The Student Room Group

How to deal with being alone in class

So in one of my classes, I only know one person, but they're leaving, so I'm worried about being alone. The class is pretty small, so we're sat pretty spread out, so I'm not near anyone else.

I'm quite socially awkward, so I'm looking for tips on making friends in this class, or just tips on how to deal with being alone!

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
So in one of my classes, I only know one person, but they're leaving, so I'm worried about being alone. The class is pretty small, so we're sat pretty spread out, so I'm not near anyone else.

I'm quite socially awkward, so I'm looking for tips on making friends in this class, or just tips on how to deal with being alone!

Thanks!

Hi! I had the same issue at school! Except, I was alone in almost ALL of my classes! What helped me was just putting my head down and focusing on the work I was doing because I wanted good grades. But even if you're a little socially awkward you could still try communicating with others by asking if they understand the work, or ask if they could help you when you get stuck, or ask to sit with someone and say "oh (person's name) has left! Do you mind if I sit with you?" then proceed to talk about the topics in class! It's really not that bad being alone. I think being socially awkward makes you think things are worse than they seem, I know I was the same! If you don't want to try talking to others in your class then just think, oh well, I'm alone for a little while, it won't last forever, I'll just get on with my work! No big deal! Think of it this way... not having that person there will probably help you be less distracted which will benefit you!
Reply 2
i can't help you I'm the same way
Join some clubs or organizations to feel that sense of belonging. When you connect with others in the form of a group, you'll be able to make friends and share common interests with your peers easily. You could also look into study groups and integrate your studies with spending time around others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending