Announcements

ReputationRep:
    --
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by tanmarie)
    Hi :-) I am currently off sick from my degree and, due to personal circumstances, I think I might re start my second year at a different university. However, I'm worried that it will be hard for me to make friends. Although I can be a confident person, I'm usually shy when I first meet people. And I feel everyone will already know each other, which is a little unsettling. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences of transferring to second year? Or any advice? New to this site, thank you :-)
    I think as long as you're confident and keep making the effort consistently, you won't have any trouble with making friends or breaking into a group!

Whilst I haven't personally gone through this, I've made friends with people who came into the second year and broke into our friendship group. The thing is--especially in Uni I think--friendship groups aren't cemented! They move and change constantly and are entirely flexible; our friendship group has evolved since day one and still does so! As long as you try hard, I think you'll be fine! Don't get discouraged--and try and maybe focus on one or two people that you think you'll get along with if the overall group is hard to break in to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle Bieger)
    I think as long as you're confident and keep making the effort consistently, you won't have any trouble with making friends or breaking into a group!

Whilst I haven't personally gone through this, I've made friends with people who came into the second year and broke into our friendship group. The thing is--especially in Uni I think--friendship groups aren't cemented! They move and change constantly and are entirely flexible; our friendship group has evolved since day one and still does so! As long as you try hard, I think you'll be fine! Don't get discouraged--and try and maybe focus on one or two people that you think you'll get along with if the overall group is hard to break in to.
    (Original post by Michelle Bieger)

thank you! was this in your group in lectures/ seminars? how did these people break into your group? like just 'hi, i'm new' kinda thing?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    thank you! was this in your group in lectures/ seminars? how did these people break into your group? like just 'hi, i'm new' kinda thing?
    In our course it mostly started out with hanging out with each other before class. People in groups already, waiting for the room, chatting about work or something and then someone pops in with a "Oh yeah I found that assignment difficult too!"

I know that that can sound kind of lurk-y and creepy, but obviously if two people are in an intense discussion that's obviously private don't do it this way! Normally chats like this outside the classroom are broad and anyone can jump in as it turns into a big chat involving everyone in the hallway. It'll take a judgement call of course to determine if this is the case for your situation!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi :-) I am currently off sick from my degree and, due to personal circumstances, I think I might re start my second year at a different university. However, I'm worried that it will be hard for me to make friends. Although I can be a confident person, I'm usually shy when I first meet people. And I feel everyone will already know each other, which is a little unsettling. I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences of transferring to second year? Or any advice? New to this site, thank you :-)
    Hey,

Which university are you thinking of transferring to? I know it can seem a little unnerving entering a new place where you think everybody's friendships are already made, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to fit in. As cliché as it is, just be yourself, and be approachable, and it should be pretty easy to make friends with the people on your course. However, if for some reason this doesn't happen, you could always try joining a few societies, where you'll be able to meet people who share your interests and/or hobbies. University is generally a pretty sociable place, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Anna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annablagg)
    Hey,

Which university are you thinking of transferring to? I know it can seem a little unnerving entering a new place where you think everybody's friendships are already made, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to fit in. As cliché as it is, just be yourself, and be approachable, and it should be pretty easy to make friends with the people on your course. However, if for some reason this doesn't happen, you could always try joining a few societies, where you'll be able to meet people who share your interests and/or hobbies. University is generally a pretty sociable place, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Anna
    hey! sheffield or manchester i think. thank you so much :-)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.