Turn on thread page Beta

I am a first year medical student. Ask me anything! watch

ReputationRep:
    It’s that time of the year again! Interviews are in the air, and I’m getting 50 PMs a day, so let’s just get those questions out in the open and go through them

ReputationRep:
    Which uni?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie-3)
    It’s that time of the year again! Interviews are in the air, and I’m getting 50 PMs a day, so let’s just get those questions out in the open and go through them
    Any tips for first year?

ReputationRep:
    Any tips for interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are GCSE'S important for Medicine as I got 4A's and 4B's- do I still have a chance?

ReputationRep:
    What were ur gcse , ukcat, bmat, predicted grades and which unis did u apply to ?

ReputationRep:
    where did u apply and where did u get offers?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How many PMs are you actually getting per day though? Given that aside from this post you haven't been active since 2017?

ReputationRep:
    What is meant by:
    Medial and Lateral ?

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to answer any questions?
    Any tips on interview? How competitive are they? How well do you need to do overall?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nexttime)
    How many PMs are you actually getting per day though? Given that aside from this post you haven't been active since 2017?
    LOL

Pics or it didn't happen

To everyone else, me and plenty of others are happy to answer questions re: medicine admissions. There are plenty of medical students and doctors on this forum. Feel free to ask us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Pics or it didn't happen
    :rofl:

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)

To everyone else, me and plenty of others are happy to answer questions re: medicine admissions. There are plenty of medical students and doctors on this forum. Feel free to ask us.
    Hi thanks, do i still have a chance at medicine with 4A's and 4B's at GCSE, and predicted A*A*A at A-level, wanting to apply to cambridge, Imperial, barts and Brighton- thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by COYS...TTID)
    Which uni?
    Queen’s University Belfast

(Original post by bonnie_x)
    Any tips for first year?
    You can spend your summer one of two ways. You can start prepping or you can enjoy it to the max. If you can get access to study guides for the modules (maybe you know someone at the same med school?) then start lightly reading around what you know will come up. Especially with Anatomy. Then again, why not relax when you’ve got the chance? You’ll have to stress about all that work anyways once school starts!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Any tips for interviews? Research your uni. The best resource you have is their website and past year’s’ stalking threads. You won’t find our exactly what questions will come up but you’ll get a flavour for what they aren’t like. For example, QUB aid big on roleplay. Get comfortable with that, act in front of a mirror, practice with others. Go onto google and make a list of typical interview questions. Like “why Medicine, why not nursing, why here, etc.” Make brief points for these questions so that if they came up, they don’t stump you. Trust me, the interviewers have heard every answer in the book for this. They don’t want to know your answer, they want to know that you’ve thought of these things and that you have an answer ready. I got stumped by something as simple as “why teamwork is important” and I’m still beating myself up for it. At another uni, I didn’t answer as well as I could “why x uni?” You’re very very likely to get these questions. Dont come across as lazy by not having questions. Another thing is that the level of prep isn’t a fine balance. You wanna rehearse answers enough that they roll off your tongue with confidence. But don’t rehearse them so much that it look at like you chant them before you sleep every night. They want sincerity and too much rehearsal can cheapen the effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine...)
    Hi thanks, do i still have a chance at medicine with 4A's and 4B's at GCSE, and predicted A*A*A at A-level, wanting to apply to cambridge, Imperial, barts and Brighton- thank you x
    some unis are GCSE heavy, others are not. different unis place emphasis on different things. honestly, i think those grades are a bit low for cambridge and london. I recommend you look at universities that place more emphasis on predicted grades because yours are fantastic, as well as UKCAT and personal statement if these are your strengths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Are you going to answer any questions?
    Any tips on interview? How competitive are they? How well do you need to do overall?
    Nope, don't plan on answering any questions in this AMA :P

i have done a "tips" answer already. how competitive are who? medical schools? my medical school? any medical school will be competitive, without a doubt. i dont really understand what you mean by overall. there are core things that make up your application: PS, UKCAT/BMAT, GCSEs, (predicted) a levels and interview performance. the more of these you do well, the greater your chance of getting in. but this is all fairly obvious, so if you clarify your question, i'll take another stab at it?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, don't plan on answering any questions in this AMA :P

i have done a "tips" answer already. how competitive are who? medical schools? my medical school? any medical school will be competitive, without a doubt. i dont really understand what you mean by overall. there are core things that make up your application: PS, UKCAT/BMAT, GCSEs, (predicted) a levels and interview performance. the more of these you do well, the greater your chance of getting in. but this is all fairly obvious, so if you clarify your question, i'll take another stab at it?
    From your personal experience of your application and other friends how likely were they to get an offer after interview, in general, not specific to any medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AB710344)
    What is meant by:
    Medial and Lateral ?
    imagine a line running down the middle of your body, splitting it into left and right (sagittal plane). these terms are relative, so you must be comparing x to y when saying if it is lateral or medial. if x is closer to this midline than y, then x is medial. if it is further from this line, it is lateral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoshelvey21)
    where did u apply and where did u get offers?
    i applied to liverpool, belfast, plymouth and east anglia. got offers from first two, post-interview rejection and pre-interview rejection form last 2 respectively.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.