The Student Room Group

Weed at medical school?

loooooool
(edited 6 years ago)
Why would they do a drugs test?! If you think your behaviour here is such that you may be routinely drugs tested then a) you've got bigger problems you should probably sort out and b) i would try to avoid having a positive result no matter the circumstance.

Even if something is not illegal, you are expected to act professionally at all times. I do not think being off your face in Amsterdam would count, unfortunately. Perhaps the chance of you being caught is small, but what with social media etc recording our every action I'd be very cautious.
Nope - you won't be able to prove you did it in Amsterdam only.
Original post by nexttime
Why would they do a drugs test?! If you think your behaviour here is such that you may be routinely drugs tested then a) you've got bigger problems you should probably sort out and b) i would try to avoid having a positive result no matter the circumstance.

Even if something is not illegal, you are expected to act professionally at all times. I do not think being off your face in Amsterdam would count, unfortunately. Perhaps the chance of you being caught is small, but what with social media etc recording our every action I'd be very cautious.

Loads of med schools drug test. Do some research before giving such a judgey ignorant answer
I'm guessing that the issue is not so much the legality but the fact that you are a drug user. If you were on a plane and the pilot had just failed a drug test, would you feel happier knowing that he had smoked the weed in Amsterdam rather than London?

From the Royal College of Psychiatrists:
"Some users may experience psychotic symptoms with hallucinations and delusions lasting a few hours, which can be very unpleasant. Even though these unpleasant effects do not last long, since the drug can stay in the system for some weeks, the effect can be more long-lasting than users realise.
Long-term use can have a depressant effect and reduce motivation. Some researchers also suggest that long-term use can lead to irreversible, but minor cognitive deficits"
Probably not the best situation for someone trusted with making life and death decisions about patient care.
Original post by COYS...TTID
Loads of med schools drug test. Do some research before giving such a judgey ignorant answer

Are you serious? Source please. The only UK official source i found said they didn't do it (Leicester), and my med school certainty, certainly didn't!

What with some schools also doing mandatory lecture and ward attendance, sounds more like prison that a school of learning! Do all the doctors and nurses in these places have to do regular drugs tests too?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending