Turn on thread page Beta

16 years old going to a gym watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi There,
    I joined the gym group around a month ago but I do not have a proper workout programme and I was wondering if it is worth getting a personal trainer as the gym offers 3 sessions for free or are they just going to waste my time seeing that I would not likely be able to pay once the free sessions are finished.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I admire you for even stepping foot into the gym. As a recently turned 17 year old, I destest the gym, or I should say people in the gym and would never go.
    But anyways. I think it's okay to not have a personal programme. Workout as you like. Slack off as you want. Whatever.
    I do however think that the 3 sessions would be helpful as an experience or an example to make your own from afterwards. They should provide good quality sessions, particularly as they don't know that you're not going to continue it, afterall their goal is to make you want to do it so they will therefore be a polite, kind, helpful and as convincing as possible. So I would say to go for it. You don't loose anything as it doesn't cost anything, and you might even gain something. Just try not to let them know that you're not going to do it afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    mate go onto youtube and search bodybuilding.com, theres like a hundred different workouts to base on

chose to target different muscles each workout e.g. I go 5 times a week so I do

Monday arms
    Tuesday shoulders
    Wednesday chest
    Thursday back
    Friday legs

heres some tips:
    start by doing 45 minute workouts at Max for the first couple months use low weights and get used to gym, don't rush as that always leads to injury and also looking like a bit of a fool in the gym. don't be the guy that everyone laughs at because you go in and take a huge weight thinking you can lift it (I made this mistake and I won't ever forget it) and most of all its okay to start off light always use weights that your comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoongililphoenix)
    First of all, I admire you for even stepping foot into the gym. As a recently turned 17 year old, I destest the gym, or I should say people in the gym and would never go.
    But anyways. I think it's okay to not have a personal programme. Workout as you like. Slack off as you want. Whatever.
    I do however think that the 3 sessions would be helpful as an experience or an example to make your own from afterwards. They should provide good quality sessions, particularly as they don't know that you're not going to continue it, afterall their goal is to make you want to do it so they will therefore be a polite, kind, helpful and as convincing as possible. So I would say to go for it. You don't loose anything as it doesn't cost anything, and you might even gain something. Just try not to let them know that you're not going to do it afterwards.
    Thanks for that but realistically wouldn't they be able to tell that a 16 year old can't pay for personal training unless they are from a well off family and therefore if they were they would go to an expensive gym like virgin and Nuffield.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that if you hit gym you get stunted growth?
    I want to start gym when I finish my GCSE's during that big ass holiday because I know I won't do anything my else (my parents have never go on holiday)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSD2001)
    Hi There,
    I joined the gym group around a month ago but I do not have a proper workout programme and I was wondering if it is worth getting a personal trainer as the gym offers 3 sessions for free or are they just going to waste my time seeing that I would not likely be able to pay once the free sessions are finished.

Thanks

expect to be paying at least £25 an hour once the freebee's finish

can you afford that at 16?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Is it true that if you hit gym you get stunted growth?
    I want to start gym when I finish my GCSE's during that big ass holiday because I know I won't do anything my else (my parents have never go on holiday)

I've heard that rumour once or twice but tbh i don't know if it's just an old wives tale or if there's any truth in it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSD2001)
    Hi There,

Thanks
    Nothing to lose if you try the free sessions (unless you have to buy x sessions to get the free ones). If it is just a free trial, go for it and decide whether they are worth getting some money together for more. Or if you are cheeky try and coordinate a plan/regime with them by the third session that you can use on your own
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Read the FAQ

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.