The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dheorl
But even the answer you give to that is unlikely to be where you were originally from. If the woman has lived in London all her life and feels that's where she's from, I don't see how that can be up for debate...

I classify being originally from a country that my immediate family and ancestors were from. She can feel differently, but I was curious, hence my question.
Original post by cherryred90s
Yeah I’m black, originally from Nigeria. I was born in London though.
I get your point but I’m far from xenophobic

Fair. I think there are two points:

1. Where an individual is originally from, to me, is where they are born.
2. Where an individual’s family is from, is due to their heritage.

For example, you can be originally from the UK, but your family originated from Nigeria.

I am just pedantic about these definitions because we need to change perceptions that you are less than another person because you are black. Once you are born in a country, you have and should have equal rights to the nation as everybody else.
Originally? I thought you were black?

I am black. By originally, I meant by born and bred in London
I classify being originally from a country that my immediate family and ancestors were from. She can feel differently, but I was curious, hence my question.

I understand what you mean but I consider myself a Londoner first and foremost. My Mother was also born here aswell, and only one of her parents are immigrants. Both from different countries. I just classify myself as a Londoner first, because I feel like it's my identity more. If someone refers to my background I will say where my grandparents are from
Original post by Wired_1800
Fair. I think there are two points:

1. Where an individual is originally from, to me, is where they are born.
2. Where an individual’s family is from, is due to their heritage.

For example, you can be originally from the UK, but your family originated from Nigeria.

Fair.

I am just pedantic about these definitions because we need to change perceptions that you are less than another person because you are black. Once you are born in a country, you have and should have equal rights to the nation as everybody else.

Oh I know I’m not less than anyone and that I have the exact same rights as a white British person.

It’s just the way I choose to interpret these things. It’s a bit weird though because a lot of white people wouldnt refer to me as English but my family (aunts, uncles etc.) always comment that I’m ‘too English because I obviously have a very British accent so it’s kind of like I don’t fit in anywhere but oh well, such is life
Fair

Oh I know I’m not less than anyone and that I have the exact same rights as a white British person.

It’s just the way I choose to interpret these things. It’s a bit weird though because a lot of white people wouldnt refer to me as English but my family (aunts, uncles etc.) always comment that I’m ‘too English because I obviously have a very British accent so it’s kind of like I don’t fit in anywhere but oh well, such is life

I think some people would do so, in order to put you down. They would want to show that they have a more legitimate right to be here than you do. It is simply idiotic.

I think you have the benefit of experiencing your British identity and learning from your family’s background. They are not and should not be mutually exclusive.
Original post by loveleest
You are annoying as hell.

dont quote me, pls. ever.
He defeated your argument. You couldn't think of a logical counter-argument, so had to resort to a personal attack. Very mature. :congrats:

If you ask someone where they are originally from then you are referring specifically to them, not their family. If you mean where their family heritage lies then say that.

My grandparents are from Jamaica. It doesn't make me originally from Jamaica. I'm from Birmingham.
I am black. By originally, I meant by born and bred in London
This might explain a lot why you want men to approach.

And it also explains why men don't approach you (other than black men).

Can I ask, are you a really dark shade of black or more a lighter shade? (the answer to this question would also explain a lot)
Original post by snowman77

Can I ask, are you a really dark shade of black or more a lighter shade? (the answer to this question would also explain a lot)

This whole post is extremely ignorant
He defeated your argument. You couldn't think of a logical counter-argument, so had to resort to a personal attack. Very mature. :congrats:

Pot meet kettle.
Original post by JoeyA2000
Completely agree with everything you’ve said there. And when a man breaks up with a women, men are ********s etc etc. But when women break up with men it’s ‘you go girl atttiude’ you don’t need him he’s a looser etc etc. Women are very strange creatures.

Yeah I agree.
But its bad for girls too.
For example if a guy had sex his mates would probably be like "what a lad" but if a girl had sex she would get called a slut.
This world needs to fix up
everyone should be equal and as long as no emotional or physical harm is caused to yourself or anyone else you should be allowed to do what you like.
Original post by rollerskater123
Yeah I agree.
But its bad for girls too.
For example if a guy had sex his mates would probably be like "what a lad" but if a girl had sex she would get called a slut.
This world needs to fix up
everyone should be equal and as long as no emotional or physical harm is caused to yourself or anyone else you should be allowed to do what you like.

It is easy for a girl to have sex but hard for a guy. Have you heard of a fat stud but there are loads of fat sl*ts.

Women need to understand this and have some control.

This is odd. What has my skin tone got to this with it? Most men do not approach here, and white men hardly ever. So what is your point?

Some people consider me to be light, although I think I am brown. I am like Kerry washington skin tone
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
It is easy for a girl to have sex but hard for a guy. Have you heard of a fat stud but there are loads of fat sl*ts.

Women need to understand this and have some control.

Well, thats the guys fault. If it wasnt that they had such low standards, it wouldn't be so easy for women.

And why are you slut shaming?
Original post by EpicBrum
If you ask someone where they are originally from then you are referring specifically to them, not their family. If you mean where their family heritage lies then say that.

My grandparents are from Jamaica. It doesn't make me originally from Jamaica. I'm from Birmingham.

When people hear my British accent and still ask me where I’m originally from, I suspect that they’re expecting an answer other than London. As I said, it’s just how you interpret it. If you feel like your originally from Birmingham then fair, but I wouldn’t say that I’m originally from London
This whole post is extremely ignorant
No it's not. Skin colour plays a big role in dating. Black women get messaged the least on dating sites. https://theblog.okcupid.com/race-and-attraction-2009-2014-107dcbb4f060 I imagine a very similar situation is true in the real world.

Please look at the statistics before you call me ignorant. It's not a personal attack. I don't have any problems with her skin colour, why would I? I'm explaining a possible reason she gets approached less.

When it comes to dating, people are still very prejudiced on looks. This includes skin colour.
This is odd. What has my skin tone got to this with it? Most men do not approach here, and white men hardly ever. So what is your point?

Some people consider me to be light, although I think I am brown. I am like Kerry washington skin tone
See my reply in post #1167. Read that link, it will explain everything.

Black girls hardly ever approach, they are not into gender equality, they generally want YOU to approach and have a mentality that the guy must do all the work and once even a black girl kept looking at me in a club and I could tell she wanted me to approach her [but I couldn't be bothered] and then after a while her face changed and she started giving me hostile looks......

i've only been approached by 4 black girls IRL
No it's not. Skin colour plays a big role in dating. Black women get messaged the least on dating sites. https://theblog.okcupid.com/race-and-attraction-2009-2014-107dcbb4f060 I imagine a very similar situation is true in the real world.

Please look at the statistics before you call me ignorant. It's not a personal attack. I don't have any problems with her skin colour, why would I? I'm explaining a possible reason she gets approached less.

When it comes to dating, people are still very prejudiced on looks. This includes skin colour.

Are you white?
Are you implying that because I am darker guys are more intimidated? I have a baby face and look like I won't harm a fly. Literally, lmao.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending