so wondering if I heard wrong or something, please help!
username2888406
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Yes that's correct. Having a rich blood supply delivers blood that is low in oxygen and high in carbon dioxide to the lungs. The air entering the lungs is high in oxygen and low in carbon dioxide (opposite to what is in the blood vessels), this creates a steep concentration gradient between the blood and the air inside the alveoli causing rapid diffusion of carbon dioxide to leave the blood and oxygen to enter the blood. A strong blood flow (it comes directly from the heart so under high pressure) means the steep concentration gradient is maintained because once the blood absorbs oxygen it's moved away quickly.
MimiSeneca
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
if you're doing notes on blood and the lungs (the double circulatory system etc) I found these really useful because have diagrams included and good level of detail (not too much that it's overwhelming but all the main facts) https://senecalearning.com/resources...latory-system/ there are also good notes on other biology topics on this site !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads