Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    How did i not answer your question?

My response was clear, a mother with a child is different to a person in need of a kidney. If Person A requires a kidney there are many “perfect matches”, so the person is not dependent on just one person. However, an unborn child is wholly dependent on its mother through its development until birth and beyond. A kidney case is not a 1:1 situation like a child completely dependent on its mother.
    Why do you think people die while waiting for a kidney? Because they haven’t found a donor due to the shortage of kidneys / they haven’t found a perfect match.

So if there is a suitable kidney available from person A who is able to save a life as a matter of urgency, why shouldn’t person A be forced to give it to them? And imprisoned for life if they refuse? According to you, you shouldn’t have the right to do what you want with your body if someone’s life is at risk so why would you even consider waiting for another donor which would therefore risk the life of person B when you have a perfect one available at present ?

Have i answered your question now? You seem to be expecting another answer.
    You haven’t. You keep saying that they’re different but you haven’t directly answered the question. It requires a ‘yes’ or ‘no’.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Why do you think people die while waiting for a kidney? Because they haven’t found a donor due to the shortage of kidneys / they haven’t found a perfect match.

So if there is a suitable kidney available from person A who is able to save a life as a matter of urgency, why shouldn’t person A be forced to give it to them? And imprisoned for life if they refuse? According to you, you shouldn’t have the right to do what you want with your body if someone’s life is at risk so why would you even consider waiting for another donor which would therefore risk the life of person B when you have a perfect one available at present ?

You haven’t. You keep saying that they’re different but you haven’t directly answered the question. It requires a ‘yes’ or ‘no’.
    Ok, here goes. No, they are different.

The person in need of a kidney does not have the same direct dependence on the donor unless the donor is willing and able to assist in that situation. A pregnant woman case is different because her unborn child is dependent on her until birth and few years afterwards.

If pregnancy was such that there was an external cocoon where babies lived and developed independent of the woman, there would not be such a debate about abortion. This is because there will be more control from the state, hospital and local community. For a pregnant woman, she has the final say betwee life and death of a helpless and defenceless child, which is central to the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Just to make everyone a little happier: the number of so called feminists in the UK is 7% and decreasing.
    The infrastructure is already in place : laws on equal pay and the pay gap is a myth. Third wave feminism is a joke and surrounded by identity politics and hypocrisy. Second wave feminism already achieved the goal.
    I am a classical type of girl (is that even a thing) and believe relationships is two ways. People must be there for each other and must hold each other in the highest regards and take it very seriously.
    As for the work place... THE LAWS ARE IN PLACE. There are scumbag people (men AND women) and there always will be. So stop being sensitive and continue with life and if you believe that you are being paid less then take it to court instead of publishing it all over social media for some idiots to start a witch hunt. Men have become so badly represented by the media and it is amazing that no one is addressing this, especially SJW who strive for 'equality'.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here goes. No, they are different.

The person in need of a kidney does not have the same direct dependence on the donor unless the donor is willing and able to assist in that situation. A pregnant woman case is different because her unborn child is dependent on her until birth and few years afterwards.
    But if you’ve elected to be put on the organ donor list, that means that you are willing and able to assist in such a situation, so how are they not dependent on them? If person A had decided to donate their kidney, wouldn’t person B thank them with something along the lines of ‘you saved my life’ ? Sounds pretty dependent to me.

A pregnant woman’s baby is only dependent on her until birth, not a few years afterwards.

If pregnancy was such that there was an external cocoon where babies lived and developed independent of the woman, there would not be such a debate about abortion. This is because there will be more control from the state, hospital and local community. For a pregnant woman, she has the final say betwee life and death of a helpless and defenceless child, which is central to the issue.
    For a perfect donor who refuses to donate their kidney, they too essentially have the final say between life and death of a helpless individual. Why is that not an issue for you?

Do you still believe that we shouldn’t be able to do what we want with our own bodies if someone’s life is at risk?

ReputationRep:
    if you look at this right
    https://i.redd.it/ftft63cs2n3z.jpg
    lets be 100 women dont deserve to complain
    shut the **** up and sit down feminists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    How have we got from women supposedly only wanting equality / rights when it suits to abortion?
    We got to this because loveleest had no argument for why she wants men to chase her and ask her out (i.e. given preferential treatment), but still expect to be treated equal in other areas. She kept repeatedly dodging the point, instead arguing about something else.

We have to face it - what women expect in dating does not fit with the notion of gender equality. Women must share equally the responsibilities in dating, not expect men to do everything. This is what true equality means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    if you look at this right
    https://i.redd.it/ftft63cs2n3z.jpg
    lets be 100 women dont deserve to complain
    shut the **** up and sit down feminists
    Exactly. Men have problems a hundred times worse, but we just get on with it. We have no one to talk about our problems with. Any time we do, we simply get told to man up and deal with it.

Men (by and large) still do all the physically demanding jobs and had to go to war to defend our country.

Women in 1st world western society are just as equal as men. They are privileged (in many cases over-privileged) and not "oppressed" as many would have you think. In 3rd world or middle east, sure women are still treated as second class citizens. But in the UK? Absolute rubbish! You have all the same rights as men, plus more.

Ann Widdecombe speaks sense on the issue of feminism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rccJRR9qrgY

Right at the beginning, she says "we do rather better than the men". She brands these women's marches for equality absolutely pathetic, because she can see women are equal to men (and in many cases, have significant advantages over men eg. court cases, marriage, children).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    But if you’ve elected to be put on the organ donor list, that means that you are willing and able to assist in such a situation, so how are they not dependent on them? If person A had decided to donate their kidney, wouldn’t person B thank them with something along the lines of ‘you saved my life’ ? Sounds pretty dependent to me.

A pregnant woman’s baby is only dependent on her until birth, not a few years afterwards.

For a perfect donor who refuses to donate their kidney, they too essentially have the final say between life and death of a helpless individual. Why is that not an issue for you?

Do you still believe that we shouldn’t be able to do what we want with our own bodies if someone’s life is at risk?
    I believe that pregnant mothers do not have a right to end the lives of their unborn children.

Being on the donor list is a massive deal and if someone gets on the list, then they have to go through with the donation imo.

The argument you are making, i think, is for someone who wants to donate a kidney and then refuses to do so. That is the same argument with a surrogate mother, who wants to donate her womb for pregnancy and then refuses to before conception. This is very different to a woman, who is already pregnant and then decides against it and kills the child.

If you look at it from a purely contract view, she broke the contract and deserves to pay with time in prison or her life. You cannot enter a contractual situation through having sex and then cancel the contract. In commercial law, i think you will probably be liable.

To your point, the potential donor is not responsible for the patient’s life until he accepts to do it. Once he does, then he is responsible. A woman is not responsible for any child until she gets pregnant, then she is responsible for the well-being of the unborn child.

Even after birth, she is still responsible as a parent for a child. The only case is where she decides to remove her legal responsibility by offering the child for adoption or to the state through the care system. It is only when the child is a legal adult that a parent’s responsibility ends.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that pregnant mothers do not have a right to end the lives of their unborn children.

Being on the donor list is a massive deal and if someone gets on the list, then they have to go through with the donation imo.

The argument you are making, i think, is for someone who wants to donate a kidney and then refuses to do so. That is the same argument with a surrogate mother, who wants to donate her womb for pregnancy and then refuses to before conception. This is very different to a woman, who is already pregnant and then decides against it and kills the child.

If you look at it from a purely contract view, she broke the contract and deserves to pay with time in prison or her life. You cannot enter a contractual situation through having sex and then cancel the contract. In commercial law, i think you will probably be liable.

To your point, the potential donor is not responsible for the patient’s life until he accepts to do it. Once he does, then he is responsible. A woman is not responsible for any child until she gets pregnant, then she is responsible for the well-being of the unborn child.

Even after birth, she is still responsible as a parent for a child. The only case is where she decides to remove her legal responsibility by offering the child for adoption or to the state through the care system. It is only when the child is a legal adult that a parent’s responsibility ends.
    It’s a foetus not a “child”.
    An unborn being does not have a life. Life comes after birth.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Waldorf67)
    It’s a foetus not a “child”.
    An unborn being does not have a life. Life comes after birth.
    What? Life comes after birth? Are you serious? So when your mother was pregnant with you, you were a stone and magically had life when you were born. Yet another justification for murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    We got to this because loveleest had no argument for why she wants men to chase her and ask her out (i.e. given preferential treatment), but still expect to be treated equal in other areas. She kept repeatedly dodging the point, instead arguing about something else.

We have to face it - what women expect in dating does not fit with the notion of gender equality. Women must share equally the responsibilities in dating, not expect men to do everything. This is what true equality means.
    Sigh, I am not going to stick up/feel bad for men that feel scared to approach/to talk to women. it's odd.

ReputationRep:

Having sex isn’t signing a contract to be pregnant. I doubt many people who are trying to have a baby will get an abortion unless it’s medically necessary.

People can get pregnant even if they use contraception, they can get pregnant through rape, they can get pregnant through being a reckless teenager and not using protection. None of these people signed a contract to be a parent by having sex, and are often making the best decision for themself and their potential child, that they are not ready, equipped or willing to have.

People have sex mostly for enjoyment, most of the time it isn’t an act that people engage in to get pregnant. So terminating an unexpected or unwanted pregnancy breaks no such contract.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Having sex isn’t signing a contract to be pregnant. I doubt many people who are trying to have a baby will get an abortion unless it’s medically necessary.

People can get pregnant even if they use contraception, they can get pregnant through rape, they can get pregnant through being a reckless teenager and not using protection. None of these people signed a contract to be a parent by having sex, and are often making the best decision for themself and their potential child, that they are not ready, equipped or willing to have.

People have sex mostly for enjoyment, most of the time it isn’t an act that people engage in to get pregnant. So terminating an unexpected or unwanted pregnancy breaks no such contract.
    When you engage in sexual intercourse, there is a social contract that is signed. You would be aware that you can get pregnant, contracting sexually transmitted diseases etc. The issue is that many people do not see it as that anymore. They like to use the phrase “sex is just sex” to try to normalise and downplay the significance of it.

There is a saying that “if you do not want to raise a child, do not have sex”.

This is the reason why if a man has sex with a woman and the woman has the child, the state still demands he supports the child through child and parental support.

ReputationRep:
    Well to me some of those things in the relationships paragraph have to do with being a chivalrous gentleman, like paying for meals and holding open the door, but other things I completely agree on, like approaching someone you're attracted to and sharing household chores. I think gender equality comes with a lot of downsides, but women only seem to be interested in the parts of equality that benefit themselves, like equal pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Sigh, I am not going to stick up/feel bad for men that feel scared to approach/to talk to women. it's odd.
    Equality means equality in everything. Which means both genders should be sharing equal responsibility in absolutely everything.

Equality doesn't mean absolving all women of difficult responsibilities and forcing men to do it instead.

ReputationRep:
    Equality means equality in everything. Which means both genders should be sharing equal responsibility in absolutely everything.

Equality doesn't mean absolving all women of difficult responsibilities and forcing men to do it instead.
    Erm well when women get paid equally, women hold the top institutions, men stop slut shaming us, men stop abusing us then I will start approaching- because we will be equal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Erm well when women get paid equally, women hold the top institutions, men stop slut shaming us, men stop abusing us then I will start approaching- because we will be equal
    - It's illegal to have 2 different rates of pay for the same job
    - There is equal opportunity for women to get to top positions. Just because there are fewer women in top positions doesn't mean they are discriminated against. Most likely reason is because women choose not to pursue them and/or decide to take time out to have kids.
    - It's easy for women to sleep with lots of men. People in general (men and women) don't have respect for things which require little to no effort.
    - Abuse happens to men as well as women. Abuse is carried out by nasty people in general, not just men. There are plenty of nice, kind men out there. It's your choice whether you hang around them or hang around the ****heads.

This is before we even consider all the difficulties men experience in society. Men experience a mixture of overlapping + different problem to women, that are just as serious.

But of course, for feminists, it's only women's problems that are the issue, not men's. Screw men, they just need to man up and deal with it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When you engage in sexual intercourse, there is a social contract that is signed. You would be aware that you can get pregnant, contracting sexually transmitted diseases etc. The issue is that many people do not see it as that anymore. They like to use the phrase “sex is just sex” to try to normalise and downplay the significance of it.

There is a saying that “if you do not want to raise a child, do not have sex”.

This is the reason why if a man has sex with a woman and the woman has the child, the state still demands he supports the child through child and parental support.
    That’s your opinion, in reality there is no ‘social contract’. Especially if the two consenting adults use contraception.

The idea that sex is only for creating a child is outdated and luckily no longer stands in modern culture. Yay orgasms!

You manage to avoid the rape point every time it is brought up, that’s certainly not agreeing to have a child. Using contraception is not agreeing to having a child. Engaging in sex, whether you like it or not, is NOT agreeing to have a child.

If you personally only have sex to conceive, that’s fine. If you tell people they’re murders and should go to prison for terminating an unexpected and unwanted pregnancy, that’s nowhere near fine. You’re entitled to your opinion but don’t expect kind words or ‘agree to disagree’ when you judge people to your personal moral standards.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I believe that pregnant mothers do not have a right to end the lives of their unborn children...
    But they do have that right according to UK law and, no doubt, according to the majority of citizens. The point at which a foetus becomes a 'child' is debatable, but for many it is not until there is the possibility of physiologically independent life that the latter term becomes meaningful.

ReputationRep:
    - It's illegal to have 2 different rates of pay for the same job
    - There is equal opportunity for women to get to top positions. Just because there are fewer women in top positions doesn't mean they are discriminated against. Most likely reason is because women choose not to pursue them and/or decide to take time out to have kids.
    - It's easy for women to sleep with lots of men. People in general (men and women) don't have respect for things which require little to no effort.
    - Abuse happens to men as well as women. Abuse is carried out by nasty people in general, not just men. There are plenty of nice, kind men out there. It's your choice whether you hang around them or hang around the ****heads.

This is before we even consider all the difficulties men experience in society. Men experience a mixture of overlapping + different problem to women, that are just as serious.

But of course, for feminists, it's only women's problems that are the issue, not men's. Screw men, they just need to man up and deal with it. :rolleyes:
    - No, men are just more likely to hold positions in top institutions. Why are men more likely to become headteachers than women?
    - Well, that's not us women fault wtf? THAT DOES NOT JUSTIFY SLUT SHAMING. Maybe if men decided to have higher standards when it comes to casual sex then it would be harder for women. Even then women have to still have a hard time. (dress nice, hair makeup etc)
    - Every week two women in the UK are killed by an abusive partner. We are more likely to be sexually abused.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.