Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating? watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    That assumption is an error. Of course a growing foetus will have emergent functioning organs like a heart and brain but these do not of themselves constitute either independent life (as at birth) or personhood.
    So then it is okay to murder a 9 month old unborn child still in there mother’s womb?

What about black people? For centuries, they were not considered human or even persons, should they have all been wiped out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone123)
    So basically you think it's weird for a woman to approach a man. That's your point of view. Plenty of women approach men and plenty of men have no problem with that. Plenty even like it. Society does allow it...and apps like Bumble are making it increasingly normal. Also women can approach men in a non-nightclub setting...

It strikes me that any weird outdated opinions on this thread are only expressed by male voices. All the women here are disagreeing with every backwards comment. I know plenty of forward-thinking, progressive men, just not apparently on the student room!

Also 'women don't need to go after men' - what the heck? Some men are shy, some men don't chat girls up, some men don't approach girls at all. What do you think we just wait around like wilting wallflowers and don't bother to approach anyone we might think is interesting ever? It's not as if women only ever approach someone if they're interested in them romantically either. In my experience few men approach women - it's a daunting prospect - particularly to approach a random group of people you don't know. It's daunting both for men and women to approach someone of the opposite sex they might be interested in, but both seem to manage it.

Why are all the boys on this thread propagating this outdated notion of masculinity like they've been reading some kind of 1950s etiquette manual? Perhaps it's because they have little experience of women?
    I never said it was weird. I even said I wish it was perfectly fine, but there is no way you can tell me that is has become perfectly normalised yet. I want it to be normal, I have said this.

You are taking some of my comments too literally. It is common knowledge that, in general, it is the man that goes after the woman. It is like that in pretty much every society in the world. Surely you aren't disputing that?

Because it is not the 'norm' for women to go after men, is it surprising that I may think there is an ulterior motive when they do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicBrum)
    I never said it was weird. I even said I wish it was perfectly fine, but there is no way you can tell me that is has become perfectly normalised yet. I want it to be normal, I have said this.

You are taking some of my comments too literally. It is common knowledge that, in general, it is the man that goes after the woman. It is like that in pretty much every society in the world. Surely you aren't disputing that?

Because it is not the 'norm' for women to go after men, is it surprising that I may think there is an ulterior motive when they do?
    I suppose it depends who you speak to as to what is 'normal'. As I've said, in my experience, I don't know many men that are forthright in going after women necessarily. I haven't seen it work out that way. It would probably be normal to an older generation. Not so for the current generation or incoming generations.

What would an ulterior motive be? That seems comical to me.

To be honest if every girl just waited for a guy to approach her, they could be waiting an awfully long time...maybe you're super skilled at approaching girls, but loads of guys don't feel confident doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    So then it is okay to murder a 9 month old unborn child still in there mother’s womb?...
    Well, this is why current abortion laws set a time limit from conception, because the emergence of personhood is accepted as gaining enough significance prior to birth.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, this is why current abortion laws set a time limit from conception, because the emergence of personhood is accepted as gaining enough significance prior to birth.
    The time limit is 24 weeks or 6 months, don't you think a 5 month unborn child is good enough to not be killed?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends who you speak to as to what is 'normal'. As I've said, in my experience, I don't know many men that are forthright in going after women necessarily. I haven't seen it work out that way. It would probably be normal to an older generation. Not so for the current generation or incoming generations.

What would an ulterior motive be? That seems comical to me.

To be honest if every girl just waited for a guy to approach her, they could be waiting an awfully long time...maybe you're super skilled at approaching girls, but loads of guys don't feel confident doing that.
    The ulterior motive could be many reasons. It all depends on where contact was made.

Online is worse than in the flesh.

If a woman contacts a man first on a dating site or social media I can almost guarantee the profile will be fake. Chances are they want your money in one way or another. Possibly to view a webcam show or just a straight up romance scam.

In the flesh the above can still apply but it's less likely. They could be making a move because they sleep around. While that's their prerogative, it's not what I would want. I've even seen women do this to get back at an ex in some sort of twisted logic.

Not an exhaustive list, just examples.

ReputationRep:
    The time limit is 24 weeks or 6 months, don't you think a 5 month unborn child is good enough to not be killed?
    It's not a child, it's a foetus.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's not a child, it's a foetus.
    Answer the question. Do you think it is okay for it to be killed?

Also a foetus is a medical term for an unborn child from embryonic state to birth. So it does not matter whether it is called “foetus” or “child”, if you are trying to dehumanise it.

ReputationRep:
    Answer the question. Do you think it is okay for it to be killed?
    If you mean the foetus to be terminated. Yes.

ReputationRep:
    The ulterior motive could be many reasons. It all depends on where contact was made.

Online is worse than in the flesh.

If a woman contacts a man first on a dating site or social media I can almost guarantee the profile will be fake. Chances are they want your money in one way or another. Possibly to view a webcam show or just a straight up romance scam.

In the flesh the above can still apply but it's less likely. They could be making a move because they sleep around. While that's their prerogative, it's not what I would want. I've even seen women do this to get back at an ex in some sort of twisted logic.

Not an exhaustive list, just examples.
    Again, we're harping back to the 1950s here. Women earn just as much as men, often more.

I mean, I don't agree with anything you say here, to be quite frank, I think it's absolute rubbish and not only that but also disrespectful. Our viewpoints are so diametrically opposed there's no point even entering into a discussion.

It tires me when people on this thread talk about women as though they're not rounded human beings and reduce people to bizarre stereotypes they somehow seem to have formed. Get out and meet more people is what I would say.

ReputationRep:
    Wage gap is a myth
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you mean the foetus to be terminated. Yes.
    Glad we have that covered.

ReputationRep:
    I would pay a girl to date me.

ReputationRep:
    Again, we're harping back to the 1950s here. Women earn just as much as men, often more.

I mean, I don't agree with anything you say here, to be quite frank, I think it's absolute rubbish and not only that but also disrespectful. Our viewpoints are so diametrically opposed there's no point even entering into a discussion.

It tires me when people on this thread talk about women as though they're not rounded human beings and reduce people to bizarre stereotypes they somehow seem to have formed. Get out and meet more people is what I would say.
    I'm not sure what women earning as much as men has to do with anything.

The 'female' profiles making first contact with men are most probably men themselves.

But if you believe they are all legit then that's fair enough. Maybe one day you will be contacted by a Nigerian Princess who wants to share their millions with you.

Enjoy the wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EqualitySloth)
    But those woman were alive, it all depends on when you think a foetus is ‘alive’
    You mean by the dictionary definition of alive? Because the dictionary definition of alive works for children who are still in the womb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    You mean by the dictionary definition of alive? Because the dictionary definition of alive works for children who are still in the womb.
    It also works for plants.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    It also works for plants.
    At what time do you think it is okay to murder an unborn child? 4 weeks, 12 weeks, 24 weeks or 36 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    At what time do you think it is okay to murder an unborn child? 4 weeks, 12 weeks, 24 weeks or 36 weeks?
    1) I don’t consider abortion murder, as I don’t believe a foetus has the same value of life as a baby that has been born, and it certainly doesn’t have a right to life over it’s mother.
    2) any time before 24 weeks, as after 24 weeks the baby would have a good chance of surviving on its own. I don’t see the point in having an abortion when they’re already far enough in to have considered it already, but it depends on the reasoning. If medically the pregnancy is a danger to the mother, or emotionally it’s harming her mental health and wellbeing, I would consider it okay to have the abortion.

While the ‘baby’ is in the mother’s body, I consider her life more important. If she doesn’t want to be pregnant anymore, I don’t consider it immoral to have an abortion. Once the baby is born, it’s an individual. It can survive without it’s mother, and the decisions about the baby are no longer decisions about the mothers own body.

ReputationRep:
    All of what you say is true, but it does show that there is a lot of negativity attached to women making moves on men.

If I am in a night club and a woman hits on me, I'm not gonna lie, my immediate thought will be "wow, she must be easy". As I say, this is for the simple fact that women don't need to go after men, so for her to come up to me I immediately assume it's something she must do all the time.

Whether it's fine for someone to sleep around or not is a different story, but that is my initial thought and it would take a lot to change it. So if the woman happens to be genuine then it makes it harder for her and that's a shame, it really shouldn't be like that.

I'm not single any more, but if I was, I would love it if society would allow for women to make moves on men, because I for one don't like doing it.
    I think re-assuring the man is the best way to do it. Make sure your intentions are good (no ulterior motive, assure him that you're not trying to mess him around) and say something like "you probably think I'm easy if I'm approaching you, but I only approach the few guys I'm really attracted to, and you are one of them". To assure him that you're not easy.

I understand if a shy girl won't approach men. But there are so many loud, confident girls I see around. They could quite easily approach a guy.

And if a girl is attracted to a particular guy, is she seriously just going to sit and wait forever till he makes a move? I can just imagine girls thinking "oh if only I apply my makeup slightly differently, give off all these obscure signals which are impossible to spot, maybe he will eventually notice me over all the other girls and ask me out". Or she could just do the common sense thing - walk up and talk to him. :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    1) I don’t consider abortion murder, as I don’t believe a foetus has the same value of life as a baby that has been born, and it certainly doesn’t have a right to life over it’s mother.
    2) any time before 24 weeks, as after 24 weeks the baby would have a good chance of surviving on its own. I don’t see the point in having an abortion when they’re already far enough in to have considered it already, but it depends on the reasoning. If medically the pregnancy is a danger to the mother, or emotionally it’s harming her mental health and wellbeing, I would consider it okay to have the abortion.

While the ‘baby’ is in the mother’s body, I consider her life more important. If she doesn’t want to be pregnant anymore, I don’t consider it immoral to have an abortion. Once the baby is born, it’s an individual. It can survive without it’s mother, and the decisions about the baby are no longer decisions about the mothers own body.
    Ok, thanks for your points.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.