Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am unsure whether to go with a basic standard accommodation in Bowland, that's catered (grim but with food), or whether to go with superior standard (with a lounge area) in County College that's self-catered.(nice but no food)

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Bowland/County or self/catered

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody_123)
    I am unsure whether to go with a basic standard accommodation in Bowland, that's catered (grim but with food), or whether to go with superior standard (with a lounge area) in County College that's self-catered.(nice but no food)

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Bowland/County or self/catered

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Hi I'm also applying this year do you know when we can apply for accommodation I've had nothing through yet?

Personally, i would pick the self-catered option just because it can help to become more independent + it means you can choose to go out to a cafe etc or a restaurant if you don't want to cook one night - you have more variety whilst catered you don't get to pick what you eat. That's just my personal preference though. What course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potterhead999)
    Hi I'm also applying this year do you know when we can apply for accommodation I've had nothing through yet?

Personally, i would pick the self-catered option just because it can help to become more independent + it means you can choose to go out to a cafe etc or a restaurant if you don't want to cook one night - you have more variety whilst catered you don't get to pick what you eat. That's just my personal preference though. What course have you applied for?
    Same situation. Iirc all of that will be available to us (applying and whatnot) around June.

ReputationRep:
    the accomodation applications open in june. i am also going there next year, cant wait.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the course really. I am self-catered and in County College. Can't say much about Bowland, but it's located around Alexandra Square (one of the hubs of the uni), and its slightly closer than County College for most of my lectures. County College is the biggest college in the University, but its not the most active socially (County bar is one of the dullest on campus for activity). Since County is at the very North end of campus, its fairly quiet, as compared to Bowland.

I would recommend self-catered (although I have a biased view on this) as it gives me more freedom in regards to what and when you want to cook; its kind of enjoyable when you try to cook something different and it works. Disadvantages of being self-catered are that you have to go out to buy food (or pay the hefty prices of the 2 grocery stores on campus), having to wash up (although you get used to this after a while), and the fact that your diet probably won't be as balanced as if you were catered.

In County there are 2 restaurants: The Marketplace (where you'll eat for breakfast and dinner if you go catered) which serves pleasant, simple food, and The Lounge (fancy restaurant which I've never actually seen students inside). What people say about going out to eat if 'you don't want to cook one night' isn't really true, as it depends on whether you want to pay the restaurant prices.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.