Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating? watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by loveleest)
    No, I will go for a holiday first. I was just considering it. I am thinking of a few places to apply for grad jobs, but I would need to visit first. I really don't see myself in London in 10 years+ time at all, but we will see.
    Ok fair enough
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Originally? I thought you were black?
    What? Are you trying to suggest that she is not from London because she is black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    What? Are you trying to suggest that she is not from London because she is black?
    Not originally, no
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not originally, no
    Are you originally from the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Are you originally from the UK?
    Wouldn’t say so. I was just born here
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wouldn’t say so. I was just born here
    I think the issue of heritage and citizenship is a very stupid one. This is because there were no “original” people on these British Isles.

ReputationRep:
    I think the issue of heritage and citizenship is a very stupid one. This is because there were no “original” people on these British Isles.
    That may be true but since none of my family are natives of the UK, I just wouldn’t classify myself originally being from the UK because I’d just feel like I’m neglecting my roots. I’m not English but I would say that I’m British. Tbh, if someone were to ask me where I’m ‘originally’ from, that would translate to me as ‘why are you black?’
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That may be true but since none of my family are natives of the UK, I just wouldn’t classify myself originally being from the UK because I’d just feel like I’m neglecting my roots. I’m not English but I would say that I’m British. Tbh, if someone were to ask me where I’m ‘originally’ from, that would translate to me as ‘why are you black?’
    So you are black? Then where are you originally from?

The point that I was trying to make was that there are few or no native person from the UK. Your point had a xenophobic tone to it, hence my response.

ReputationRep:
    But even the answer you give to that is unlikely to be where you were originally from. If the woman has lived in London all her life and feels that's where she's from, I don't see how that can be up for debate...

ReputationRep:
    So you are black? Then where are you originally from?

The point that I was trying to make was that there are few or no native person from the UK. Your point had a xenophobic tone to it, hence my response.
    Yeah I’m black, originally from Nigeria. I was born in London though.
    I get your point but I’m far from xenophobic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    But even the answer you give to that is unlikely to be where you were originally from. If the woman has lived in London all her life and feels that's where she's from, I don't see how that can be up for debate...
    I classify being originally from a country that my immediate family and ancestors were from. She can feel differently, but I was curious, hence my question.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah I’m black, originally from Nigeria. I was born in London though.
    I get your point but I’m far from xenophobic
    Fair. I think there are two points:

1. Where an individual is originally from, to me, is where they are born.
    2. Where an individual’s family is from, is due to their heritage.

For example, you can be originally from the UK, but your family originated from Nigeria.

I am just pedantic about these definitions because we need to change perceptions that you are less than another person because you are black. Once you are born in a country, you have and should have equal rights to the nation as everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    Originally? I thought you were black?
    I am black. By originally, I meant by born and bred in London

ReputationRep:
    I classify being originally from a country that my immediate family and ancestors were from. She can feel differently, but I was curious, hence my question.
    I understand what you mean but I consider myself a Londoner first and foremost. My Mother was also born here aswell, and only one of her parents are immigrants. Both from different countries. I just classify myself as a Londoner first, because I feel like it's my identity more. If someone refers to my background I will say where my grandparents are from

ReputationRep:
    Fair. I think there are two points:

1. Where an individual is originally from, to me, is where they are born.
    2. Where an individual’s family is from, is due to their heritage.

For example, you can be originally from the UK, but your family originated from Nigeria.
    Fair.

I am just pedantic about these definitions because we need to change perceptions that you are less than another person because you are black. Once you are born in a country, you have and should have equal rights to the nation as everybody else.
    Oh I know I’m not less than anyone and that I have the exact same rights as a white British person.

It’s just the way I choose to interpret these things. It’s a bit weird though because a lot of white people wouldnt refer to me as English but my family (aunts, uncles etc.) always comment that I’m ‘too English ‘ because I obviously have a very British accent so it’s kind of like I don’t fit in anywhere but oh well, such is life
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Fair

Oh I know I’m not less than anyone and that I have the exact same rights as a white British person.

It’s just the way I choose to interpret these things. It’s a bit weird though because a lot of white people wouldnt refer to me as English but my family (aunts, uncles etc.) always comment that I’m ‘too English ‘ because I obviously have a very British accent so it’s kind of like I don’t fit in anywhere but oh well, such is life
    I think some people would do so, in order to put you down. They would want to show that they have a more legitimate right to be here than you do. It is simply idiotic.

I think you have the benefit of experiencing your British identity and learning from your family’s background. They are not and should not be mutually exclusive.

ReputationRep:
    You are annoying as hell.

dont quote me, pls. ever.
    He defeated your argument. You couldn't think of a logical counter-argument, so had to resort to a personal attack. Very mature. :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    If you ask someone where they are originally from then you are referring specifically to them, not their family. If you mean where their family heritage lies then say that.

My grandparents are from Jamaica. It doesn't make me originally from Jamaica. I'm from Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    I am black. By originally, I meant by born and bred in London
    This might explain a lot why you want men to approach.

And it also explains why men don't approach you (other than black men).

Can I ask, are you a really dark shade of black or more a lighter shade? (the answer to this question would also explain a lot)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    This might explain a lot why you want men to approach.

And it also explains why men don't approach you (other than black men).

Can I ask, are you a really dark shade of black or more a lighter shade? (the answer to this question would also explain a lot)
    This whole post is extremely ignorant

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.