Turn on thread page Beta

Product design coursework- speaker questionnaire(user testing) watch

ReputationRep:
    VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Hi all,

For our controlled assessment, we have to make a product( I did a speaker). There's a user testing section included in this and I thought the best way was to design a questionnaire to get some feedback. I would very much appreciate some people taking time to answer these questions as it would be very helpful especially when I have to modify and improve my product. Feel free to leave any other comments below especially improvements that could be made. One of the main features of my speakers are the sound reactive lights. Let me know what you think of this in Q6. Basically lights that 'blink to the beat' kinda like a disco. Pictures of my speakers are attached. Here are the questions:

1) What are your two favourite colours generally?
    2)How much would you pay for this product?
    3) Do you own any speakers? What did you like/dislike?
    4) How long would you expect this product to last for?
    5) What would you like this product to do better/improvements?
    6) What do you think of the sound reactive lights?
    7) Would you be able to carry this product easily?
    8) Would you generally buy a cheaper, less attractive product or a more expensive, more attractive product?

ReputationRep:
    Here are the images
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Here's another of the sound reactive LEDs in action when I played some music
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Blue and red - not because they're my favourite colours but because I think they might work well for the LEDs (if that's why you're asking about colours). It would be nice to choose to have blue lights for slow/mellow music, and red for loud/energetic music. However if you're asking about colours for the body of the speaker, I think a contrast of grey with touches of a bright colour (such as yellow) would look nice.

Depending on the sound and build quality, somewhere between £40-80.

I don't own any, but I know that I wouldn't like a tinny sound, and I like speakers to be compact and portable. In terms of the design, I like quite a simple/neutral look, but that's just personal preference.

2-3 years.

I think I'd have to try out the product to properly answer this, but the only improvement I'd suggest would be the colour scheme - either to make it more neutral or have a range of possible colours available if it were to be sold (but of course this depends on your target market).

I think it's a brilliant concept especially if you've managed to make them actually pulse with the beat of the music. It will certainly appeal to regular party-goers and young people, but may be less appealing to those who just want to use the speaker for themselves at home. Perhaps there could be an option to switch on the lights just for when they're wanted rather than having them on constantly whenever the speaker is on.

In terms of its size, yes I would be able to take it around with me, but to actually carry it might be somewhat uncomfortable because of the boxy shape. Ergonomics/anthropometrics could be used to make the speaker into a more comfortable cylinder shape, maybe even with finger grooves/indents that allow better grip (you could do some product analysis of Ultimate Ears Boom speakers for their shape and portability). Another option could be to include a fold away handle.

8) Would you generally buy a cheaper, less attractive product or a more expensive, more attractive product?
    It would depend on the quality and longevity, so I wouldn't buy a cheaper product if it was going to break after little use. I also wouldn't pay extra for a better looking product if it did what the cheaper version does just as well.

Other comments:
    In your product development you could test out making the speaker body out of wood as it's a good material for enhancing sound and has good aesthetic/sustainable/longevity advantages. Of course it would be quite difficult to make it out of wood so the final product may come back to being made out of acrylic, but wood could be interesting to explore as a development option.

I assume you're doing A-Level Product Design? What exam board do you do? I do Edexcel and I'm designing a folding-bicycle storage unit for my A2 coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanzhol)
    Blue and red - not because they're my favourite colours but because I think they might work well for the LEDs (if that's why you're asking about colours). It would be nice to choose to have blue lights for slow/mellow music, and red for loud/energetic music. However if you're asking about colours for the body of the speaker, I think a contrast of grey with touches of a bright colour (such as yellow) would look nice.

Depending on the sound and build quality, somewhere between £40-80.

I don't own any, but I know that I wouldn't like a tinny sound, and I like speakers to be compact and portable. In terms of the design, I like quite a simple/neutral look, but that's just personal preference.

2-3 years.

I think I'd have to try out the product to properly answer this, but the only improvement I'd suggest would be the colour scheme - either to make it more neutral or have a range of possible colours available if it were to be sold (but of course this depends on your target market).

I think it's a brilliant concept especially if you've managed to make them actually pulse with the beat of the music. It will certainly appeal to regular party-goers and young people, but may be less appealing to those who just want to use the speaker for themselves at home. Perhaps there could be an option to switch on the lights just for when they're wanted rather than having them on constantly whenever the speaker is on.

In terms of its size, yes I would be able to take it around with me, but to actually carry it might be somewhat uncomfortable because of the boxy shape. Ergonomics/anthropometrics could be used to make the speaker into a more comfortable cylinder shape, maybe even with finger grooves/indents that allow better grip (you could do some product analysis of Ultimate Ears Boom speakers for their shape and portability). Another option could be to include a fold away handle.

It would depend on the quality and longevity, so I wouldn't buy a cheaper product if it was going to break after little use. I also wouldn't pay extra for a better looking product if it did what the cheaper version does just as well.

Other comments:
    In your product development you could test out making the speaker body out of wood as it's a good material for enhancing sound and has good aesthetic/sustainable/longevity advantages. Of course it would be quite difficult to make it out of wood so the final product may come back to being made out of acrylic, but wood could be interesting to explore as a development option.

I assume you're doing A-Level Product Design? What exam board do you do? I do Edexcel and I'm designing a folding-bicycle storage unit for my A2 coursework
    Ah no sorry. I'm doing OCR GCSE product design. I'm tempted to take it for A level but last year nobody got an A* (
    Thank you for your time and your idea sounds very good as well!

ReputationRep:
    Bump (need more people)

ReputationRep:
    Bump cmon people!

ReputationRep:
    ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????

ReputationRep:
    Purple and... orange I guess..?

Depends on the build and sound quality. Though for a speak I probably wouldn't spend more than £60. I'd honestly feel sceptical if it was below £20...

I don't own any speakers but I would like a little bass, not too much.

2+ years.

This is just a personal thing but I would prefer a more minimalist design. Of course this is just purely my opinion and the product isn't just catered to me. Offering the product in a wider range of colours would also be nice. In terms of improvement, I would need to try the product out to know this.

It's a nice addition, as long as you can turn them off when you want/need to. IDK if they're RGB but being able to change the colour of them would be nice.

It would easily be able to fit in my bag or suitcase if I went travelling. Transporting it around somewhere doesn't seem like much of of hassle.

Depends how much more expensive, if we're talking something like £5-£20 then yeah, I guess I would buy the more expensive one. If it's something like £50 more then I'm fine with the less attractive one. It would also depend on the quality of the product. If the cheaper one was cheaply made and would break fairly easily, it might be more worthwhile to get the more expensive one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pqndachan)
    Purple and... orange I guess..?

Depends on the build and sound quality. Though for a speak I probably wouldn't spend more than £60. I'd honestly feel sceptical if it was below £20...

I don't own any speakers but I would like a little bass, not too much.

2+ years.

This is just a personal thing but I would prefer a more minimalist design. Of course this is just purely my opinion and the product isn't just catered to me. Offering the product in a wider range of colours would also be nice. In terms of improvement, I would need to try the product out to know this.

It's a nice addition, as long as you can turn them off when you want/need to. IDK if they're RGB but being able to change the colour of them would be nice.

It would easily be able to fit in my bag or suitcase if I went travelling. Transporting it around somewhere doesn't seem like much of of hassle.

Depends how much more expensive, if we're talking something like £5-£20 then yeah, I guess I would buy the more expensive one. If it's something like £50 more then I'm fine with the less attractive one. It would also depend on the quality of the product. If the cheaper one was cheaply made and would break fairly easily, it might be more worthwhile to get the more expensive one.
    Thank you

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.