Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I feel like you are confusing hypocrisy with preference.
    You have a hypocritical preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    No, i am not. I think you are.

Hypocrisy is having double standard, having a set of rules for yourself and then a different set for others. E.g. saying that people should donate to charity but then not donating to charity yourself.

Preference is wanting a particular thing for yourself, but not expecting another thing for others.
    Or saying that no one has the right to take someone else’s life and believing in the death penalty?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Hypocrisy is having double standard, having a set of rules for yourself and then a different set for others. E.g. saying that people should donate to charity but then not donating to charity yourself.

Preference is wanting a particular thing for yourself, but not expecting another thing for others.
    Okay, so if a guy with short hair states that he only dates women with long hair, he is a hypocrite? Not his preference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    You have a hypocritical preference.
    Oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Or saying that no one has the right to take someone else’s life and believing in the death penalty?
    +1

ReputationRep:

I think you may be stretching the meaning somewhat.

I'm a man and I am only attracted to women. I want my partner to be attracted to men otherwise we'd never be together.

Is it hypocritical of me to not be attracted to men?

I'm pretty sure it just makes me heterosexual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicBrum)

I'm a man and I am only attracted to women. I want my partner to be attracted to men otherwise we'd never be together.

That's different though, because it's physically impossible for you to be attracted to men. No matter how hard you try, you just won't be able to do it. Just like it's impossible for me to jump 20 metres into the air, it's impossible for you to be sexually attracted to another man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    That's different though, because it's physically impossible for you to be attracted to men. No matter how hard you try, you just won't be able to do it. Just like it's impossible for me to jump 20 metres into the air, it's impossible for you to be sexually attracted to another man.
    I don't know about impossible. People have done it before, maybe they never knew they liked something else but they gave it a try and liked it. So maybe I'm a hypocrite for not giving it a go...

But if you think my example is too extreme there are more examples in posts above.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Ok
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Okay, so if a guy with short hair states that he only dates women with long hair, he is a hypocrite? Not his preference?
    Double standards

ReputationRep:
    Double standards
    LOL! okay...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Look up double standards.

ReputationRep:
    A foetus is “alive” at conception. If it was dead it will be classified as a stillbirth. It lives and grows until it is ready to be born.
    Whether you think its a person at contraception or not is your opinion and not a fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    You mean by the dictionary definition of alive? Because the dictionary definition of alive works for children who are still in the womb.
    If i phrased it wrong im sorry, but i meant person not alive. And whether you believe a foetus is a person at contraception or after that is your opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EqualitySloth)
    Whether you think its a person at contraception or not is your opinion and not a fact
    Humans Foetuses are basically the same as any other foetus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke5125)
    Humans Foetuses are basically the same as any other foetus
    Yes and?

ReputationRep:
    Look up double standards.
    I'm not denying the double standards. I agree and I'm perfectly fine with having a double standard. It's the meaning of hypocrisy that I'm saying you are stretching.

So let's look up the definition of hypocrisy...

noun
    1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs,principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially aperson whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2.a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude,especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his orher public statements.

Not a single person in this thread has fallen under this definition of hypocrite. So if you want to go by the dictionary definition then it goes against everything you are saying.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EqualitySloth)
    It is the medical opinion of many doctors
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not denying the double standards. I agree and I'm perfectly fine with having a double standard. It's the meaning of hypocrisy that I'm saying you are stretching.

So let's look up the definition of hypocrisy...

noun
    1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs,principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially aperson whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2.a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude,especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his orher public statements.

Not a single person in this thread has fallen under this definition of hypocrite. So if you want to go by the dictionary definition then it goes against everything you are saying.
    Some people have shown option 2. Having double standards is also hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    It is the medical opinion of many doctors
    Ypu mean conservative/republican/pro life doctors

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.