Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So this year I've been living with my best friend from secondary school (M), her coursemate (K) and their housemate (Z) and neighbour (N) from last year, making us a house of 5. We're only halfway through our tenancy and most of them are driving me mad, and I don't know what to do. Heads up, this is probably going to be a bit rant-y.

We have two bedrooms downstairs and three upstairs; N and I have the downstairs rooms, and Z, M and K have the upstairs ones. I cannot count the number of times I have been woken up/disturbed by the arrival of guests/loud music/sex noises/TV/etc., and people stomping up and down the stairs. While I understand this is all part and parcel of living in a shared house, I have spoken to them all on numerous occasions asking them to try to keep the noise down after ~11PM, only to be ignored. Just last week I got woken up at 3AM and 6AM by someone slamming the living room door, but a few days later M shouted at me for accidentally letting the door slam at 3PM because K was upstairs having a nap. :confused:

Another problem is chores. Dishes are left unwashed for days, baccy and raw food are left all over the kitchen surfaces and the bathroom is an absolute state (I've had to clean blood off the toilet walls before :yucky:). I suggested using chore spinners every two weeks to maintain some level of hygiene, but only N and I actually adhere to them. I've tried the 'leaving mess until whoever's responsible cleans it approach', but I can only use a scum-stained shower or food-encrusted sink so many times before I cave and clean it myself.

N and I have discussed all this between us two (since we are the ones directly in the line of fire, so to speak) and tried to talk to the others on several occasions about the noise and dirt, only for it to fall on deaf ears every time. The noise problem is ruining my sleeping pattern and the dirtiness of the house means I can't stand being anywhere that isn't my room. I can feel an air of b*tchiness starting to develop and the rest of the house distancing themselves from me, and I want to try to stop this before it gets out of control. It's starting to take a toll on my mental health and second term hasn't even started yet. My question to TSR is this: what do I do?!

TLDR: housemates don't respect me nor the house we live in and I can't cope. Help pls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So this year I've been living with my best friend from secondary school (M), her coursemate (K) and their housemate (Z) and neighbour (N) from last year, making us a house of 5. We're only halfway through our tenancy and most of them are driving me mad, and I don't know what to do. Heads up, this is probably going to be a bit rant-y.

We have two bedrooms downstairs and three upstairs; N and I have the downstairs rooms, and Z, M and K have the upstairs ones. I cannot count the number of times I have been woken up/disturbed by the arrival of guests/loud music/sex noises/TV/etc., and people stomping up and down the stairs. While I understand this is all part and parcel of living in a shared house, I have spoken to them all on numerous occasions asking them to try to keep the noise down after ~11PM, only to be ignored. Just last week I got woken up at 3AM and 6AM by someone slamming the living room door, but a few days later M shouted at me for accidentally letting the door slam at 3PM because K was upstairs having a nap. :confused:

Another problem is chores. Dishes are left unwashed for days, baccy and raw food are left all over the kitchen surfaces and the bathroom is an absolute state (I've had to clean blood off the toilet walls before :yucky:). I suggested using chore spinners every two weeks to maintain some level of hygiene, but only N and I actually adhere to them. I've tried the 'leaving mess until whoever's responsible cleans it approach', but I can only use a scum-stained shower or food-encrusted sink so many times before I cave and clean it myself.

N and I have discussed all this between us two (since we are the ones directly in the line of fire, so to speak) and tried to talk to the others on several occasions about the noise and dirt, only for it to fall on deaf ears every time. The noise problem is ruining my sleeping pattern and the dirtiness of the house means I can't stand being anywhere that isn't my room. I can feel an air of b*tchiness starting to develop and the rest of the house distancing themselves from me, and I want to try to stop this before it gets out of control. It's starting to take a toll on my mental health and second term hasn't even started yet. My question to TSR is this: what do I do?!

TLDR: housemates don't respect me nor the house we live in and I can't cope. Help pls.
    spend as little time in that house, eat ur food- don't wash up, study in the library, id shower in the gym, ****-don't flush see how they like it haha. just be a **** back

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.