Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm having a tough time figuring out if I want to do psychology at uni or not. I enjoy the subject (I do it at A-Level) but I'm not sure how likely I'll get a good job from doing a degree since so many people do it
    Does anyone have any advice? I'm aiming to go for a uni like Uni of Birmingham or Aston Uni but if anyone here studies psychology could they let me know what its like

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my third year. In general I have really enjoyed the course and I've found it interesting. I haven't started applying for jobs yet but the degree gives you many transferable skills and graduates have gone into areas like Human Resources, Marketing, Policing etc. If you are interested in going into the clinical field, you will have to do a postgraduate degree (there are many interesting Psychology related ones available).

This website is useful: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ree/psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireturtle)
    Hey I'm having a tough time figuring out if I want to do psychology at uni or not. I enjoy the subject (I do it at A-Level) but I'm not sure how likely I'll get a good job from doing a degree since so many people do it
    Does anyone have any advice? I'm aiming to go for a uni like Uni of Birmingham or Aston Uni but if anyone here studies psychology could they let me know what its like
    Hey!

The real question here is do you want a job in psychology? It's true that psychology is a competitive field, but that doesn't make it impossible to get a job in it. If you truly enjoy studying psychology, and want to practice it as a job, then go for the degree. If not, then choose a different course. The hard part is choosing something else to do if you don't do the psychology course.

On a side note, I wouldn't recommend Aston as a Uni, since the admin is awful. UoB is good though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James255)
    I'm in my third year. In general I have really enjoyed the course and I've found it interesting. I haven't started applying for jobs yet but the degree gives you many transferable skills and graduates have gone into areas like Human Resources, Marketing, Policing etc. If you are interested in going into the clinical field, you will have to do a postgraduate degree (there are many interesting Psychology related ones available).

Thanks! I'll have a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJBrown50)
    Hey!

The real question here is do you want a job in psychology? It's true that psychology is a competitive field, but that doesn't make it impossible to get a job in it. If you truly enjoy studying psychology, and want to practice it as a job, then go for the degree. If not, then choose a different course. The hard part is choosing something else to do if you don't do the psychology course.

On a side note, I wouldn't recommend Aston as a Uni, since the admin is awful. UoB is good though.
    Yeah the idea of having a job in psychology is what I'm trying to decide.. I do enjoy it so it makes sense to follow it forward. Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James255)

Also I was wondering, what uni do you go to?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fireturtle)

Major employers of psychology graduates include:
    • commercial and industrial companies
    • financial organisations
    • human resources departments
    • local and national government
    • marketing companies
    • the media
    • the National Health Service
    • police forces, the National Probation Service and prisons
    • schools, sixth form colleges and colleges of further education
    • social services.

Jobs directly related to your degree include:

Jobs where your degree would be useful include:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ree/psychology

A psychology degree is often the foundation into further education and highly paid work will often require a PhD. Support worker roles sometimes prefer a Masters. However, as someone else has previously said, it can be transferable. There are data analyst jobs that accept psychology graduates because you learn how to manage statistics and interpret data.

A lot of people study psychology but not everyone goes on to study further and as it's transferable, everyone will spread out into different roles. Everyone on my course have completely different career ambitions.

I'm not entirely sure of what I want to do but Psychology was the only degree I was ever interested in studying so it made sense to do it and see where it takes me. There's also a rising demand for psychologists over the next several years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.