Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a year 9 student who is currently interested in a career in law, we pick our options mid- year 9 then start them in year 10. English, Maths and a form of Science is compulsory. We get the choice between Separate Sciences, which is Triple Science and Double Science + RE or Citizenship.
    I have decided to pick Triple Science, since I am naturally good at science according to my teacher and enjoy it.
    Then comes the more difficult part of it, the more in depth options.
    We must choose 3 subjects from a long list, but I've narrowed it down to a few subjects. (Geography is on the list but I dislike it on a personal level and find the topics that we'd study at GCSE tedious and ridiciously boring)
    History, Drama, Sociology, French, Computer Science,

I know for certain I am going to pick History at GCSE and perhaps at A -Level if I still plan for a career in law.
    I am excellent at Drama, however I'm not sure if this is a waste of a gcse or not.
    Sociology seemed like a good alternative to Citizenship, and apparently it's quite interesting.
    I am great at Computer Science despite finding it slightly boring at times.
    I am also quite skilled at French, however feel like I wouldn't achieve as high as I would if I were to pick some of the other subjects.

Currently, my list looks like this, History, Computer Science and Sociology. As a young person looking for a career in law, are these options suitable? If you've picked one of these did you enjoy it? Did you hate it? Please comment, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AB2907)
    I'm currently a year 9 student who is currently interested in a career in law, we pick our options mid- year 9 then start them in year 10. English, Maths and a form of Science is compulsory. We get the choice between Separate Sciences, which is Triple Science and Double Science + RE or Citizenship.
    I have decided to pick Triple Science, since I am naturally good at science according to my teacher and enjoy it.
    We must choose 3 subjects from a long list, but I've narrowed it down to a few subjects. (Geography is on the list but I dislike it on a personal level and find the topics that we'd study at GCSE tedious and ridiciously boring)

I know for certain I am going to pick History at GCSE and perhaps at A -Level if I still plan for a career in law.
    I am excellent at Drama, however I'm not sure if this is a waste of a gcse or not.
    Sociology seemed like a good alternative to Citizenship, and apparently it's quite interesting.
    I am also quite skilled at French, however feel like I wouldn't achieve as high as I would if I were to pick some of the other subjects.

Currently, my list looks like this, History, Computer Science and Sociology. As a young person looking for a career in law, are these options suitable? If you've picked one of these did you enjoy it? Did you hate it? Please comment, thank you!
    History, French and Sociology would go well. History and sociology would help eachother with essays and it’s valued by universities and jobs to have a language. I do Sociology gcse and am due to sit my GCSEs in May so I’ve nearly finished the course and I loved it. History is extremely hard as my friends do get really stressed about it as they enjoyed it in year 9, but if you want to do it I would. Sociology is the one subject I think you should definitely take you will enjoy it as everyone does
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth286)
    History, French and Sociology would go well. History and sociology would help eachother with essays and it’s valued by universities and jobs to have a language. I do Sociology gcse and am due to sit my GCSEs in May so I’ve nearly finished the course and I loved it. History is extremely hard as my friends do get really stressed about it as they enjoyed it in year 9, but if you want to do it I would. Sociology is the one subject I think you should definitely take you will enjoy it as everyone does
    I'm relieved Sociology is a good subject as the topics at GCSE seem really interesting and honestly I love the teacher who's teaching it at my school.
    To do law essay subjects are good I think, so I'm still gonna try for History.
    Now, with French, apparently its all exam which seems really tough. I know a language is good, but I'd rather get a 7 in Computer Science than a 6 in French. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I'm relieved Sociology is a good subject as the topics at GCSE seem really interesting and honestly I love the teacher who's teaching it at my school.
    Now, with French, apparently its all exam which seems really tough. I know a language is good, but I'd rather get a 7 in Computer Science than a 6 in French. Thoughts?
    All the new specs are no coursework, apart from drama. For me personally I’m better at exams than coursework but that’s just me. I’m not sure, personally I would say French as having a language is always valued, and a 6 is an amazing grade

ReputationRep:
    My drama teacher tried to persuade me to do Drama, saying I should try to have at least one 'fun' subject in the midst of the other academic subjects. I've got to admit, I was a bit swayed. I've been researching the benefits of having a language under my belt, there are actually so many! Seriously considering French at the moment, do you do French? How hard is it if you do?

ReputationRep:
    GCSE subjects are not that important, especially concerning universities. All they care about are your grades, especially for law. I'd highly recommend taking GCSEs you enjoy and will do well in and make sure for any sixth forms you may go to, you take the required subjects to do courses you're interested in at A Level.

If you love drama, do it! Doing a language GCSE is no where near as important as it's made out to be and it's a hard GCSE so only do it if you really like it and will do well. Don't pick anything you hate cause you feel you should! This was me in art and it became my worst grade and ruined my 2 years.

So yeah just pick what you like! Don't worry much about the subject, unis don't care, just make sure you pick ones you can get the grades in.

ReputationRep:
    Take it from me, which subjects you take for GCSE really doesn't matter too much. For example, I am doing history for A Level yet I didn't do the GCSE and I'm doing quite well.

What is more important is the actual grades you attain. For example, I did ICT at GCSE and got an A, the subject itself doesn't matter but it's just another A i can add to my list of grades. Back in year 9 i did Computing, ICT, Business Studies, Double Science, Geography (a huge mistake imo), Spanish, and further maths, (along with maths and the Englishes of course).

The subjects you take at GCSE will, no matter your choices, be extremely broad as to not limit you in the future when choosing what you do at A level / post year 11.

That being said, it really depends on what you want to do after. No matter what that may be, check to see what the entrance requirements are for what you want to do and choose subjects based on that.

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently in year 11 and am going to sit my GCSEs in May/June. I took Geography at GCSE and thought I would enjoy it but it is total garbage and so if you dislike the idea of it, then I think you should instantly rule Geography out. Trust me, you’ll regret picking it if doing so.

While I don’t study French and Computer Science, I study German and ICT which may slightly relate to these subjects. I’d say that (I’m not sure how close ICT/Computer Science are to each other) any kind of computing subject, especially Computer Science, would be very useful in whatever you may want to do. Also, I love German and did like French too (before picking GCSEs) and I’d say that you could pick a Language, however only if you’re sure you’ll enjoy it and be motivated for it.

Everyone I know that has taken Drama absolutely hates it due to having to do so much, in their opinion- ‘useless’, written work, but if you think you’ll enjoy this then go for it because it’s more more about what you would enjoy, I think. We were never offered to be able to take Sociology but I think that it sounds interesting and if you want to go into Law then it would give you foundation knowledge and insight into societies etc. and I think could work well. Lastly, if you enjoy History (personally I hated it- but that’s irrelevant) I think that you should take it because you’d obviously, since enjoying it, be motivated for it, and I think it could also link to a fair few topics and ideas about a Law career, as well as being a strong, highly respected essay-based subject. But hey, this is only GCSEs- they’re important, but pick what you’d enjoy!

My personal opinion for you would be History, Computer Science and Sociology but it’s 100% your call. I hope you are, in the end, happy with your chosen subjects and good luck for your GCSEs- even though they’re a long way away!

ReputationRep:
    even getting a 6 in french is good- lots of unis value language learners because even partially picking up a language can show commitment, intelligence and it can be very useful later in life, even in law. computer science doesn't seem so highly coveted nowadays because picking up complex computer skills can easily be done outside of a classroom and languages can't really be learnt that way (unless you live in the country). i'm doing french and spanish gcse, and while they're pretty challenging together, definitely just one course would be manageable and- in my opinion- gives me a bit of a mental break from other subjects, because there's such a unique way of learning languages which you don't get in other subjects (and it's really satisfying!). it's a healthy challenge!
    history, definitely go for, although if your school does edexcel, be prepared for a lot of content aha. essay subjects are good for law, so sociology's good- i wish that was an option at my school tbh. to be fair, your gcse choices aren't 1. set in stone (i've switched myself pretty early and so have others) and 2. worth stressing about, unless the skills are necessary for late and/or you need to do them for a-level. hope that helps! good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    Languages are desirable (UCL requires a GCSE MFL for all of their courses) but it would be more important that you get good grades. Take whatever you think you will get the highest grades (as long as you enjoy the subjects) in because that is honestly what matters the most. I am choosing this year and have decided on

English Lit Lang
    Maths
    Triple Science
    Geography
    French
    Spanish
    Drama

Like you, I am particularly good at Drama, and I have spoken to Oxford (I am also interested in Law, as well as Languages or Maths) And they said that as long as I got a good grade in it, it would not make my application any less competitive as a GCSE, although it would at A-Level. My reserve would be RS, and they said that a 9 in Drama would actually be BETTER than a 7/8 in RS So if you want to do Drama, then do it.

Otherwise, I would say that if you are aiming for a top uni, you would need at least two of History, French and Computer Science, because they are all academic and well regarded. History and French would be more relevant to Law, but if you enjoy Computer Science why not? Sociology would be relevant and I assume quite fun too but you would have to be doing a lot of essay writing with History, English Literature and Sociology.

Whatever you do, make sure you are good at and enjoy it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Swap sociology or computer science for drama

Do french if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, thanks for all the useful replies. I have until March to decide, but I think I'll do History, French and Sociology. History, I've always planned to do since I first started doing it.
    I've switched computer science for French since it's more relevant to law, and languages look good so I'm told.
    Sociology sounds interesting, but now I'm considering swapping it for Drama. I'm great at essay writing etc. but I've been told it can be ''dull' at times? If anyone does it, is ever boring at times? Is it difficult or easy? Would it add a lot more to the workload of triple science, history and french?

ReputationRep:
    My friend does drama and she says its really good. There’s a fair balance of acting and writing and for the exam you even get to bring in a book! She says it’s a quite easy subject to get a 7 in. Not sure about sociology as my school don’t do it haha.

But you should do french because then you get the English Baccalaureate (EBacc). This consists of
    a grade 5 or above in English and maths GCSE
    a grade C or above in science, a language, and geography or history.

Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: does your school do both english language and literature?

ReputationRep:
    you can check my gcse options thread out - it may answer some of the questions you’re asking :yep:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5181182

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You definitely want to be going with History. It is a relatively difficult GCSE but very good for Law and very rewarding. Sociology is good as it complements this.

I would certainly advise you to pick French over Drama or Computer Science. French is highly valued by universities and employers; in fact, UCL among other universities will not accept you unless you have a GCSE in a modern foreign language. The new GCSEs in languages are hard but if you work hard at it (learn vocab and grammar, practise writing and speaking) you will do well. You say that you are already quite skilled so there is no reason why you shouldn't carry on.

From the quality of writing in your post and your ambition to do Law I can see that you must be pretty intelligent. Doing all three sciences shows this off well. Also, do not choose Drama just because it is a 'fun subject.' I think you are more than capable of doing academic GCSE subjects which will look more impressive on your CV and uni application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, had my options 'interview' with my Head of Year. I ended up choosing History, French and Sociology in that order of priority, with Computer Science, Drama and Geography as my three reserves. Thanks for all your help guys! I'll stop by after my exams in 2020 and tell you all how it went

ReputationRep:

Hello,

I’m in Year 10 now and I actually picked the 3 subjects that you’re thinking of taking (History, CS, Sociology) along with Spanish, as a language is compulsory at my school.

For a career in law, History is pretty much a must & I think that it’s a great subject to take anyway as it’s really interesting - though there is a lot of writing.

As for Sociology, I would say that it’s my easiest GCSE subject and for me, it can sometimes be kinda boring (though we haven’t started crime yet which I’ve heard is the best bit). We did Citizenship in year 7 and 8 and I can definitely say that Sociology is much more interesting.

Computer Science, however, is by far my best & most enjoyable subject. We started our GCSEs in year 9, so i hadn’t even tried Computer Science before picking it , but if you know you are good at it, I would 100% recommend taking it. (It also helps to be good at maths).

Overall, I think that these 3 subjects are an excellent choice.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.