Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mental health problem or...? watch

Announcements

So I’ve had a few panic attacks here and there, in year 9 I had 2. I went through a rough few months last year from May-September me and my bestfriend of 3 years had a MAJOR argument causing me to be ditched by everhone and I thought I had depression because I felt lowest of the low all day for about 6 months (my sadness/depression lasted until November when I literally had to force myself to be happy and I used to come home drained at the end of the school day exhausted from putting a smile on. (All is better with my friends now) however I still get so many days where my mind is just attacking all good thoughts in me and just makes me overthink about everything. In November I had my year 11 mocks, and during my last exam I nearly had a panic attack. It was in a hall of the 300 people in our year. I was sat right at the front. All of a sudden about half way through I had a huge wave of panic and I was looking at my surroundings and trying to find a way out, I couldn’t put my hand up to ask the invigilator to leave as I was terrified of being stared at by everyone. I was looking for a way to escape and was staring at the exit door for about 45 minutes of the 1 hour 30 mind exam. I overall got a 4 in the mock because I could not concentrate. I’m suddenly starting to get more and more anxious everyday again. I’m not close to any of my teachers to speak about this and I’m so scared of talking to anyone about it because I’m so shy, however I put upfront like I’m the most confident person ever, I look so confident from the outside but I’m really not. I’ve got another set of mocks in less than a month, what should I do? I’m terrified of having a panic attack in the exam hall and my whole year thinking of me as a freak and weirdo!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    That is absolutely awful! Even if you don't feel 100% that you might need help, seek it out and take it anyway. You can never be too equiped for life's major and anxiety-provoking events. Especially with your exams coming up, you want to be in the best head space as possible. I do feel the first person to think about talking to is a teacher you trust will take you seriously and will know how best to help you. If you have a nurse or mentors at your school, they are the go-to people. If not, every school always has at least one teacher trained for the role of making sure all the students are okay. If talking to someone (at least face to face) isnt really what you want to do, then you could try Kooth. It's an online site for the purpose of helping young people get through the teengae years I guess. They have counselors that you can speak to anonymously and they give you the best structured and effective advice. Hope this was helpful.

(Original post by Obatobimacaroni)
    That is absolutely awful! Even if you don't feel 100% that you might need help, seek it out and take it anyway. You can never be too equiped for life's major and anxiety-provoking events. Especially with your exams coming up, you want to be in the best head space as possible. I do feel the first person to think about talking to is a teacher you trust will take you seriously and will know how best to help you. If you have a nurse or mentors at your school, they are the go-to people. If not, every school always has at least one teacher trained for the role of making sure all the students are okay. If talking to someone (at least face to face) isnt really what you want to do, then you could try Kooth. It's an online site for the purpose of helping young people get through the teengae years I guess. They have counselors that you can speak to anonymously and they give you the best structured and effective advice. Hope this was helpful.
    Thankyou for your reply! I know, it was a really rough year. We are all currently being assigned mentors, and one of my teachers said I have one but I don’t know who it is. There is one teacher who’s good with talking about mental health but he kind of only speaks to his ‘favourites’ if you know what I mean. Also even if I did get a mentor I feel like I would be too scared to open up, especially if it’s a teacher I don’t know

ReputationRep:
    It will be scary at the beginning but it will be worth it in the end and this is what you must think about in order to ask for the help that you deserve from where ever you feel the most comfortable. Even if you must, take some time to get to know your mentor (after finding out who they are of course) and don't give up. Like I mentioned, you can also try Kooth for proper support and advice.

(Original post by Obatobimacaroni)
    It will be scary at the beginning but it will be worth it in the end and this is what you must think about in order to ask for the help that you deserve from where ever you feel the most comfortable. Even if you must, take some time to get to know your mentor (after finding out who they are of course) and don't give up. Like I mentioned, you can also try Kooth for proper support and advice.
    Thankyou so much for your help i really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    When it rains, it pours...but soon the sun shines again. Stay positive. Better days are on there way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.