Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    And you ain't going to get that experience sitting around waiting for men to approach you. :lol: Particularly when your signals are "smile and eye contact", like everyone does when they're just being friendly and not looking to be asked out.
    It's only "men" in the UK that expect women to do the approaching, so yes it is me assuming that I should sit down and wait for men to do it.

(Original post by Wired_1800)
    Yes, but in many cases you learn from your community. Most women learn from the sisters and mothers. Now they also learn from the internet.

We have very young girls (i.e. 12/13 year olds) knowing about f*uckboys, so they are aware of clowns pretending to be men. This has been due to social media and the internet.
    I have no sisters and my Mother is single...now what? Reading=/= experience.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. This is one of the issues that i have with some women.

When they are just being friendly, they give “smile and eye contact”. When they fancy you, they give “smile and eye contact”.

So a lad sees a girl “smile and give eye contact”, he assumes she fancies him, so he goes in. She shuts him down and then tells her mates about the freak she met at Starbucks.
    Well it could be the same in reversed lol. I never, and I mean almost never see guys (my age) making eye contact with me, let alone smiling at me. I get approached like 3 times a year by guys (my age). How am I supposed to know if they want me to approach them?
    What if I approach them, then they reject me and talk about the weird girl that approached them in starbucks....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    It's only "men" in the UK that expect women to do the approaching, so yes it is me assuming that I should sit down and wait for men to do it.

I have no sisters and my Mother is single...now what? Reading=/= experience.
    It's because women in the UK want equal rights. Except in certain areas where they are at an advantage - dating being one of them. Guys aren't stupid and can see this hypocrisy for what it is. So rightfully they expect women to pull their weight and do their fair share when it comes to dating. That's what equal rights is all about.

A couple of questions: if you think asking out is a man's job, what is a woman's job according to you?

And if you reach your late 20's (I don't know how old you are, but I'm assuming early 20's) and no guys have approached you and you still have no dating experience, are you going to sit around waiting for another 10 years?

ReputationRep:
    It's because women in the UK want equal rights. Except in certain areas where they are at an advantage - dating being one of them. Guys aren't stupid and can see this hypocrisy for what it is. So rightfully they expect women to pull their weight and do their fair share when it comes to dating. That's what equal rights is all about.

A couple of questions: if you think asking out is a man's job, what is a woman's job according to you?

And if you reach your late 20's (I don't know how old you are, but I'm assuming early 20's) and no guys have approached you and you still have no dating experience, are you going to sit around waiting for another 10 years?
    If I didn't use TSR, I wouldn't have even known that guys want women to do the approaching. It's literally only men in the UK that want women to start doing the approaching, it's so odd to me.
    A lot of guys dont give hints or even smile at me so how am I supposed to know they want me to approach them?

ReputationRep:
    I agree. This is one of the issues that i have with some women.

When they are just being friendly, they give “smile and eye contact”. When they fancy you, they give “smile and eye contact”.

So a lad sees a girl “smile and give eye contact”, he assumes she fancies him, so he goes in. She shuts him down and then tells her mates about the freak she met at Starbucks.
    A guy who is attractive and approaches a girl - he is cute/sexy/confident.

A guy who is ugly and approaches a girl - creepy, weird, sexual harrassment, pervert, rapist etc.

There's a good image (can't find it now) which sums up different things a guy can do. And a girl will think everything an attractive guy does is cute/mysterious/sexy. The same things done by an ugly guy will be creepy/weird/loser-like.

And then girls say looks don't matter and it's personality which counts. That is utter rubbish. :lol: Looks only start to not matter at a much older age (like 40's or 50's). Right through your teens and 20's, even into your 30's, looks are everything.

ReputationRep:

A guy who is ugly and approaches a girl - creepy, weird, sexual harrassment, pervert, rapist etc.

There's a good image (can't find it now) which sums up different things a guy can do. And a girl will think everything an attractive guy does is cute/mysterious/sexy. The same things done by an ugly guy will be creepy/weird/loser-like.

And then girls say looks don't matter and it's personality which counts. That is utter rubbish. :lol: Looks only start to not matter at a much older age (like 40's or 50's). Right through your teens and 20's, even into your 30's, looks are everything.
    Interesting how you ignored my posts lol.....

ReputationRep:
    Interesting how you ignored my posts lol.....
    Which posts? I replied to your quote, not sure what else you want me to reply to. Please reply to my 2 questions btw.

ReputationRep:
    Which posts? I replied to your quote, not sure what else you want me to reply to. Please reply to my 2 questions btw.
    If I didn't use TSR, I wouldn't have even known that guys want women to do the approaching. It's literally only men in the UK that want women to start doing the approaching, it's so odd to me.
    A lot of guys dont give hints or even smile at me so how am I supposed to know they want me to approach them?

This...was my response.

Guy dont give me hints that they want me to approach them so how am I supposed to make a first move?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i have no sisters and my Mother is single...now what? Reading=/= experience.
    Your mother should tell you about boys and dating. It is a right of passage for many people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well it could be the same in reversed lol. I never, and I mean almost never see guys (my age) making eye contact with me, let alone smiling at me. I get approached like 3 times a year by guys (my age). How am I supposed to know if they want me to approach them?
    What if I approach them, then they reject me and talk about the weird girl that approached them in starbucks....
    That is the issue about dating and making moves. You win some and you lose some. Most of the time, it is the guy that tries to make the first move, sometimes the girl should do so.

ReputationRep:
    Your mother should tell you about boys and dating. It is a right of passage for many people.
    I don’t know anyone who’s mum taught them about dating? The only help I got from my parents about dating was “don’t do it”. It’s a nice idea in theory but in reality very few girls have an open enough relationship with their mums to talk about relationships and sex. At most it’s a brief and awkward chat about using protection.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I agree. Some women talk loads of rubbish. I think for young people, looks matter the most, then you consider the confidence, style etc.

For older people, looks don't really matter that much because most of the women have lost their looks due to life, children or stress. So they can’t go for attributes that they don't have. Besides, physical attraction takes a back seat since their situation has changed. At that age range, they are mostly interested in social attributes like wealth, class, status etc.

The funny thing about this situation is that some women will shout that “looks don’t matter”, but would never give an ugly dude a chance. A girl at my uni has even said that she did not want her children to be ugly, when asked why she prefers looks.

ReputationRep:
    That is the issue about dating and making moves. You win some and you lose some. Most of the time, it is the guy that tries to make the first move, sometimes the girl should do so.
    Well, so why were you complaining about me at least showing signs when guys never show signs they want to be approached? How am I supposed to know they are into me?
    Not everyone has a relationship with their Mother like that...I dont....

ReputationRep:
    Don’t generalise dude, I’m a feminist and I believe in equality for BOTH genders. I’d happily give my coat up for my BF or pay for dinner.

There are different types of feminists. Some just want women to rule and others want equality for everyone. Some feminist fight the patriarchy AND capitalism, others don’t.

I just don’t want my gender to define how I should act.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, so why were you complaining about me at least showing signs when guys never show signs they want to be approached? How am I supposed to know they are into me?

Not everyone has a relationship with their Mother like that...I dont....
    If you don't have a relationship with your mom, that is fair.

You are now changing your stance. Before you used to argue that you would never approach a guy, but now you are talking about not having sufficient cues from lads.

To me, we are not all the same, you will get a good sign from a guy and nothing from someone else.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have a relationship with your mom, that is fair.

You are now changing your stance. Before you used to argue that you would never approach a guy, but now you are talking about not having sufficient cues from lads.

To me, we are not all the same, you will get a good sign from a guy and nothing from someone else.
    Well, to me, there is no reason to approach a guy with no evidence he will be interested. Like....guys hardly make eye contact with me (no joke)
    So what if I changed my stance? I change my opinions all the time. I would be okay with initiating a conversation. BUT it would be better if the guy gave me some hints because that never happens.

BTW, Why did you say mom and not mum....you are not American?.............
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, to me, there is no reason to approach a guy with no evidence he will be interested. Like....guys hardly make eye contact with me (no joke)
    So what if I changed my stance? I change my opinions all the time. I would be okay with initiating a conversation. BUT it would be better if the guy gave me some hints because that never happens.

BTW, Why did you say mom and not mum....you are not American?.............
    I have been Americanised so much that i make grammatical errors.

Now you probably see how frustrating it is for a guy. What kind of signals would you need to talk to a guy?

ReputationRep:
    I have been Americanised so much that i make grammatical errors.

Now you probably see how frustrating it is for a guy. What kind of signals would you need to talk to a guy?
    Really...I mean this is a British site, so..?

No, because I give signs. Guys my age dont look in my direction. He needs to look in my direction at least, lmao.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Really...I mean this is a British site, so..?

No, because I give signs. Guys my age dont look in my direction. He needs to look in my direction at least, lmao.
    Many people have been Americanised that we interchange British and American words.

So you would only give signs to the guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    But the passing of laws don't of themselves represent what people actually believe, no matter how you characterise 'many'. I'm sure there are laws which do represent the beliefs of 'many' but that's not the same thing as saying a law demonstrates the belief of many, indeed some laws seem to fly in the face of popular belief no matter that there might be democratic representation of some kind. Moreover, there will be laws passed every day which the wider population are completely ignorant about let alone have a belief as to. Let me help you out though seeing as you're not getting anywhere with all this. I believe that women are people, I don't believe that a foetus is a person, I believe that a foetus starts to gain personhood when it is at, or is close to, physiological independence from the mother. Is there an arbitrary quality to that? Sure, but as I definitely do not accept that a fertilised egg is suddenly a person and there is a development from that to personhood I think that is the most sensible point at which to identify the status. Until a foetus is physiologically independent then it is still, in my view, something of an organ of the mother.
    So you believe that, at the point where a child could be viable and physically survive without the mother, that we should outlaw abortion at that point? That isn't arbitary at all and, in fact, much of the argument for 24 weeks was based around that.

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk...eally-matters/

(With an Oxford reference for your perusal)

Obviously, you know I'm about to say "Science is advancing to the point where children more and more premature are being able to survive. This is why the current limit was placed at 24 weeks because, at the time the laws were passed, that was the limit that science could save the child.

Currently, Amillia Taylor is the youngest premature child to be born(At 21 weeks). Do you think that the age of abortion should be reduced to less than 21 weeks, now that science has improved?

And you still haven't answered whether or not you thought that terminating women prior to 1929 was morally wrong, given that they were not legally 'persons', either.

If your 'When is a child a person' is truly arbitrary and you recognize that, then I honestly can't argue with it. Nor can you argue someone who says 'I believe only I am a person worthy of life' because you have chosen the same line for your morality: Complete arbitrariness.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.