The Student Room Group

Difficulty choosing A Level subjects... Any advice?

--
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by vvtur123
Although nothing is set in stone, I am supposed to choose my A level subjects by next week. Ideally I would like to do English, Politics, Biology and Art, but the problem is that I got a 6 for my biology mock (I need at least an 8 to take it for sixth form), and after asking my teacher about her opinion on this, she said I would probably get a B for my A levels. Of course I have an interest in Biology and if I were to try hard enough I could hopefully get a better mark than this... but I feel uneasy choosing it when I've basically been told that it's best not to. Also the problem with art is that I would only do it as a 4th subject, but everyone is saying that it would probably be too much work?
Considering that I would like to take English for my degree, and perhaps a masters in art history, could anyone possibly give me some advice on my A level choices? Thanks x

Since when did you need an 8 to do an a Level? The normal grade is a 6 even for my strict sixth form, and even if you don’t get a 6 they will let you in. Aslong as you’re interested in it I would defo take it. Also if you want a degree in English it is good to take an essay subject/humanity with it. Art would be better if you were doing 3 subjects as it is so much work. Either do English Art and Biology or English Biology and Politics, I wouldn’t recommend 4 :smile:
Pick 3 alevels which you enjoy. rewards will follow with work.

just because your teacher predicts you a B doesn't mean you're limited to getting a B or below... prove them wrong and get an A*!
Although nothing is set in stone, I am supposed to choose my A level subjects by next week. Ideally I would like to do English, Politics, Biology and Art, but the problem is that I got a 6 for my biology mock (I need at least an 8 to take it for sixth form), and after asking my teacher about her opinion on this, she said I would probably get a B for my A levels. Of course I have an interest in Biology and if I were to try hard enough I could hopefully get a better mark than this... but I feel uneasy choosing it when I've basically been told that it's best not to. Also the problem with art is that I would only do it as a 4th subject, but everyone is saying that it would probably be too much work?
Considering that I would like to take English for my degree, and perhaps a masters in art history, could anyone possibly give me some advice on my A level choices? Thanks x

Hmm.. not sure if Biology really goes. It seems a bit out of place, but if you enjoy it, then I suppose it gives you variety. It's not the grades that would put me off, as a 6 is fine to take it in most places, and you might improve in the real thing.
English, politics and art seem good. Have you considered something like History, or RE, or just even doing 3 subjects. I have friends who do Art and it's a lot of work! They spend all their time doing Art, so I wouldn't do 4 if I were you
Reply 4
I'm not sure, I go to a very competitive private school where we have the ridiculous rule that we can only take a science at A level if you get an A* in the subject... :frown: And you're right about the timing, I probably should only take 3 subjects since I was never good at time keeping anyway, not to mention that art requires a lot of time. Because I'm so indecisive now I was thinking I would sign up for 4 and then drop the one that I like least next year. Would you say taking 4 subjects to drop one is a bad idea? Also thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate it xx

No I think that’s a great idea! I’m thinking of doing that too, however I would recommend dropping it in the first few weeks or months- you don’t want to not be putting as much effort in the other subjects if a certain one requires too much work which you don’t like as it could affect your grade :smile:
Reply 5
Choose what you enjoy, in the sense that you’re good at them too would be great. Look up the specs of your subjects and see which you would enjoy/like learning about and wouldn’t mind putting hours and hours of work and effort into it. I also recommend doing 3, as doing 4 may be difficult to balance and universities only require 3. You can also use the spare time to revise, do extra-curricular activities and just have time for yourself.
I do English A level, along with Theatre Studies, Moving Image Arts and Classics. They're all essay subjects with the exception of mixed in making film for moving image. If you're good at essays and enjoy it, you'll be fine! I have no experience with biology but I love English. I know people who do art and it's intense - honestly tons of work!! Pick what one you love the most!
It looks like you know about a-levels much more than I do, so do you have an idea of whether it's more work to do 3 essay based subjects and Biology, or 2 essay based subjects with art and biology? Thanks x

I do know that it's unnecessary work to do 4 A-levels. You'll get no benefit out of doing 4 in the first year, as it won't count for anything. It's much better to get AAA in year 12 then AABB. I would strongly recommend only doing 3. If I were you, I would do English, Art, and then another option. I don't know many people who do Biology on it's own without another science, and those who do it on their own say they find it really difficult, because I think doing something like Chem with Biology gives you an advantage. You find that most people tend to do either sciency subjects or humanitarian subjects.
So I would do 2 essay subjects and then Art for variety. You don't seem to have any intention of doing Science in the future, so anothet essay subect would be more beneficial. But if you take one thing from my advice, don't do 4 A-Levels
As an a-level biology student I would say the subject isn't necessarily difficult, just a lot of work to stay on top of. If it isn't relevant to what you want to do in the future there really is no point burdening yourself with a fourth a-level (coming from someone who also takes 4 a-levels).
I'm not sure, I go to a very competitive private school where we have the ridiculous rule that we can only take a science at A level if you get an A* in the subject... :frown: And you're right about the timing, I probably should only take 3 subjects since I was never good at time keeping anyway, not to mention that art requires a lot of time. Because I'm so indecisive now I was thinking I would sign up for 4 and then drop the one that I like least next year. Would you say taking 4 subjects to drop one is a bad idea? Also thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate it xx

You could start with 4 and drop one, Its up to you.
Like someone else said, biology does seem slightly different to the rest.
Have you looked at unis websites to see if theres any particular subjects that they reguire.
I'm doing two A levels and a 60 credit diploma. It is exhausting. All my subjects are really similar and there is a lot of content to learn.

I've known since year 9 that I wanted to do psychology at A level. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to do this at GCSE.

My sixth form course are A level Psychology, A level Sociology and diploma Criminology. It is no shock to me that psychology continues to be the subject I love and I'm incredibly passionate about it. However, it is also no surprise that I don't really like/enjoy sociology and criminology. But I had to choose three subjects so I had no choice but to pick two subjects to go with my favoured psychology. If it was up to me I would study psychology only.

My best advice would be to do what you enjoy most. You'll be more likely to learn. Also, do not overload yourself as your grades may fall.

Best of luck and have fun!
Original post by chloecam29
I do English A level, along with Theatre Studies, Moving Image Arts and Classics. They're all essay subjects with the exception of mixed in making film for moving image. If you're good at essays and enjoy it, you'll be fine! I have no experience with biology but I love English. I know people who do art and it's intense - honestly tons of work!! Pick what one you love the most!

I literally submitted my A2 Short film for MIA... I think a lot of people underestimate Moving Image... Making a short film of quality takes bloody ages!!
Original post by Acjmorton
I literally submitted my A2 Short film for MIA... I think a lot of people underestimate Moving Image... Making a short film of quality takes bloody ages!!

Same but my AS film! I know right, it's pretty intense, especially the statement of intentions/director's notebook! Half my year just think we watch films lmao
All the best with your A2s!

Quick Reply

Latest