Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sounds and feels pretty odd to be writing a thread about this, since, your connection with your Mother is usually very strong - but for me, it has descended into a distant relationship, since I moved out of family home and living with my partner.

Okay, so I'm 27 - maybe that's quite normal to move out, but ringing my Mum feels awkward nothing much to chat about. I don't live a particularly interesting life, and nor does she so its always a short conversation under 15 minutes whenever I ring.

I usually ring when I'm stressed, and to ask her for some money, especially when struggling financially. Sounds selfish and such, but she is in receipt of some benefits I receive for my condition, so I occasionally ask her when I need it. 9 times out of 10 I don't ring her very often, usually only at Christmas, my Birthday or public holidays.

I wish I was close to her again, like I was when I lived at home, but our dynamic is different.

I miss home, and comforts and warm Sunday nights by the fire, and you know just Motherly affection. I miss her running about after me and fussing, not out of laziness, but because I generally miss having her around (I live 150 miles away now).

What would you do in my situation? How can I make us closer again?

ReputationRep:
    If she is in receipt of benefits for YOUR condition why aren't you receiving them yourself?..

(Original post by Jackieox)
    If she is in receipt of benefits for YOUR condition why aren't you receiving them yourself?..
    Long story short; she applied for it, when I was very young, and for convenience she has been receiving it in her bank account ever since.

We just hadn't got around to switching bank accounts. I recently moved so had difficulties changing address with the bank etc, and so she has been sending me it periodically in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    Go and see her. Phone calls aren't the same.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.