Turn on thread page Beta

M464 - Turkey Condemnation Motion watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

M464 - Turkey Condemnation Motion, Saunders16
    This House believes that Turkey’s offensive in Syria’s northern region, occupied by the Kurdish people and defended by the Syrian Democratic Forces, is a reprehensible attack on one of our key allies in the Middle East and that the government should immediately take action to defend them from Turkish aggression.

President Erdogan claims that the People’s Protection Units (the primary component of the Syrian Democratic Forces) has links to the banned Kurdistan Workers’ Party. However, this accusation has been denied by the People’s Protection Units and, most importantly, the United States, who they received the backing of during the successful Battle of Raqqa last year.

Noting that the Kurdish people have been pivotal in the War on Terror and that Turkey’s pretence for military action holds no legitimacy, this House calls on the government to send the British Peace Corps to northern Syria to assist the thousands of individuals who have been forced to flee. Furthermore, this House calls on the government to take diplomatic action against Turkey and calls on this country’s allies to do the same. Finally, this House calls on the government to provide military backing and assistance to the Kurdish people if Turkey do not stop their offensive.

Sources:
    Why Turkey’s battle for northern Syria matters
    Thousands flee Turkish assault on Afrin enclave

ReputationRep:
    why does the west keep putting its d.ick in the deep dark middle eastern hole?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So another invasion? What is it with this house and invading other countries at the moment while insisting that we cannot possibly denounce human rights abuses because that would be undue intervention?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    While I am not against sending British Peace Corps volunteers to the region, it is becoming increasingly clear that this situation is an incredibly precarious one in which further Western intervention may only further complicate things. Thus, the idea of directly providing military support against a NATO ally nonetheless, is ridiculous, with diplomatic methods being mere virtue signalling in this case.

Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I think we'd be stepping into bad waters if we were to intervene and I don't think it's smart to play with a NATO ally by supporting those forces against Turkey militarily.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I only believe in interfering if the main purpose is humanitarian efforts in the region.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    However much I take the side of the Kurds, it's a tad difficult to call for military intervention against another NATO member.

ReputationRep:
    Tough one. I believe Turkey need to be condemned, and I think sending in the Peace Corps to protect civillians in the area would not be an awful idea, however to call for military action against a NATO member is too strong. Abstain

ReputationRep:
    Aye however I don't trust the OP or his parties commitment to military resolve.

ReputationRep:
    aye

ReputationRep:
    I could only support this if the reference to military action were to be removed. That is a severe step which we cannot realistically assess on a hypothetical basis.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    A NATO country providing military assistance to the side fighting another NATO country? Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Nay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Middle East is a messy old affair when it comes to foreign policy. I can see it being reshaped a lot over the next one hundred years. I believe that Britain (and other foreign powers) played a significant part in causing the mess and I think it would be foolish for us to pretend that we're good at cleaning things up.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Turkey does need to be condemned for their actions but to call action against a NATO member is too risky. I’ll abstain.

ReputationRep:
    ”Finally, this House calls on the government to provide military backing and assistance to the Kurdish people if Turkey do not stop their offensive.”

Remove this and tone done the harsh wording and it’s an aye. Turkey needs to be condemned but as an ally it needs to be done in a more subtle way.

ReputationRep:
    Look at Turkey, a country with better, more advanced military equipment that revise aggressive methods on a very small city in Syria, Afrin. Turkey know they aren't too advanced in the wider world, so with the current resources and technology they use it on the little, more vulnerable places. What a joke.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As many other members of this House have already said, I can support this motion up until the point where it calls upon the government to "provide military backing and assistance to the Kurdish people." I shall be abstaining on this motion in its current form.

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny that the tories and liberals are opposing this because Turkey are our allies, last time they were in government together they were supporting a coup in the country

ReputationRep:
    Nay, however much I sympathise with the Kurds we will only **** things up for them more by intervening militarily. We also really could do without being actively engaged in military conflict against a fellow member of NATO.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sending peace corps to help the Kurds with purely humanitarian intentions – aye, I couldn't not support this.

"provide military backing and assistance to the Kurdish people." – getting directly involved, militarily, against another NATO member? (Not that I support NATO or Turkey), coupled with all the **** that there already is in the middle east region? Even invading Russia in the winter would, comparatively, be a better idea. (!)

Unfortunately, as much as I support the kurds and think we should try to help them like we should try to help any people who need it, in a peaceful, humanitarian way, call me a pacifist, but, I can't support any kind of military intervention in such a way, especially as it could negatively impact both the people we were initially trying to help in the first place, and seriously **** up foreign relations, the former of which is counterproductive, and the latter of which could be detrimental to UK politics on a global scale, which would in turn negatively impact British Citizens on a national scale.

tl;dr: Nay.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.