Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am new to these forums and was hoping I could get some advice from those who are currently studying or applying for a Postgraduate degree in Psychology in the UK. My husband got transferred to London for his job, which is why I’m applying for graduate school in the UK (we’re from America!). I had a couple of questions and would love to hear everyone’s advice and opinions!

I have an undergraduate degree in Finance and have worked as a Consultant for Ernst & Young for a few years, but am interested in doing a career change into Psychology since that’s were my true passion is (I was stupid when younger and fell for the glamorous/high paying consulting lifestyle and am regretting it now.) So here I am!

I have applied to the following schools for a Masters in Psychology Conversion:
    1. University of Edinburgh - Pending
    2. University of St. Andrews - Pending
    3. University of Sussex - Pending
    4. University of Glasgow - Pending
    5. University of Surrey - Pending
    6. Middlesex University - Accepted
    7. University of Bristol - Pending

Questions:
    1. What are the timelines for accepting Postgraduate offers in the UK? Is it different per school? I got an email from the Psychology department at Middlesex saying I was accepted and would receive my offer letter next week, but they wanted me to inform them if I intend on accepting (I haven’t even seen the letter yet!). How would I respond to this email? Is it okay to say I’m still waiting on responses from other schools? Not sure what the protocol is for this. Found it weird they were wanting me to commit without even seeing the letter yet.
    2. I am interested in a career change into Clinical Psychology (kind of toying with the idea of Forensic Psychology as well but that’s probably a whole other conversation). I like helping people and half of my family is in the medical field, so I’m pretty certain I would enjoy this occupation. I know I probably need a PhD for this. Will most PhD programs treat a conversion degree in Psychology the same as a regular degree? Or do people who get Conversion Masters usually apply for another Masters in Psychology before going on to PhD’s? (I only ask because I’ve seen other Master programs say they will accept conversion degrees, which led me to wonder if it would be hard to get into a PhD with only a conversion degree.) We do not have ‘conversion’ degrees in America, so am unsure what they could be compared to.
    3. Finally. Does school reputation matter as far as Conversion courses? Will it hurt me to go to a less well-known school when it comes time to apply for PhD programs? I ask because I'm starting to notice that price tag correlates with school ranking. (Ex: Middlesex is vastly cheaper than the other ones I listed.)

Thanks for reading! Any advice you could offer me would be appreciated! If you have gone through a similar career change/path, would love to hear your experiences.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jubial)
    In the UK, with no centralisation of PG applications, the convention is to accept all offers until you hold the hand of offers you can make your final decision from, then you reject all previous acceptances.

I'd suggest caution, Psychology has become very popular in recent years, and there are many more graduates than there are roles.

Contrary to TSR conventions, there's a reason why some courses are more expensive than others - it's basic economics - the market decides they are of more value. It's like buying a car - sure, you can get around in a jalopy, but if you want speed, security, fuel efficiency, all mod cons, you have to pay more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    In the UK, with no centralisation of PG applications, the convention is to accept all offers until you hold the hand of offers you can make your final decision from, then you reject all previous acceptances.

I'd suggest caution, Psychology has become very popular in recent years, and there are many more graduates than there are roles.

Contrary to TSR conventions, there's a reason why some courses are more expensive than others - it's basic economics - the market decides they are of more value. It's like buying a car - sure, you can get around in a jalopy, but if you want speed, security, fuel efficiency, all mod cons, you have to pay more.
    Thanks! That is helpful to know about the acceptances.

Yah, I realize that Psychology is popular but I like to follow the wisdom that if you truly love something, the money and job opportunities will follow...one way or the other! So not too concerned about that. I already made the mistake of choosing a career path based on salary and job openings and that ended up being a bust haha. Appreciate the advice though!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello! I am new to these forums and was hoping I could get some advice from those who are currently studying or applying for a Postgraduate degree in Psychology in the UK. My husband got transferred to London for his job, which is why I’m applying for graduate school in the UK (we’re from America!). I had a couple of questions and would love to hear everyone’s advice and opinions!

I have an undergraduate degree in Finance and have worked as a Consultant for Ernst & Young for a few years, but am interested in doing a career change into Psychology since that’s were my true passion is (I was stupid when younger and fell for the glamorous/high paying consulting lifestyle and am regretting it now.) So here I am!

I have applied to the following schools for a Masters in Psychology Conversion:
    1. University of Edinburgh - Pending
    2. University of St. Andrews - Pending
    3. University of Sussex - Pending
    4. University of Glasgow - Pending
    5. University of Surrey - Pending
    6. Middlesex University - Accepted
    7. University of Bristol - Pending

Questions:
    1. What are the timelines for accepting Postgraduate offers in the UK? Is it different per school? I got an email from the Psychology department at Middlesex saying I was accepted and would receive my offer letter next week, but they wanted me to inform them if I intend on accepting (I haven’t even seen the letter yet!). How would I respond to this email? Is it okay to say I’m still waiting on responses from other schools? Not sure what the protocol is for this. Found it weird they were wanting me to commit without even seeing the letter yet.
    2. I am interested in a career change into Clinical Psychology (kind of toying with the idea of Forensic Psychology as well but that’s probably a whole other conversation). I like helping people and half of my family is in the medical field, so I’m pretty certain I would enjoy this occupation. I know I probably need a PhD for this. Will most PhD programs treat a conversion degree in Psychology the same as a regular degree? Or do people who get Conversion Masters usually apply for another Masters in Psychology before going on to PhD’s? (I only ask because I’ve seen other Master programs say they will accept conversion degrees, which led me to wonder if it would be hard to get into a PhD with only a conversion degree.) We do not have ‘conversion’ degrees in America, so am unsure what they could be compared to.
    3. Finally. Does school reputation matter as far as Conversion courses? Will it hurt me to go to a less well-known school when it comes time to apply for PhD programs? I ask because I'm starting to notice that price tag correlates with school ranking. (Ex: Middlesex is vastly cheaper than the other ones I listed.)

Thanks for reading! Any advice you could offer me would be appreciated! If you have gone through a similar career change/path, would love to hear your experiences.
    Hi Jubial,

I hope you don't mind me popping by your thread!

I just wanted to suggest speaking to the admissions adviser for each of the programmes you've applied for. They are likely to be able to help in terms of answering the questions you've asked above, and may even be able to put you in touch with current students/academics on your programme of choice. This will give a better insight into the course and the opportunities that arise after graduation.

Please feel free to give Surrey's Admissions team a call on +44(0)1483682222 to have a chat with them about this. I'm sure the other universities you've listed will also be more than happy to have a conversation about this with you

I wish you and your husband the best of luck with your move to the UK!

All the best,
    Ashley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Surrey)
    Hi Jubial,

I hope you don't mind me popping by your thread!

I just wanted to suggest speaking to the admissions adviser for each of the programmes you've applied for. They are likely to be able to help in terms of answering the questions you've asked above, and may even be able to put you in touch with current students/academics on your programme of choice. This will give a better insight into the course and the opportunities that arise after graduation.

Please feel free to give Surrey's Admissions team a call on +44(0)1483682222 to have a chat with them about this. I'm sure the other universities you've listed will also be more than happy to have a conversation about this with you

I wish you and your husband the best of luck with your move to the UK!

All the best,
    Ashley
    Hi Ashley,

Thank you for the comment! I am actually in the process of getting in contact with Surrey about some of those questions. I appreciate the advice and guidance!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Ashley,

Thank you for the comment! I am actually in the process of getting in contact with Surrey about some of those questions. I appreciate the advice and guidance!
    No problem at all, happy to help!

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.