Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My sister told me that getting a job in every field of psychology is hard. And that, i will be in so much debt for nothing if i take psychology. Because, i want a good paying job to help my mum and so nursing isn't what i want do anymore. Is it hard to get a job as a clinical psychology?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In itself it's not hard, but to get onto the DclinPsych (to make a you a registered clinical psychologist) is very tough and requires very good undergrad grades, potentially a great masters and at least 2 years of relevant experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    In itself it's not hard, but to get onto the DclinPsych (to make a you a registered clinical psychologist) is very tough and requires very good undergrad grades, potentially a great masters and at least 2 years of relevant experience
    oh right okay
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jheinexx)
    oh right okay
    But it is doable! If that's your dream I wouldn't give up at this stage

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT give up because it is hard. Ignore what you read on these boards. If you love something enough and are passionate and persistent, the jobs and money will find you. I don't know how many times someone told me my chances on something were tiny and I ended up proving them wrong through pure grit. I think the people that plow through regardless of the negative messages they hear about succeeding in this field are the people that end up making it.

As Sherlock Holmes likes to say, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

AKA. Your dreams are possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubial)
    DO NOT give up because it is hard. Ignore what you read on these boards. If you love something enough and are passionate and persistent, the jobs and money will find you. I don't know how many times someone told me my chances on something were tiny and I ended up proving them wrong through pure grit. I think the people that plow through regardless of the negative messages they hear about succeeding in this field are the people that end up making it.

As Sherlock Holmes likes to say, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

AKA. Your dreams are possible.
    While I do think that someone should always work hard and believe that they can work towards their dream career, I think what you said about ignoring the posts on the forum is stupid.

If you are going into a field that is very very competitive you should at least make a back up plan just in case it doesnt work out as not everyone wanting to get into it will as there just isnt enough places. It's not me being negative etc (I 100% think you should put your all into chasing that dream career you want) its just being sensible, because for every success story I imagine there are 5+ people working in a dead end role because it didnt work out for them but they didnt have a back up plan in case it didnt work out.

Advice to OP

1. If it is something you really want then go for it, put your all in and do everything you can to maximise your chances of success
    2. look at back up careers just in case as then if it doesnt work out (or you change your mind etc etc) then you have something you can fall back on instead of falling into the spiral of not getting a grad type role at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    While I do think that someone should always work hard and believe that they can work towards their dream career, I think what you said about ignoring the posts on the forum is stupid.

If you are going into a field that is very very competitive you should at least make a back up plan just in case it doesnt work out as not everyone wanting to get into it will as there just isnt enough places. It's not me being negative etc (I 100% think you should put your all into chasing that dream career you want) its just being sensible, because for every success story I imagine there are 5+ people working in a dead end role because it didnt work out for them but they didnt have a back up plan in case it didnt work out.

Advice to OP

1. If it is something you really want then go for it, put your all in and do everything you can to maximise your chances of success
    2. look at back up careers just in case as then if it doesnt work out (or you change your mind etc etc) then you have something you can fall back on instead of falling into the spiral of not getting a grad type role at all
    You're putting words in my mouth. The original poster said that "getting a job in any field of psychology is hard and it might be a waste of money", which I find untrue. Clinical Psychology? Probably a little harder getting a job. Psychology in general? Nope. Do you know how many companies hire Psychologists for Organizational and People change roles? Cause mine hires TONS and they make a good penny.

There are many things you can do with this degree. People here make it seem like you shouldn't even study the subject period. So yes, I disagree with this advice.

ReputationRep:
    Idk if you understand but Job prospects for clinical psychology are like 98% (100% in my univeristy) meaning that 98% will get a job within the first 6 months. To be a clinical psychologist you need to do the doctorate course which is paid by the nhs and therefore you get to work with them straighy away. In fact, since year 1 of the doctorate course you start working as a trainee clinical psych and get paid lectures aswell. Don't tell people lies if you dont know what you're talking about. So:Getting a job as a clinical psych? Very easy Psychology in general? : almost impossible, to practice psychology you NEED further study.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.