Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i heard that in university,relationships with med student dont work out, is it true? do med students not have a social life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreya kc)
    i heard that in university,relationships with med student dont work out, is it true? do med students not have a social life?
    Do they? I dont know. Lol jokes aside i seriously don't know. I am sure they do, maybe.

No its forbidden.

ReputationRep:
    Haha of course they do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    No its forbidden.
    really!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they do, med students are very serious about their goals and don't **** around(Like me I guess)

(Original post by ax12)
    Haha of course they do
    Yup. It's sad.

ReputationRep:
    Considering what the med students at my university get up to, the 'having no social life' thing is nonsense. Also, are you a med student? Or somebody aiming to one day date a med student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Considering what the med students at my university get up to, the 'having no social life' thing is nonsense. Also, are you a med student? Or somebody aiming to one day date a med student?
    i want to study medicine and i was just wondering if ill have friends or a social life. i know ill be studying alot but is that really it? just studying and sleeping and eating? it makes me not want to study medicine

ReputationRep:
    i want to study medicine and i was just wondering if ill have friends or a social life. i know ill be studying alot but is that really it? just studying and sleeping and eating? it makes me not want to study medicine
    That is what your first few years as a doctor may be like But as a medical student it won't be (and shouldn't be). It will only be like that if you can't manage your time/actively choose to live like that. Medical students are typically a very social bunch, both socially and academically. Maybe not with non-med students but certainly with other med students.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend sh*tting where you eat.

Dating is fine but do it outside your med school.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What's this? Ofc any medical student can date anyone. It's a lot harder once you're a junior doctor so date while you can!

*tbh even as a JD you can still date, just much, much less free time than a medical student. But then you will end up meeting lots, lots more different people working. And you will be paid!

ReputationRep:
    As a first year medical student, I can say with full confidence, that you will most certainly have a social life. Yes, you will be studying a lot, and you will be drowning in stress, but so will everyone else. The only advice I can give on terms of relationships is to avoid getting in a relationship with someone in your year (or at least in your study group) since you'll be with them 5 years, so it's going to be awkward if things went wrong. Everyone's in the same boat, odds are you might end up an alcoholic with all the nights out . In all seriousness though, enjoy your first few years!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Work hard, play hard.

In all seriousness, medics are encouraged to have a life outside of medicine. Its healthy. It is really easy to get completely wrapped up in medicine, sometimes to an unhealthy degree. You need to have friends/relationships/hobbies to help cope with the stress.

ReputationRep:
    Its early days, but in my medic cohort there's at least 3 couples I know of.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have way more free time than you think, i can only speak for first year but the difference between the workload of Med and other degrees is greatly exaggerated in my opinion.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.