Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hello everyone,

    My query is quite specific but any advice from those who have taken either of the courses above or have relevant work experience would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to get a job as an elearning designer. I’ve worked as a writer for about five years, three of which have been spent writing educational resources. I also had a short spell as an A Level Philosophy teacher. So, I think I’ve got some relevant work experience.

    However, having looked through the job listings, most employers want to hire people who have a mixture of theoretical knowledge and tech skills (Adobe creative suite and a bit of web coding usually). Since it’s a relatively new area, there are not many universities offer degrees in eLearning (or the closely related field of Instructional Design). Those which do tend to charge a fortune, and seem theory-focussed. Yet I tend to think that what will get me a job is somehow demonstrating I have the requisite technical skills.

    Here is where the open university comes in: I’ve had a look through their prospectus and the closest thing they offer to an eLearning/instructional design course is the Online and Distance Education programme. I’d only be looking to do a pg. cert: http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/qualifications/c23. My worry is that I’d probably be reading a lot of educational theory and there wouldn’t be much of a practical element. By contrast, the Computing & IT and Design course looks like it could be more practical. It also seems like a handy thing to have on the CV for any job in creative fields. That said, parts of the course description sound a bit wishy-washy.

    So, my main question is: do these courses require you to do practical work (i.e. making things which I could then show to a future employer)? Or is it largely reading theory and writing essays?

    My apologies for the length: I’m going to be posting similar stuff across the internet so thought I’d get it all down at once!

    As I said at the outset, any advice will be greatly appreciated,
    • TSR Community Team

    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

    Generally speaking the Design course is more practical. For example in U101 in the design pathway the OU send you a blank white T-shirt and have you design something to go on it for a TMA All the post graduate stuff is generally hardcore academia as its designed to prepare you for research degrees.
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.