http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42932616

Did the Turks do it again?

ReputationRep:
    Oh god that would be hilarious :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Oh god that would be hilarious :lol:
    It seems to be not the case.

Apparetly it was shot down from the ground, however I am quite unsure with what the rebels could have shot it down with.

They could have used Infrared missiles, but to my knowledge they don't have access to them. The only explanation would be that it was shot down by an RPG (which is super unlikely) or by an AA gun (although the SU25 is said to be a 'flying tank' and as a result is resistant to enenmy fire).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    It seems to be not the case.

Apparetly it was shot down from the ground, however I am quite unsure with what the rebels could have shot it down with.

They could have used Infrared missiles, but to my knowledge they don't have access to them. The only explanation would be that it was shot down by an RPG (which is super unlikely) or by an AA gun (although the SU25 is said to be a 'flying tank' and as a result is resistant to enenmy fire).
    I'll be willing to put money on Sputnik reporting this as an example of the Americans giving a MANPAD to the terrorists there :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)

The rebels certainly do have access to shoulder fired anti aircraft missiles. They've captured some from Syrian government stockpiles, and might have possibly smuggled some in from outside, but they probably don't have very many, so these aircraft shootdowns happen only occasionally.

These reports of rebels with MANPADS have been around since 2012, including photo and video evidence. There have been a few aircraft shot down over the course of the war with them, but like I said it's only an occasional occurrence.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was turks (or at least their proxies or pro-turkish groups) that do that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.