Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got all my offers from unis and have a pretty good idea of where I want to go however wherever I go will mean I won't be there for Freshers week (I'll be on holiday, it was booked before I even applied). I'm not that fussed on missing out on all the partying but will it affect how I settle in and make friends? Also has anyone else missed Freshers week or know someone that has?
    Any contributions appreciated
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by OLPR)
    I've got all my offers from unis and have a pretty good idea of where I want to go however wherever I go will mean I won't be there for Freshers week (I'll be on holiday, it was booked before I even applied). I'm not that fussed on missing out on all the partying but will it affect how I settle in and make friends? Any contributions appreciated
    Missing it could affect your ability to settle in as you could miss out on people meeting each other and introductory lectures, if you can cancel the holiday then i'd suggest that you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OLPR)
    I've got all my offers from unis and have a pretty good idea of where I want to go however wherever I go will mean I won't be there for Freshers week (I'll be on holiday, it was booked before I even applied). I'm not that fussed on missing out on all the partying but will it affect how I settle in and make friends? Also has anyone else missed Freshers week or know someone that has?
    Freshers week, while mostly for partying, still has course-specific events that are pretty important to attend. It allows you to meet people on your course/doing the same modules, and makes the first proper week of lectures and seminars more relaxing as you already know the layout of the uni and have allies to look out for.

Some international students on my course missed Freshers week, but they tend to keep to themselves anyway. If I had missed Freshers week, I would have definitely found the first week I did attend more nerve-wracking and stressful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OLPR)
    Yes it will affect you socially and to some extent your course. There could be things you are required to do or events to attend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.