Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im currently studying 9-1 German, and have achieved a grade 5 in my mock. This is behind all of my other grades and I want to improve it. My weaknesses are grammar rules. Where can I get help?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you get any of the mock test back? I'd very much like to take a look at it (if you could scan and post it here or PM it to me – you can black out any name to anonymise it). It might help diagnose where the gaps are and what your need to revise more specifically.

ReputationRep:
    We haven’t reviewed it yet. Could you recommend any resources I could use for grammar revision? Thanks for your post
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    A Review of German Grammar by Bruce Duncan at Dartmouth College (USA) can be helpful. It has explanations of relevant grammar, in parts with comparisons to English grammar usage. They also have a somewhat older "drill" site, where you can try out and test yourself
    https://dartdrill.dartmouth.edu/driller (select category "High School" or "Review"

A systematic and detailed German grammar reference for more advanced users in German and English is at
    http://canoo.net/index_en.html

Apart from that there are numerous resources on the web. Youtube has several channels - this one sticks out in my opinion: Learn German with Jenny

For general orientation, I would recommend looking into the specifications of your exam board. E.g. The AQA specification 8668 has a list of grammatical topics that are expected from the student, and it also contains a list of absolute essential words that are generally required, that is, apart from the context/topic-related vocab (Freizeit, Familie, etc.)
    But I would also look into using one of the printed revision guides published/endorsed by the exam board.

Often you'll find material that is targeted at a specific CEFR language skill level (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2). It's probably difficult to compare, but as far as I know, GCSE German is somewhat at CEFR level A2. (A-level German should be about CEFR level B2 or better, which is also the lowest entry requirement when you apply at a German university.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.