Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have a mental health problem? watch

Announcements

So I’ve had a few panic attacks here and there, in year 9 I had 2. In November I had my year 11 mocks, and during my last exam I nearly had a panic attack. It was in a hall of the 300 people in our year. I was sat right at the front. All of a sudden about half way through I had a huge wave of panic and I was looking at my surroundings and trying to find a way out, I couldn’t put my hand up to ask the invigilator to leave as I was terrified of being stared at by everyone. I was looking for a way to escape and was staring at the exit door for about 45 minutes of the 1 hour 30 mind exam. I overall got a 4 in the mock because I could not concentrate. I’m suddenly starting to get more and more anxious everyday again. I’m not close to any of my teachers to speak about this and I’m so scared of talking to anyone about it because I’m so shy, however I put upfront like I’m the most confident person ever, I look so confident from the outside but I’m really not. I’ve got another set of mocks in less than a month, what should I do? I’m terrified of having a panic attack in the exam hall and my whole year thinking of me as a freak and weirdo!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I’ve had a few panic attacks here and there, in year 9 I had 2. In November I had my year 11 mocks, and during my last exam I nearly had a panic attack. It was in a hall of the 300 people in our year. I was sat right at the front. All of a sudden about half way through I had a huge wave of panic and I was looking at my surroundings and trying to find a way out, I couldn’t put my hand up to ask the invigilator to leave as I was terrified of being stared at by everyone. I was looking for a way to escape and was staring at the exit door for about 45 minutes of the 1 hour 30 mind exam. I overall got a 4 in the mock because I could not concentrate. I’m suddenly starting to get more and more anxious everyday again. I’m not close to any of my teachers to speak about this and I’m so scared of talking to anyone about it because I’m so shy, however I put upfront like I’m the most confident person ever, I look so confident from the outside but I’m really not. I’ve got another set of mocks in less than a month, what should I do? I’m terrified of having a panic attack in the exam hall and my whole year thinking of me as a freak and weirdo!!
    We can't really say whether you have a mental health problem or not, but if your anxiety is causing you to really struggle at school then it's a good idea to see your GP about this and they can talk through this with you. You could talk to someone at school, but you've said you don't feel confident about doing so and that's okay. Talking to your GP could be really beneficial though

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    We can't really say whether you have a mental health problem or not, but if your anxiety is causing you to really struggle at school then it's a good idea to see your GP about this and they can talk through this with you. You could talk to someone at school, but you've said you don't feel confident about doing so and that's okay. Talking to your GP could be really beneficial though
    Thankyou for your reply. I guess I could, but I’ve not told my mum ever about any of my panic attacks or feeling anxious or my huge argument with my bestfriend. I just kinda feel alone when I’m down, so if I can’t even speak to my own mum about it there’s no chance of me being able to speak to my GP as my friend went there recently for mental health and she said they were so rude. She said the school are really good for it but I hate having awkward conversations with teachers. I go so red in the face and all my words jumble, yet when I’m with my friends I’m laughing and talking really loud with not a care in the world. I’m so scared for my mocks and terrified if I have a panic attack in my actual GCSEs as I could muck up my grade for real- I had a semi panic attack in my Spanish speaking and nearly went into full panic mode- it was horrible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.