It is the medical opinion of many doctors
    Ypu mean conservative/republican/pro life doctors
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EqualitySloth)
    Ypu mean conservative/republican/pro life doctors
    They are doctors. Just because they disagree with you doesn’t make them bad doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    They are doctors. Just because they disagree with you doesn’t make them bad doctors.
    Thats not what im saying, im saying that th majority of conservative etc doctors agree that personhood begins at contraception. But not the majority of doctors as a whole

ReputationRep:
    Some people have shown option 2. Having double standards is also hypocrisy.
    The 2nd option says they "feigns some desirable or publicly approved". Nobody on here has done that. Everyone has been perfectly honest about their standards, not feigned them.

ReputationRep:
    How is it their ‘medical’ opinion? Personhood isn’t a physical thing that doctor’s can diagnose. I don’t see how a doctors opinion of when a foetus becomes a person is anymore valid as anyone else’s, it’s a belief more than anything. Hence why people have so many different opinions, there’s no “proof” one way or the other.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thats not what im saying, im saying that th majority of conservative etc doctors agree that personhood begins at contraception. But not the majority of doctors as a whole
    Medical opinion is just that, an opinion. There are rarely facts in medicine. The only fact is existence of life and death, everything else is an opinion, which can be argued. Once you get more people to share that opinion, then you win, but not proof facts.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    How is it their ‘medical’ opinion? Personhood isn’t a physical thing that doctor’s can diagnose. I don’t see how a doctors opinion of when a foetus becomes a person is anymore valid as anyone else’s, it’s a belief more than anything. Hence why people have so many different opinions, there’s no “proof” one way or the other.
    Doctors can have an opinion. When it is supported by medical basis, then it is a medical opinion. It is different from a layman’s somewhat ignorant outpour. This is the reason that we have subject-matter experts.

The concept of personhood is a social construct and not a biological one. A doctor can tell you that based on the medical evidence, a 15 weeks unborn baby is a living being. It is now down to society’s socially constructed definition that determines whether this being is a “person”.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors can have an opinion. When it is supported by medical basis, then it is a medical opinion. It is different from a layman’s somewhat ignorant outpour. This is the reason that we have subject-matter experts.

The concept of personhood is a social construct and not a biological one. A doctor can tell you that based on the medical evidence, a 15 weeks unborn baby is a living being. It is now down to society’s socially constructed definition that determines whether this being is a “person”.
    I agree, hence the belief that “it’s a person at conception” is not a medical opinion. There’s no medical evidence of personhood.

Whether you think its a person at contraception or not is your opinion and not a fact

I don’t think anyone is claiming that a foetus is an inanimate object, but debating the value and rights the form of life is entitled to.

ReputationRep:
    Because feminism and equality only applies when it suits women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    The whole ‘dating’ paragraph sounds like an emotionally abusive relationship to me, that ain’t healthy. If a guy wants to “take charge” and pay for everything and shuts me down when I say i’m not comfortable with it that’s a big ol no from me. Both parties should put in equal amounts of effort, expense and work.

I think women who campaign for the top list are very rarely the same women from the bottom list. The contradiction is only if you generalise “all women” as one group. Then you see one woman wanting something, another woman wanting a contradicting thing, then your head explodes because what a feminist wants isn’t the same as what a gold digger wants. Once you figure out women don’t all have one list of desires to go off, the confusion is easily banished.

Relationships should be balance and respect, seeing your partner as an equal not just a pay check or a sex doll.
    agreed.

ReputationRep:
    If i phrased it wrong im sorry, but i meant person not alive. And whether you believe a foetus is a person at contraception or after that is your opinion
    Yep. Just like, up until the early 20th century, women were not people either.

A zygote doesn't show brain activity. Babies do. In fact, babies in the womb display a lot of characteristics and even show preferences.

What, in your opinion, is a person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Yep. Just like, up until the early 20th century, women were not people either.

A zygote doesn't show brain activity. Babies do. In fact, babies in the womb display a lot of characteristics and even show preferences.

What, in your opinion, is a person?
    I think that a person is someone that has fundamental rights and liberties

ReputationRep:
    i honestly don't understand this. as a woman and as a feminist, this whole 'prince charming' relationship is ********. i understand when girls want to have a relationship alike that, as long as they give their man the time of day too. personally, i'm forever asking my boyfriend if he's okay with everything we do. i pay for most of the dates, we cook together, and we cry together. if your relationship doesn't have balance, and one of you is trying to be superior, it's an unhealthy relationship.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by guys014)
    i honestly don't understand this. as a woman and as a feminist, this whole 'prince charming' relationship is ********. i understand when girls want to have a relationship alike that, as long as they give their man the time of day too. personally, i'm forever asking my boyfriend if he's okay with everything we do. i pay for most of the dates, we cook together, and we cry together. if your relationship doesn't have balance, and one of you is trying to be superior, it's an unhealthy relationship.
    You crying together? Is he your man or your sister?

I agree with what you have written. The problem is that some women deep-down don't want balance. They want preferential treatment, where they receive what they get.

I mean i have heard a girl say that she does not give her boyfriend gifts because she gives him sex. We were all stunned. When a woman thinks her body is the ultimate gift, how can a man compete with that? I wonder if a guy said that, he would be single within minutes of it leaving his lips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)

This is all fair enough. Except they don't want equality in dating. Men are still expected to:

- ask the woman out and face possible rejection (women might give subtle hints, but under no circumstances will they ask the man out - that is "his job"
    - pay for the first date (and possible subsequent dates as well)
    - propose to the woman
    - treat her with meals/gifts
    - hold open the door for her
    - give up his coat if she's cold, so he can freeze (but never the other way around)
    - put the majority of effort into sex (this is centered around pleasing the woman - the man's enjoyment is always assumed)
    - be manly and dominant, never show any weak emotions, keep his problems bottled up because otherwise it's "unmanly"
    It is not a question of gender equality.. The majority of women expect men to be confident, dominant and assertive. Men who lack those qualities will make poor dates and poor mates, so are of no value. Therefore they deserve to be single . Stop complaining about how unfair life is and man up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Erin Prizzy was an early proponent on how power relationship work within relationships aren't quite as clear cut as they commonly perceived
    - you mean Erin Pizzey. She opened the first women's refuge in the UK, but spoke about how many of her clients had hit their male partners first, or hit as much as they were hit. For this she got her cat killed, windows smashed, 24/7 pickets outside her house, and had to flee the UK for years.

ReputationRep:
    I think that a person is someone that has fundamental rights and liberties

Great! So we're on to a definition. So you feel that someone in the early twentieth century who terminated the life of a woman was every bit as innocent as someone who terminates the life of an unborn child?

Because women weren't persons under your definition or the definition of the government a hundred years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death and Taxes)
    It is not a question of gender equality.. The majority of women expect men to be confident, dominant and assertive. Men who lack those qualities will make poor dates and poor mates, so are of no value. Therefore they deserve to be single . Stop complaining about how unfair life is and man up.
    Confidence and assertiveness are certainly good traits to have in life.

However, you can be confident and assertive, while also sharing responsibilities equally. The situation I described in the first post, the woman is just take take taking. This is what women have become - take as much as they can from men, while offering little or nothing in return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    ...What, in your opinion, is a person?
    I don't think a foetus is a person. Once the foetus is at, or at least close to, the point of physiological independence from the pregnant woman, its personhood emerges. In the absence of religious appeals I think that is the most reasonable approach to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    I don't think a foetus is a person. Once the foetus is at, or at least close to, the point of physiological independence from the pregnant woman, its personhood emerges. In the absence of religious appeals I think that is the most reasonable approach to take.
    And in the early twentieth century, many people didn't think women were people.

Do you agree with that statement?

If not, why do you think your opinion is more correct than theirs?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.