Lauren0129
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering if people think that it's okay for a 12 year old to tutor younger children in maths. My daughter is very good at maths and wants to help others and make a bit of money so that she can start buying gifts for her family members. Please say whether you think people would let her.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lauren0129)
I was wondering if people think that it's okay for a 12 year old to tutor younger children in maths. My daughter is very good at maths and wants to help others and make a bit of money so that she can start buying gifts for her family members. Please say whether you think people would let her.
If I were a parent, I wouldn't necessarily want a 12-year-old teaching my children. Not because of their age as such but because 1) being 'very good at maths' is subjective, and she is too young to have completed any examinations to prove her abilities, and the bigger issue is 2) being very good at maths and being a good teacher/tutor in maths are two very different things. There may be complicated concepts that she is able to understand well above what is expected of her age, but that does not mean that she is able to explain those concepts so that others understand (and being able to adapt these explanations for different abilities, levels of detail needed etc.).

I appreciate her sentiment though, so maybe she could ask her school if there are any mentoring schemes that she could take part in within her school/partner primary schools, which would be more appropriate for someone of her age group.
am08170
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I don´t agree with you I believe they can tutor if you give them a chance then see how it goes then yea but your not one to say weather or not someone is smart enough to tutor another child and most kids who already finished the concept of whatever the younger child is doing they will know what to do cause they just learned it not too long ago and older people probably would have forgotten how to do a certain subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.48%
I'm not sure (56)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (359)
29.38%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (595)
48.69%

Watched Threads