Turn on thread page Beta

I have no clue what to do after A Level. I don't want to go to university. I looked at apprenticeship but nothing interested me at all.

ReputationRep:
    Take a gap year to travel the world. Try to get a job to earn some money. If you are confident enough, start YouTube. Do you have a talent? work on it and pursue it.

(Original post by Loluwa-Temi)
    Take a gap year to travel the world. Try to get a job to earn some money. If you are confident enough, start YouTube. Do you have a talent? work on it and pursue it.
    Gap year seems a waste of time. I don't think I have a talent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Gap year seems a waste of time. I don't think I have a talent
    join the workforce then? an internship/apprenticeship would be the easiest way in

(Original post by bruh2132)
    join the workforce then? an internship/apprenticeship would be the easiest way in
    I have had a look at apprenticeships. I have not found anything at all which interests me. I don't want a job which I don't enjoy

ReputationRep:
    I have had a look at apprenticeships. I have not found anything at all which interests me. I don't want a job which I don't enjoy
    Ok start from basics. Likes and dislikes? Which classes at school were you better at? (Even if there aren’t any you really enjoyed)

What do you do in your spare time? Is there anything you feel strongly about? You must have some personality and you need to relate that to a possible job
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by carrotstar)
    Ok start from basics. Likes and dislikes? Which classes at school were you better at? (Even if there aren’t any you really enjoyed)

What do you do in your spare time? Is there anything you feel strongly about? You must have some personality and you need to relate that to a possible job
    In my spare time I workout and watch youtube videos.
    I am not really good at any subject.

ReputationRep:
    In my spare time I workout and watch youtube videos.
    I am not really good at any subject.
    Right so how much do you work out? Do you go to a gym? Would you be interesting in being a personal trainer?

YouTube videos... obviously the dream for a lot of people is to have so many subscribers that you don’t need another form of income but this isn’t realistic. However are you interested in the tech used to record them? The art of videos and films? Could this stretch to film-making? Working behind cameras on the TV?

Also can I ask what you did for A-level and how you chose those subjects?

Do you enjoy your food or have a love of one particular type of food? In my case I love Italian food so if I were to work in a restaurant I would go for Bella Italia or something similar!

(Original post by carrotstar)
    Right so how much do you work out? Do you go to a gym? Would you be interesting in being a personal trainer?

YouTube videos... obviously the dream for a lot of people is to have so many subscribers that you don’t need another form of income but this isn’t realistic. However are you interested in the tech used to record them? The art of videos and films? Could this stretch to film-making? Working behind cameras on the TV?

Also can I ask what you did for A-level and how you chose those subjects?

Do you enjoy your food or have a love of one particular type of food? In my case I love Italian food so if I were to work in a restaurant I would go for Bella Italia or something similar!
    I workout around 5 times a week but I don't enjoy it. For my a levels I am doing English literature, English language and history. I don't enjoy that at all and I hate English literature. I choose these as I felt I had to go to college and do something.

ReputationRep:
    I workout around 5 times a week but I don't enjoy it. For my a levels I am doing English literature, English language and history. I don't enjoy that at all and I hate English literature. I choose these as I felt I had to go to college and do something.
    Ok, but you haven’t commented on all my suggestions. What about the film/media route? What about food? Perhaps you don’t have he motivation but I don’t think you’re really helping yourself!

What parts of everyday life do you enjoy or appreciate? For example are you satisfied by clean bed sheet at night when you go to sleep?

I think it would be helpful if over a week you keep a notebook with you and note down every little thing which happens and is positive in your life. Something as small as someone smiling at you or asking how your day was. A house which you thought was an awesome colour. A puppy which was adorable and super fluffy. The impressive bass in your headphones. Anything you like.
    At the same time note down things which anger you or you feel some frustration about; could this motivate you to correct them? For example a pothole which cars drive through and splash you on the path. An iron gate falling off its hinges. A car coughing out black soot as it drives past. Your manicure chipping just a day after you’ve painted it. Not being able to get the last of the ketchup out of the bottle. Put these in a separate notebook or piece of paper so you don’t look at the two lists at the same time.

From these lists you can mark an asterisk next to the things which are most important to you. Perhaps you’ll find some things you’d like to improve in the world!

Edit: Feel free to pm me if you would rather

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know about the flum/media route. I just like to eat healthy food. I enjoy going to sleep at the end of everyday. I like it when I urinate and my urine is white as I know I am hydrated. I enjoy going outside at early times in the morning. I dislike dirt, reading, and poetry

ReputationRep:
    Most jobs available to someone at your level will be minimum wage paid and not fun. But that's just a fact of life. However if not studying, then you need to get out there and into the work force.

The worst thing of all is to be unemployed and out of education/training for a long period of time. It will make you look like a lazy bum, and later on people will question such a point in your life if it became protracted (they will question what exactly you were doing through it etc). And too much time out of work/education will also make you increasingly socially isolated (and strain relations with your parents, who will become increasingly displeased with having to support someone who although is fully capable of working or studying etc, is instead living like a retired individual).

You are shooting down a lot of people's suggestions right now, justifying not doing things more than doing things. This is not good. Whatever you decide to do, nothing will happen unless you use your own initiative and act on it.

If you are really turned off by the variety of paid jobs available, then consider looking at doing volunteer work!

Volunteer work may be unpaid, but the work itself is often far more interesting (for example working with saving animals, the environment or helping people etc) and very meaningful/rewarding. It looks good on a CV (giving you references etc) and the hours and commitments to it are much more flexible (which is good if you don't want to take on anything too higher responsibility). It's also not unusual for volunteer positions to become real fixed/paid positions.

Check out volunteer work available in your area, is extremely diverse and you will help yourself in doing in it just as much as you help others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve5427)
    I really don't know about the flum/media route. I just like to eat healthy food. I enjoy going to sleep at the end of everyday. I like it when I urinate and my urine is white as I know I am hydrated. I enjoy going outside at early times in the morning. I dislike dirt, reading, and poetry
    So it sounds like you’re fairly health conscious and you like being clean and hygeinic?

So think about the sort of jobs down this route. Let’s take something as simple as what’s related to a laundrette, for example. Might not be interesting but I just want to demonstrate the different related jobs to any industry:

Someone has to make the washing machines.
    Someone has to manufacture the plastic parts and metal parts separately. Then the electronic parts will also need to be designed and produced.
    Someone needs to write the instruction manual for how the washing machine works.
    Same for dryers.
    Someone needs to be in charge of purchasing the separate parts before they can be put together.
    Someone needs to sell the washing machine as a whole.
    Someone needs to advertise and sell the individual parts.
    Someone needs to design, manufacture and sell the tools such as screwdrivers used to put them together.
    Someone at the laundrette needs to order said washing machine and then someone needs to deliver it to the laundrette.
    Someone needs to install coin or electronically operated pay stations for each individual washing machine in the laundrette.
    Someone needs to design, develop, manufacture and sell the washing liquid and conditioner used in each of the washing machines.
    Someone needs to design, develop, manufacture and sell a cleaning product which can be put in a wash to maintain the washing machines.
    Someone needs to be available to be called out when the washing machine doesn’t work and needs parts replacing.
    Someone needs to insure the laundrette so that if there is a flood, or a fire, all of the washing machines and the building are insured.
    And of course, someone need to run the laundrette to start with.

I hope you get the idea; behind every business and every product there is an array of workers behind the scenes who work in harmony to deliver an end product.

The question is what part of that do you want to be? How can your skills as interests help the companies which already exist? If they can’t, do you have the capability to branch out on your own? Where is there a gap in the market?

Have a think about healthy food and the jobs involved. Someone has to farm it, someone has to provide the seeds, someone has to provide the tractor, someone has to sell it etc...
    What about something to do with a study of diet or health? Are you interested in how your urine becomes so pale? Are you interested in the sleep patterns which make you so happy to go to bed and wake up so early?

Don’t worry about your A-levels, either; if you want something then there will be the appropriate foundation course to complete and get you on the right track.

ReputationRep:
    I think the study of diet seems interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Join the army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Robot)
    Join the army.
    Never

ReputationRep:
    Never
    Why not. You seem to have no interests, no goals and don't know what to do with yourself. You like the basic things such as being healthy and going to sleep at night so why not join the army? It's not permanent. You do a couple of years which gives time and experience into what you want to do for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Robot)
    Why not. You seem to have no interests, no goals and don't know what to do with yourself. You like the basic things such as being healthy and going to sleep at night so why not join the army? It's not permanent. You do a couple of years which gives time and experience into what you want to do for the rest of your life.
    Don't want to die

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to die
    You're chances of dying as a soilder is very low, and joing the army doesn't mean you have to become a soilder. There are many other jobs in the army that do not require you to go fight on the frontlines.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the army is for me

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.