Turn on thread page Beta

My brother uses slurs and my mum lets him watch

I'm an out lesbian (17yrs old). My brother (16yrs old) plays online games on playstation with his friends and when he loses on his games (which happens a lot) he yells things at his fellow players. Some of his favourite insults include dyke, fag, queer & homo. I've heard him call people both online and IRL these things. His room is right in the middle of the house and he yells, so no matter where I am I can hear him. I usually put my headphones in and let him get on with it rather than get yelled at, but this morning I was in the kitchen with mum and he called someone "queer" in a way that was clearly insulting and loud enough for both me and mum to hear it. I muttered, more to myself than anything, something like "well, that's lovely to hear". Mum sighed and shook her head, and I assumed this was the first time she was hearing him say it and she was getting ready to go off on him, as that's how her yelling at me or my brothers tends to start, but instead she tells me off. She says that she can't police his language and we should let him get on with it, not make snarky comments under our breath, which is rude.
    I know I'm going to get called a snowflake or whatever, but this is my home. I'm meant to be able to be myself here but my brother is literally yelling homophobic slurs and mum is letting him! I've talked to my brother and asked him to tone it down/cut it out, but he says since he's not saying it to me, what's the problem?
    Are they right? I don't want to be upset about this, but every time I hear it my whole body freezes and I just hate always hearing it!

ReputationRep:
    difficult situation

other than sabotage his consoles or help him improve his gaming skills so he doesn't loose I can't really see a solution

ReputationRep:
    Nah completely agree with you, your mum needs to start calling him out on it otherwise he's going to go through life thinking it's acceptable to call people those things

ReputationRep:
    At least you're getting practice at home with hearing it.

Because guess what darling? You're gonna hear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Nah completely agree with you, your mum needs to start calling him out on it otherwise he's going to go through life thinking it's acceptable to call people those things
    Agreed, I wouldn't want to keep hearing it shouted as it is insulting.

ReputationRep:
    Get used to it now and it will be easier in the future.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.