The Student Room Group

Police Caution

Back in 2010 I was stupid and sold tickets to 3 people, they paid me by Bank transfer and I never delivered on the tickets.
2 out of the 3 people reported me to the Police and they traced me to my home address. I was suffering with severe depression at the time.

Anyway, the police stated if I didn't accept a caution at my home address so they could talk to me , I would need to be taken down to the station so I accepted the caution.

I lied through my teeth and said I knew nothing about it. All messages were through Gumtree and the people never spoke to me, I was going down swinging. Anyway, the Police man in charge was a right ****, I said it must have been a mistake and my account was used by someone else or a number was misplaced. They had no evidence, they took my home computer for 3 months but they found nothing on it. There was no real conclusion to the matter, the policeman turned up at my house and handed my computer back in a brown evidence bag without talking.

I wanted to know will this caution show up 8 years on for applying for jobs? I keep stressing if the caution shows up , would it show up if I get in bother with the police again? It won't happen but I have no idea. Someone help
Reply 1
Original post by Jacksmith33
Back in 2010 I was stupid and sold tickets to 3 people, they paid me by Bank transfer and I never delivered on the tickets.
2 out of the 3 people reported me to the Police and they traced me to my home address. I was suffering with severe depression at the time.

Anyway, the police stated if I didn't accept a caution at my home address so they could talk to me , I would need to be taken down to the station so I accepted the caution.

I lied through my teeth and said I knew nothing about it. All messages were through Gumtree and the people never spoke to me, I was going down swinging. Anyway, the Police man in charge was a right ****, I said it must have been a mistake and my account was used by someone else or a number was misplaced. They had no evidence, they took my home computer for 3 months but they found nothing on it. There was no real conclusion to the matter, the policeman turned up at my house and handed my computer back in a brown evidence bag without talking.

I wanted to know will this caution show up 8 years on for applying for jobs? I keep stressing if the caution shows up , would it show up if I get in bother with the police again? It won't happen but I have no idea. Someone help

Cautions are generally wiped off a record after a certain number of years; but they will undoubtedly show up on an enhanced DBS check. Not sure about a standard.
Reply 2
Unless they were doing a very deep and detailed one i very much doubt anyone will be able to see it.
Equally I believe theyre only stored on file at your local station [although I might be mistaking this for a warning]
Reply 3
Would the caution show up in the future if the Police did a check on my name for any reason ?
Most cautions will no longer show on dbs checks after six years provided it's your only one.
Reply 5
Amibee it's all a bit confusing really. I used Gumtree to sell the tickets back in 2010 and as I say I was stupid and suffering from severe and I mean severe depression, The payments were sent to my bank account, worse still the amounts totalled £500, but the Police didn't know about one of the people I scammed , Until I told them that someone else had put the money in my account. Anyway, I handed the £500 to the Police along with my laptop.
All they had to go on was the amounts were put in my OWN bank account, I didn't admit any wrong doing, I didn't admit anything.
I lied through my teeth for the 30 minutes I was questioned and never admitted anything, but the Police officer specifically stated that I would need to go to the Police station if i didn't accept the caution then and there, I was 23 , I didn;t really know what a caution was, I used a fake name and email to sell the tickets on gumtree so it wasn't even my own name I used as communication.

Quick Reply