Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeyA2000)
    Completely agree with everything you’ve said there. And when a man breaks up with a women, men are ********s etc etc. But when women break up with men it’s ‘you go girl atttiude’ you don’t need him he’s a looser etc etc. Women are very strange creatures.
    Mate we’re not ‘strange creatures’, we are humans. It’s not that hard to understand. When women break up with partners that are being a-holes to them, of course we are going to cheer our friend on. Don’t forget that in relationships, Men are the perpetrators of violence 76% of the time. So when women dodge bullets, are you suggesting we shame them for it? (Like we do when they have big sex lifes or heaps of previous boyfriends 🐸☕️)

ReputationRep:
    Okay okay, I know this is a super long reply of mine but pls read it all.

Let’s get started with the first point: “the gender pay gap is a myth.” ITS SRSLY NOT. In fact, it could not be more present now than it ever was. Half the reason why actresses wore black to the recent BAFTAS wasn’t JUST because of sexual assault, but many of them said it was to campaign against unfair pay. When Jennifer Lawrence was in Silver Linings, she told in an interview that she received significantly less than Bradley Cooper, even though they were the two main stars. Jessica Chastain had a similar story in an interview about crimson peak (search it up on YouTube). And this pay gap is even bigger when you take into account black, Latino or Asian women. Simply do some research on the ‘net, and you’ll find everything you’re looking for. Google is free btw.

Now on to dating. I personally believe that whoever INITIATES the date SHOULD PAY FOR IT. and in many cases this is the man, and I know you said that men are under some ‘pressure’ from society to be the initiators. But don’t forget that if women try to go up to a guy and ask him out, she’s labelled as ‘needy’ and ‘desperate’. Besides, none of us women are ACTUALLY pressuring you guys to ask us out, in fact usually it’s your male friends, who say things like “Go get her, buddy!”. I think both girls and boys should mutually talk about their feelings before ‘going out’.
    Opening doors for women, giving up ur coats, etc, are all the stereotypical ways to be a ‘gentlemen’. They weren’t started by us women, they began a long time ago with the idea that women were fragile and weak, and that men had to be the ones to ‘provide for them’. I personally hold open doors for everyone, because it’s a POLITE thing to do.

Thirdly, men are NOT the ones who are pressured to please us the most in bed! There are soooo many other factors involved with this. Firstly, women find it MUCH MUCH harder to reach orgasm and tbh we usually don’t w/men (this is why lesbians have the best sex). Not only does this make it much more frustrating for us, but it also forces lots of women to fake it for the man and just pretend to have orgasmed. If putting your own desire to orgasm aside for the sake of boosting a man’s ego isn’t the ultimate expression of commitment, I don’t know what is!

But I do agree with how men are pressured to be tough and manly all the time. This is also the reason why guys have higher suicide rates I’m sure, and it’s rlly sad. It all comes under the idea of ‘toxic masculinity’, which enforces the idea that men are strong, and women are meek- which means that both sexes are affected by it. I agree with you that it sucks, and the new feminist movement is trying to battle gender stereotypes, and let both genders do whatever they want. Toxic masculinity needs to die, I’ll agree w/you there.

Finally (thnx for reading up to this point), I believe men and women should be able to do whatever the hell they want in terms of careers and statuses in life. I don’t believe a woman’s place is ONLY ‘in the kitchen’, I believe it’s wherever the hell she wants to be. I also believe that men should be free to become stay at home dads, and shouldn’t be pressured to become the breadwinners. I personally think that household chores SHOULD be shared because.......you’re living in the same house....simple as that. It isn’t/shouldn’t be JUST the woman’s ‘responsibility’, because basic household chores are skills everyone should know.

As a feminist, I believe that men and women should have equal opportunities and punishments, such as women not getting lighter prison sentences, or men being discouraged to raise children. But I also believe that it isn’t just as black and white as that, and sometimes you have to look further in to see the reasons why our society is like that. Thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca G)
    Mate we’re not ‘strange creatures’, we are humans. It’s not that hard to understand. When women break up with partners that are being a-holes to them, of course we are going to cheer our friend on. Don’t forget that in relationships, Men are the perpetrators of violence 76% of the time. So when women dodge bullets, are you suggesting we shame them for it? (Like we do when they have big sex lifes or heaps of previous boyfriends 🐸☕️)
    It's impossible to say men are the perpetrators of violence 76% of the time. Don't forget that there is a stigma attached to men being in the end of female violence so men are far less likely to have reported it than women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    She can also pay, can't she? Why does the man have to pay?

By your logic, if she's not paying then she doesn't care about the relationship.

It was fine 50-100 years ago, because even though the man paid, the woman made up for it in other ways. Gender roles were clearly defined. These days, women are so lazy (especially young women) that they still expect the man to do all the manly duties like ask her out and pay for a date, but at the same time shirk any of the typical female responsibilities.

I hear in cultures like Latino and Asian, gender roles are still widely prevalent. The man is expected to be a man, and the woman is expected to be a woman. There is no confusion. The issue has come in Western society, where women are acting more and more like men, not wanting the negative responsibilities associated with being a woman, but still complaining that there "aren't any real men" anymore. It's pathetic.
    You literally just proved feminist’s points that in order to have a decent life in this western world, you have to act like a Male.
    Women don’t want to be men, we’re happy in our own skins. We just wish that we would be payed the same amount as our male colleagues are when we do the EXACT same job and amount of work.
    We wish we wouldn’t be shamed for enjoying good sex lifes.
    We wish that we wouldn’t have to be expected to ‘be ready for sex’ so that you boss can give you a promotion or give you a role in a movie or whatever.We wish that we wouldn’t be judged constantly by what we wear or how we look. We wish we wouldn’t be called ‘hysterical feminazis’ simply for wanting the same opportunities as you. We wish that we wouldn’t have to work extra hard at a job just to get to the same place as you are.

But no, you’re crying over the fact that men USUALLY TAKE IT UPON THEMSELVES to pay for the first date.
    Wtf do you know about what it’s like to be a woman? YOU are the only one that sounds pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicBrum)
    It's impossible to say men are the perpetrators of violence 76% of the time. Don't forget that there is a stigma attached to men being in the end of female violence so men are far less likely to have reported it than women.
    Actually it’s not impossible to say that, because they are real statistics. I’m not applauding any type of violence, I think that both men and women have a responsibility to try and stop it. That’s all I’m saying.

But the cold hard facts are that nearly half of all murdered women in the past year were killed by a spouse or partner, whereas only 5-7% of men were killed by their spouses.

Here’s the link: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-women/534306/

ReputationRep:
    Actually it’s not impossible to say that, because they are real statistics. I’m not applauding any type of violence, I think that both men and women have a responsibility to try and stop it. That’s all I’m saying.

But the cold hard facts are that nearly half of all murdered women in the past year were killed by a spouse or partner, whereas only 5-7% of men were killed by their spouses.

Here’s the link: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-women/534306/
    That statistic is different to what you originally stated. It is literally impossible to accurately say that men are responsible for 76% of domestic violence. All the stats can tell us is what has been reported.

I could be violent to my partner right now, but you wouldn't know and it won't be part of your 76% because you don't know about it.

All those murder statistics tell us is the final outcome of one isolated incident of domestic violence. It doesn't tell us if either of the couple were continually violent in the weeks, months or years leading up to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATC_Mick)
    If you want to get a clear view on the mind of feminists/women in general, avoid dating apps: Tinder, okcupid, even Bumble are full of accounts that are just pictures and no detailsin the about me section (or just instagram/snapchat details). These women aren't interested in dating, but want the "rush" of having people interested in them. Ideally these apps would remove inactive profiles from the search matrix and notify you if someone "swiped left" with a reason why, say a women wasn't interested because you're under 6 foot (shallow, but that's the dating world) at least you'd know where to improve yourself (or in this case, move on to someone that isn't shallow)

[Generalisation warning] Most women are interested in preferential equality not true equality. Case in point: Car insurance in the UK, a few years ago it was deemed illegal for insurance companies to charge men more than women, so the insurance companies chose to raise the price for women to meet the price that men were charged. This was met with outcry from women, but this was the natural outcome from a companies perspective.
    Lol it’s so funny to see you act as if you actually know women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicBrum)
    That statistic is different to what you originally stated. It is literally impossible to accurately say that men are responsible for 76% of domestic violence. All the stats can tell us is what has been reported.

I could be violent to my partner right now, but you wouldn't know and it won't be part of your 76% because you don't know about it.

All those murder statistics tell us is the final outcome of one isolated incident of domestic violence. It doesn't tell us if either of the couple were continually violent in the weeks, months or years leading up to it.
    Either way, what is the point you’re trying to make?

I understand perfectly that we don’t have the full story, meaning there are probably lots more men and women who have been hurt by domestic violence.
    But that doesn’t mean that the statistics become irrelevant. All I’m saying is that we should address violence towards both sexes, but also keep in mind that in most cases women are the victims.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, what is the point you’re trying to make?

I understand perfectly that we don’t have the full story, meaning there are probably lots more men and women who have been hurt by domestic violence.
    But that doesn’t mean that the statistics become irrelevant. All I’m saying is that we should address violence towards both sexes, but also keep in mind that in most cases women are the victims.
    I'm just saying you probably shouldn't state statistics as though they are facts when they are not facts.

It's similar to sexual harassment. If you go by what is reported it would be easy to think that it's only women that suffer sexual harassment, but the reality is men are also sexually harassed, it just goes unreported.

Official statistics only tell one side of a very different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    Feminism is stupid
    You’re stupid

ReputationRep:
    This is what I don't understand about the modern day gender equality/feminism movement. They want equality in some areas, but other areas they are happy for things to stay the same as long as they receive the benefit.

Women want equal treatment in the workplace with their male colleagues. They want equal pay (FWIW the gender pay gap is a myth - same job for same hours get paid the same, otherwise it's illegal), they don't want to experience sexual harassment in the workplace (what about all the false accusations which ruin men's careers?), they want the same opportunities men have, they want equal opportunities for promotion (despite many of them taking time off for maternity leave).

This is all fair enough. Except they don't want equality in dating. Men are still expected to:

- ask the woman out and face possible rejection (women might give subtle hints, but under no circumstances will they ask the man out - that is "his job"
    - pay for the first date (and possible subsequent dates as well)
    - propose to the woman
    - treat her with meals/gifts
    - hold open the door for her
    - give up his coat if she's cold, so he can freeze (but never the other way around)
    - put the majority of effort into sex (this is centered around pleasing the woman - the man's enjoyment is always assumed)
    - be manly and dominant, never show any weak emotions, keep his problems bottled up because otherwise it's "unmanly"
    - household chores must now be shared. Women no longer have to do all the cooking and cleaning, it's shared equally between men, because otherwise it's gender discrimination/oppression. Despite the fact men are still seen as the primary breadwinner in the household and a man without a job is a virtual disaster.

So back to the original question: Why do women want gender equality in the workplace (and indeed many other areas), but not in dating? I'm interested to hear to views of men, women and any feminists.
    Some men expect women to go out to work but also to wait on them.

ReputationRep:
    You’re stupid
    Feminism isn't about equality it's about male bashing. Feminists say that they want to be treated the same as men but they aren't willing to do things that are expected of men. You can't just pick and choose the areas you want to be treated as equals in. I'm not talking about the gender pay gap here because obviously people should be paid the same regardless of gender but if for example a woman hit a man shouldn't it then be ok for the man to defend himself and hit her back? Why is it ok for women to hit men but not vice versa? If feminists want equality surely they would have no problems with men defending themselves against women right? I'm not saying I would hit a woman but it's just an example. I've got no problem with women fighting for equal pay and what not but some of the things these idiotic feminists campaign for are just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3750700)
    You seemed to have missed the point. This isnt a matter of "Rights" you silly entitled man.

We have a choice in who we date. And if an attractive woman holds the cards, she'd optimise that by getting the ideal person for her. You even got some stuff completely wrong. If you've ever gotten with a woman, you'd know that they are just as keen on pleasuring you. Same with emotional stuff, many women love open men.

You cannot tell anyone what they want and dont want. Preferences isnt something bitter men like you can dictate.

As others have said, all you want is a submissive woman you can control.

YOU are the one who's missed my point.
    Christ, you’ve totally missed OP’s point. Shut the **** up about and stop going on about virgins you insecure cubt. The point is about gender equality, and how on some cases women don’t adhere to it, such as when it comes to paying the bill on a first date, amongst other things. This is nothing to do with being a virgin or being a frustrated ugly man. You reek of insecurity to keep on bringing this up. Read the first post again and stick on topic in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    Feminism isn't about equality it's about male bashing. Feminists say that they want to be treated the same as men but they aren't willing to do things that are expected of men. You can't just pick and choose the areas you want to be treated as equals in. I'm not talking about the gender pay gap here because obviously people should be paid the same regardless of gender but if for example a woman hit a man shouldn't it then be ok for the man to defend himself and hit her back? Why is it ok for women to hit men but not vice versa? If feminists want equality surely they would have no problems with men defending themselves against women right? I'm not saying I would hit a woman but it's just an example. I've got no problem with women fighting for equal pay and what not but some of the things these idiotic feminists campaign for are just stupid.
    Funny how whenever we are talking about equality, the issue of beating women ALWAYS comes up. Always.
    Ppl are already beating women mate, the point is that we want them to stop. ‘Being able to hit a woman’ in comparison with ‘women wanting equal reproductive rights, equal opportunities and no bias’ are not the same thing, because beating women isn’t a right. Can’t we just stop all violence towards each other? I’m all for self defense, really. But it’s hard to believe that women are the most violent out of the two genders, when all mass shooters, violent criminals and serial offenders are men.
    I understand that there are feminists who believe all men should die, bla bla bla but if so, they aren’t real feminists. Literally all real feminists want is political, social and economic equality. And what some might see as ‘picking and choosing’ is actually us addressing that some groups of people (women, LGBT, black, hispanic, etc.) need a little more help getting there than other groups (white straight men). I’m not saying that men don’t have problems, they have plenty like higher suicide rates, toxic masculinity, etc. But even then, it seems as if feminism is the only movement actually trying to help guys and shed light on their problems too.

So excuse me if I call someone stupid when they say that feminism is stupid, because it has helped so many women of all sexualities and nationalities and even men too, to gain equal rights, opportunities and safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidJES)
    Christ, you’ve totally missed OP’s point. Shut the **** up about and stop going on about virgins you insecure cubt. The point is about gender equality, and how on some cases women don’t adhere to it, such as when it comes to paying the bill on a first date, amongst other things. This is nothing to do with being a virgin or being a frustrated ugly man. You reek of insecurity to keep on bringing this up. Read the first post again and stick on topic in future.
    The guy who first started this thread went on an entire rant about how *****y and privileged women are, so allow me to do the same right back.
    No, actually she rlly hasn’t missed the point. You’re acting as if needing women to pay on the first date is just as important as real problems women are facing, like gender bias in all work fields, being expected to constantly be polite and happy towards men, and the increasing amount of violence towards women. Oh, you’re worried that a woman won’t pay the bill on the first date? Usually women are worried that a guy will kill/rape them on the first date. That’s the comparison mate.
    I’m not even joking, you have no f***ing clue what it’s like. So how about you shut the hell up, learn how to spell, and actually try to empathise for once.
    Because the whiny little guy who started this whole debate is rlly not doing anything for your cause. It just shows that women cannot try to have equality without some privileged little army of Menininsts coming to the rescue. Quit acting like you know women’s experiences and leave us alone.

ReputationRep:
    The guy who first started this thread went on an entire rant about how *****y and privileged women are, so allow me to do the same right back.
    No, actually she rlly hasn’t missed the point. You’re acting as if needing women to pay on the first date is just as important as real problems women are facing, like gender bias in all work fields, being expected to constantly be polite and happy towards men, and the increasing amount of violence towards women. Oh, you’re worried that a woman won’t pay the bill on the first date? Usually women are worried that a guy will kill/rape them on the first date. That’s the comparison mate.
    I’m not even joking, you have no f***ing clue what it’s like. So how about you shut the hell up, learn how to spell, and actually try to empathise for once.
    Because the whiny little guy who started this whole debate is rlly not doing anything for your cause. It just shows that women cannot try to have equality without some privileged little army of Menininsts coming to the rescue. Quit acting like you know women’s experiences and leave us alone.
    My point is pretty simple. Stick to the topic of the original post and stop trying to make this about you and your issues. You are clearly another sexually frustrated woman, but I’m not going to get into that and stoop to your level. Focus on the topic or pipe down.

ReputationRep:
    ...So back to the original question...
    You could avoid your frustrations by abandoning the pursuit of real women and embrace inflatable ones, I understand they don't give you any back chat and will do everything you want with a permanent 'smile' on their face.

ReputationRep:
    ...pipe down.
    Yes Becca, pipe down, the men are talking.

ReputationRep:
    My point is pretty simple. Stick to the topic of the original post and stop trying to make this about you and your issues. You are clearly another sexually frustrated woman, but I’m not going to get into that and stoop to your level. Focus on the topic or pipe down.
    ‘Focus on the topic’ says the self righteous prick who then goes on to assume I’m ‘sexually frustrated”. Look I know I’m incredibly sexy, but that’s not why I’m frustrated. I’m pissed off at guys like you who believe women can’t talk about their genuine problems, but then feel entitled enough to assert their opinion.
    I could easily make a joke about your tiny d*ck size but hey, I’m not gonna ‘stoop to your level’. Pls just f**k off already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    Yes Becca, pipe down, the men are talking.
    With the way this thread is going I genuinely don’t know if you’re joking or not. Either way I’m done with this **** 👋

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.