Maths is so hard what is best way to revise

Watch
aleena1234
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am not rubbish at maths I am just average and get Cs but I find it so hard to improve my grade I normally watch Khan Academy or watch videos but the actual exam papers turn out so hard. What is the best way to revise maths?
A level maths students anyone
Svesh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do every past paper in existence
aleena1234
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by aceplayyt)
Do every past paper in existence
really will it work I only have 3 months
Ele_20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I tend to just do past papers and make topic posters
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Solution = practice x 10^29
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
practice papers, exam questions. that's the only way you can revise the methods. watching videos won't help very much.
Kirarater
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You’re rubbish at maths
waleed99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Step 1) Do past papers
Step 2) Look at step 1
Step 3) Look at step 2
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I used this technique to get through graduate school. I really don't think i would have swindled them out of a master's degree without using it.

Start off, assigning a 'quickee' title to each topic covered. In the first few pages of your notebook, list the topic titles, along with a more detailed description of what the title really is. When your instructor starts a new topic [nearly all will be mentioned quite a few times in the period before the next test], write down the quickee title in your notes, along with the date/time when the lecture mention was started. I used to tape record my lectures, because i could not take notes fast enough to keep up with a fast lecturer. You might want to consider that. I would leave LOTS of blank space in my notebook, with an occasion line to 'synchronize' me with the tape when i played it back. Later, after i got home, i would play back the tape, and fill in the missing lecture + student comments/questions. I would make sure i got all the drawings & diagrams that the instructor put on the board - in detail. When the instructor finished, i would note the time. Taking the difference between the two times noted, would give me the time spent on that 'quickee' topic. I would assign a 'work factor' to the work the instructor did. Nobody likes to do extra work. If the instructor is taking the time to draw things on the board, or make up handouts for the class - it is a mark that they think that particular topic is more important. I used to assign work factors of (for example) 1 to 3 for 'just talking about it'. 2 to 5 for 'drawing something on the board' (depending on complexity, coloured chalk, etc), 4 to 7 for handouts prepared for the class (number of pages, complexity), and 6 to 9 for viewgraphs [get projector, extension cord, screen]. For combined lectures: talk about it for 3 minutes, draw on board for 5, i would multiply (for example) 2 (medium complexity) by 3, giving 6 for the lecture, and 4 by 5 (medium complexity on board, by 5 minutes spent) for 20. Adding the two, you get 6 plus 20 = 26. This would be added to the 'scores' for all other times that that topic had been mentioned during the grading period. I would do this for ALL topics. I would then 'rank' all of the topics in decreasing total 'scores'. The highest scoring topic, was what the instructor thought was most important, the next highest, the next most important. Then, decide how many problems/questions the instructor can ask. Usually, for a 'garden variety' test, an hour is about all you can productively get work out of the average student for. Say that you figure you have time to answer 4 or 5 questions/problems. Taking the topics in descending order of 'total scores', make up 7 or 8 problems/questions, which incorporate ALL of the details that you saw in class or homework problems. Become thoroughly familiar with each of these problems - so that you can 'work them with your eyes closed'. If you do this, you should be fairly well prepared for your test. The first time i did this, i got the guy 100%. I only worked up 5 problems [He had said we'd have 4]. ALL of these problems appeared on the final exam for the course, and NONE others!! I did the one hour exam in 18 minutes. I had/have a 'policy' of working through the exam - looking for arithmetic & other mistakes three times, and not finding any, before i quit. The first two times, i found a mistake & corrected them. I then went through 3 times - finding no mistakes. Total time expended - 22 minutes. I got a 100% (naturally) on the exam. My two 'study buddies' were amazed. A week before, we had gotten together to discuss the upcoming exam, and they hadn't liked ANY of my problems. C'est la vie!!

Take care.
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Practice
Amullai
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aleena1234)
I am not rubbish at maths I am just average and get Cs but I find it so hard to improve my grade I normally watch Khan Academy or watch videos but the actual exam papers turn out so hard. What is the best way to revise maths?
A level maths students anyone
Past papers, especially the harder questions on them. Look for the hardest questions you can do and then go further. Try some harder ones until you get the methods and ideas behind them. Then continue to advance until you get the hardest questions. Also be pedantic. If something is slightly wrong in your answer do it again. For example in proof questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (131)
43.23%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
14.85%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (121)
39.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (6)
1.98%

Watched Threads