Want more information about this university?
Woody_123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am unsure whether to go with a basic standard accommodation in Bowland, that's catered (grim but with food), or whether to go with superior standard (with a lounge area) in County College that's self-catered.(nice but no food)

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Bowland/County or self/catered

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Potterhead999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Woody_123)
I am unsure whether to go with a basic standard accommodation in Bowland, that's catered (grim but with food), or whether to go with superior standard (with a lounge area) in County College that's self-catered.(nice but no food)

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Bowland/County or self/catered

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Hi I'm also applying this year do you know when we can apply for accommodation I've had nothing through yet?

Personally, i would pick the self-catered option just because it can help to become more independent + it means you can choose to go out to a cafe etc or a restaurant if you don't want to cook one night - you have more variety whilst catered you don't get to pick what you eat. That's just my personal preference though. What course have you applied for?
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Potterhead999)
Hi I'm also applying this year do you know when we can apply for accommodation I've had nothing through yet?

Personally, i would pick the self-catered option just because it can help to become more independent + it means you can choose to go out to a cafe etc or a restaurant if you don't want to cook one night - you have more variety whilst catered you don't get to pick what you eat. That's just my personal preference though. What course have you applied for?
Same situation. Iirc all of that will be available to us (applying and whatnot) around June.
hornerious12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the accomodation applications open in june. i am also going there next year, cant wait.
Sherwin Robinson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends on the course really. I am self-catered and in County College. Can't say much about Bowland, but it's located around Alexandra Square (one of the hubs of the uni), and its slightly closer than County College for most of my lectures. County College is the biggest college in the University, but its not the most active socially (County bar is one of the dullest on campus for activity). Since County is at the very North end of campus, its fairly quiet, as compared to Bowland.

I would recommend self-catered (although I have a biased view on this) as it gives me more freedom in regards to what and when you want to cook; its kind of enjoyable when you try to cook something different and it works. Disadvantages of being self-catered are that you have to go out to buy food (or pay the hefty prices of the 2 grocery stores on campus), having to wash up (although you get used to this after a while), and the fact that your diet probably won't be as balanced as if you were catered.

In County there are 2 restaurants: The Marketplace (where you'll eat for breakfast and dinner if you go catered) which serves pleasant, simple food, and The Lounge (fancy restaurant which I've never actually seen students inside). What people say about going out to eat if 'you don't want to cook one night' isn't really true, as it depends on whether you want to pay the restaurant prices.
Woody_123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Cheers this is really helpful, few months late on the reply sorry, ngl I forgot I posted this but I am glad I did ahaha. Appreciate the advice, reckon I will go with self-catered and standard but too sure on the college yet, anyone know when the deadline is?
Sycaphore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Woody_123)
Cheers this is really helpful, few months late on the reply sorry, ngl I forgot I posted this but I am glad I did ahaha. Appreciate the advice, reckon I will go with self-catered and standard but too sure on the college yet, anyone know when the deadline is?
The accommodation deadline is in August (as per a reply to the exact same query on the answers thread by the uni rep). Good luck with exams... and getting in!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (51)
19.47%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (58)
22.14%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (50)
19.08%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (55)
20.99%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (24)
9.16%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
9.16%

Watched Threads