S1 probability venn diagrams(any answers appreciateD)

Watch
dont know it
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A patient going in to a doctor's waiting room reads Hiya magazine with a probability 0.6 and Dakor magazine with probability 0.4. The probability the patient reads either one or both of the magazines is 0.7. Find the probability the patient reads:
a)both magazines
b)Only Hiya
gcsemusicsucks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For part a), have you tried playing around with the addition rule using the information you know?
For part b), once you have part a), and you draw the venn diagram, the answer should become fairly obvious.
dont know it
Rep:
?
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
For part a), have you tried playing around with the addition rule using the information you know?
For part b), once you have part a), and you draw the venn diagram, the answer should become fairly obvious.
Not sure what you mean for part a. I started probability today and finding it pretty hard. If I were to add the probabilities of the books , 0.6+0.4=1. My main issue is I don't know what the 1 means in the sense it's not the probability that the person reads either one of the books and I don't know what it could mean.

I get the probability that neither books are read is 0.3 and that the total probability that the person reads Hiya is 0.6(so the probability that the person reads JUST Hiya or BOTH Hiya and Dakor). But from that I don't know how you use the addition rule.
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dont know it)
Not sure what you mean for part a. I started probability today and finding it pretty hard. If I were to add the probabilities of the books , 0.6+0.4=1. My main issue is I don't know what the 1 means in the sense it's not the probability that the person reads either one of the books and I don't know what it could mean.

I get the probability that neither books are read is 0.3 and that the total probability that the person reads Hiya is 0.6(so the probability that the person reads JUST Hiya or BOTH Hiya and Dakor). But from that I don't know how you use the addition rule.
You're right in the fact that 0.6+0.4=1 - that's always the case, as the total probabilities always add up to 1. The addition rule is something different, maybe you haven't come across it but you will soon and it's extremely helpful in answering these questions. The rule is:

the probability of either A or B = probability of A + probability of B - probability of A and B

You know P(either A or B)=0.7, P(A)=0.6 and P(B)=0.4, so just sub this into the equation and rearrange to get P(A and B), which is the probability of both magazines being read.
dont know it
Rep:
?
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
You're right in the fact that 0.6+0.4=1 - that's always the case, as the total probabilities always add up to 1. The addition rule is something different, maybe you haven't come across it but you will soon and it's extremely helpful in answering these questions. The rule is:

the probability of either A or B = probability of A + probability of B - probability of A and B

You know P(either A or B)=0.7, P(A)=0.6 and P(B)=0.4, so just sub this into the equation and rearrange to get P(A and B), which is the probability of both magazines being read.
Thanks for helping me greatly! Didn't know that but thanks to you I do now.
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dont know it)
Thanks for helping me greatly! Didn't know that but thanks to you I do now.
Your welcome, glad you found it helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (94)
11.42%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (85)
10.33%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.64%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.86%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.94%
Financial worries (57)
6.93%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (38)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.04%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (80)
9.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed