Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for the Primary PGCE interview? I believe there is literacy and numeracy tests along with a group/presentation on a current educational topic.

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I had an interview yesterday and I have now received an offer so hopefully I can help!

So I had to do a maths game, read them a story, complete a writing task on 'my ideal classroom' and then my interview.
    Everything was actually easy and laid back. Everyone was really nice and the kids were so sweet!

I feel I impressed them (the headteacher has asked for me for placement - she did my interview and watched me with the kids so that was a great bonus) because I talked a lot about SEN (Special Education Needs) and they seemed to really like my ability to talk about different children having different levels of needs.

Id say also brush up on problems in primary ed right now. He asked me and I said funding, which was fine, but he said something about levels in primary schools so maybe do a bit of research into this and they'll love it - if they ask.

TOP TIP: own the room. I was actually late to my interview as I had to drive (2 hour drive but it snowed so it took 3 hours and I was 20 mins late) and as soon as I came in I introduced myself, apologised and acted really confident and friendly. When we were asked questions I made sure to answer confidently and look at at all the uni staff, not just one person, (like you would as a teacher in a school). Basically, even if you arent confident (I was literally sweating out of nervousness) you need to fake it well. They want to see your ability to be a presence in the room and they will consistently look at you for that

Thats all I can think of putting but ask away if you have any questions!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by IrishJim)
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for the Primary PGCE interview? I believe there is literacy and numeracy tests along with a group/presentation on a current educational topic.

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Each institution will have their own interview process, but usually there is an individual presentation, a group task/discussion, and an individual interview. The institution should have given you some guidance on what to expect and what they are looking for. There is sometimes a written task as well.

I would prepare as thoroughly as you can for the presentation- I think in a lot of cases, unis are looking at your presentation skills, rather than the content/topic. It's important to practice and look confident in what you want to say.

In the group tasks, I think it's good to contribute, but also allow others the chance to speak, listen as well as talk, and respond to the points others are making.

Are the literacy and numeracy tests in addition to the professional skills tests? Normally, institutions accept that passing these tests mean you have the skills required. The professional skills tests are not part of the interview, and need to be booked by you separately.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone share any insight on the group activites?
    interview this week

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.